Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Enquist on early commits

What's on your mind?

by PairOfAces » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:33 am

Mark H wrote:EFC-expected family contribution

This may be a stupid question, but does that mean EFC for an expensive private school, or any school. For example, say I have 50k in my kid's college account, which will pay for a decent 4 year state u education, but is only enough for a year of an expensive private school. Would my kid qualify for aid to the private school?
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:36 pm

If a kid is going to a public school (experience) you WILL fill out a FAFSA...whether you want to or not...

I can tell you if you make much above the poverty line (or fib) you wont be getting any Pell Grant money,

Pair of Aces, yes you can receive Pell Grant money at private schools also (collegiate level that is)For now anyway
I THINK anyway...know some folks who use military based Federal programs, not loans....cant use Federal loans at a private place anymore) at a NAIA school
Thats why ITT went out of business
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:29 pm

PairOfAces wrote:This may be a stupid question, but does that mean EFC for an expensive private school, or any school. For example, say I have 50k in my kid's college account, which will pay for a decent 4 year state u education, but is only enough for a year of an expensive private school. Would my kid qualify for aid to the private school?

Financial aid encompasses grants/scholarships and loans (see https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/types). Federal grants (e.g. Pell) aren't very large and are geared for low income families:

"The maximum award for the 2015-2016 academic year is $5,775. Your eligibility is decided by the FAFSA. Students whose total family income is $50,000 a year or less qualify, but most Pell grant money goes to students with a total family income below $20,000."

Federal subsized and unsubsidized loans ($5,500-7,500/year; $31K total) aren't large enough to cover the additional cost of a private school.

Private schools also have families fill out FAFSA to determine the availability of government aid before they determine remaining need, so don't get freaked out by what FAFSA shows. Private schools tend to be more generous with their academic aid and ones with large endowments are very generous with need-based aid (e.g. Ivies).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:08 pm

PairOfAces wrote:

This may be a stupid question, but does that mean EFC for an expensive private school, or any school. For example, say I have 50k in my kid's college account, which will pay for a decent 4 year state u education, but is only enough for a year of an expensive private school. Would my kid qualify for aid to the private school?

Different schools have more or less money to give. Sticker price means nothing. Apply to the school of your dreams and see how the financial aid offer comes back. At the same time have a back up plan with a school you KNOW you can afford. This applies to all students, not just athletes. With athletes, coaches know about what they can work out beyond the athletic money they control. It all varies.

So to answer your question with an example. Two schools-one costs 10K per year to use round numbers. The other costs 50K per year. You fill out the FAFSA and it says your EFC is 10K. If both schools cover 100% of need, they will cost you the same. Having said that, again, you never know till you get the offer back from financial aid. Depending on your finances and her academics, it may be cheaper to go to the higher sticker price school if the less expensive school doesn't cover 100& of need or has less academic money. Now mix in athletic money and it gets more complicated. Coach may offer X% with the understanding anything they can get covered by academic money will replace the athletic money...or not. It's all a negotiation and the coach has more practice.

Never save money in your kid's name. You can know it's her college fund but put it in your name. They will want a much bigger percentage of her money than they will of your money.
Mark H

by Mark H » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
If a kid is going to a public school (experience) you WILL fill out a FAFSA...whether you want to or not...

Did someone say otherwise? Mine all went private and we filled it out. Public and private-Sounds like everyone to me. Unless DD is getting a big athletic ride or your name is Trump.

Pale Rider wrote:I can tell you if you make much above the poverty line (or fib) you wont be getting any Pell Grant money,
Fill out the FAFSA, apply to the colleges of your choice and see what financial aid says. I can tell you results vary all over the map. It usually ends up a little painful but doable. Debt may be involved. If I come out of MIT with an engineering degree and a bunch of debt, I'm ok with that. If I come out of Big State U with a philosophy degree and big debt, not so much.

Academic money is always better than athletic money since the student controls it. Make your grades keep your money.
Mark H

by Mark H » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:21 pm

PDad wrote:Private schools also have families fill out FAFSA to determine the availability of government aid before they determine remaining need, so don't get freaked out by what FAFSA shows. Private schools tend to be more generous with their academic aid and ones with large endowments are very generous with need-based aid (e.g. Ivies).

Yes. I would say it this way, the more expensive schools tend to have the most need based aid. Make your choices, apply and see what happens.
Mark H

by Pale Rider » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Didnt say private schools did or didnt... You made it sound like a filling out the magic FAFSA and 'VOILA!!!' all is well... and that just is not a true statement.

Back to original post.. .besides the fact monies cant be discussed by coaches publicly shes spot-on
The jest of the post and her video was the ridiculous recruiting at pre-pubescent ages and using lots of fuzzy math doing it...
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Pale Rider wrote:Didnt say private schools did or didnt... You made it sound like a filling out the magic FAFSA and 'VOILA!!!' all is well... and that just is not a true statement.

Back to original post.. .besides the fact monies cant be discussed by coaches publicly shes spot-on
The jest of the post and her video was the ridiculous recruiting at pre-pubescent ages and using lots of fuzzy math doing it...

For those watching at home, and possibly wondering:

jest = meant as a joke
gist = the intended meaning

My paraphrase; use dictionary.com if you need more definition.

My assumption; he meant gist, not jest.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:33 am

UmpSteve wrote:For those watching at home, and possibly wondering:

jest = meant as a joke

For an ump, you see well...You are correct, I'm old and it was almost 2200...approx 1hr past my bedtime ;)
While I jest, the gist is still the same
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Mark H » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:05 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:Didnt say private schools did or didnt... You made it sound like a filling out the magic FAFSA and 'VOILA!!!' all is well... and that just is not a true statement.

For those watching at home, and possibly wondering:

jest = meant as a joke

Just a jest on the gist?
Mark H

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions