Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

12u's Playing for Cash Money

What's on your mind?

by anonlooker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Just saw a PSSG tournament offering Cash to the winning teams.

$1250 to the winner in each age group.
$500 to the runner up.

Limited to 28 teams, at $500 buy in per.

That's $14,000 in entry fees, $1750 out in prize money, per age group, plus tourney expenses. Gee, could they be making any money here?

A little? Really? Gee, thank you, you're really on to something!!

This is great!! Way to step up to the plate!! Thank you again!

Now if we can just get the Gulf States interested in TB, soon we can all go play in Dubai for millions of petro-Euros and start signing our stud pitchers and sluggers to multi-year deals with incentives like sporty pink convertibles when they turn 16, and family relocation expenses (oh, you'd like a house across the street from our new multimillion $ indoor training facility? How about this one on the 17th fairway of our private golf course?).

Now if we can just find a way to hide all this from those pesky folks at the NCAA...

And not to put any (extra) pressure on you, sweet DD, but you know that iPhone you've been wanting? well a bases-clearing double right now -

Hmmm... I wonder how much the ump is making...?

Ahem.

Not to be too cynical, but in the Wild Wild West that is TB, once these kids start playing for cash $$ it's only a matter of time before the bad guys ride into town, and without a sheriff around...

Am I being simple, naive and idealistic? I'd sooner donate $1250 to my DD's team than put that kind of pressure on her and her team mates. It will come soon enough in HS and at exposure tournaments. Do they really need it at 10, 12, and 14u??

And I can't help but think that once this starts, there ain't no stopping it. Read it again - once you start telling your children to play for cash money...

Until, of course, that one article in the LA Times or OC Register, and this whole thing blows up, and takes some (otherwise) good people with it.

And until then, make sure you set up a team contingency fund for attorney's fees, because anywhere there is money, there are lawyers. Blood to sharks.

Ahem, AHEM.

These are our children, you F*@#g idiots!

BACK THE EFF OFF!!
Last edited by anonlooker on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by wadeintothem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:46 pm

I dunno.. parents can't hardly control themselves when a $10 Tshirt is on the line...
Last edited by wadeintothem on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Randi Jo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:31 pm

This tournament appears to be in direct violation of ASA - Manager/Coach Agreement

Yellowbook page 32-33

20. Shall not allow the team to compete in any tournament in which cash prizes are awarded.
Randi Jo

by chatterbox » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:44 pm

I know it's not softball, but there are many dance teams that enter competitions to win money and these girls are from age 4-high school. Seems to work out great for them! They perform great, they earn money. Each child gets a piece of the pie and it goes directly into their own account. I don't really see the problem of softball teams earning money for winning a tournament. In my opinion, you pay so much $$ to play travel ball, what's wrong with getting a little back if you win?
chatterbox

by BIG PAPA 18 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:47 am

Spazsdad wrote:According to the above quoted rule I guess ASA in SoCal does see a problem with it.

PSSG is trying to give back to these teams that spend a tremendous amount of money on travel, wich we all know to well how expensive that gets. IMO. Spaz I am with you. (Let them play).
BIG PAPA 18

by Skarp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 pm

Spazsdad wrote: what is wrong with playing in a tournament that also has the potential of being a fundraiser. Teams regularly pay $400-500 to enter tournaments and get nothing in return but 12 medals or t-shirts.

Without commenting on the larger issue, I'm not sure I buy this reasoning. A tournament like this is a zero-sum game. Every dollar used for prize money is a dollar charged to the losing teams. So teams that arguably need the money more wind up paying a team that arguably needs the money less (if softball excellence is the goal toward which the money will be invested). If the money was coming from outside, that would be different.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pure Stats » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:21 pm

In regards to some good insight by a lot of you, and we really thank the individuals that gave us legimate responses. It does appear that a cash prize is in violations to the 2008 SoCal ASA Managers Yellow Book. Page 33 #20 (Thanks Intel). We have been doing our due deligence today with calls out to the right people.

We would also like to clarify as to why we were offering a cash prize for the winning teams in each division. As we have been developing our business we have been in contact with alot of teams and have talked with alot of coaches. The same topic of team expenses was brought up in every conversation. We wanted to provide an avenue for some teams to gain some additional revenue for their team travels. It was never directed towards the players, it was to help the teams, just as a poker tournament, a car wash or a golf tournament would do.

PSSG intentions were to never jeapordize a team, a player or a manager from offering this type of prize package. Our goal is to give back more than a metal, trophy or a shirt.

We are sorry for the uproar this has caused, and we really thank the ones that have been in support of PSSG.

We will keep everyone posted as to our developments and to the prize package for this event.

Thanks again PSSG
Pure Stats

by Big Mamma » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Spazdad is the prophet here. I think there would be hundreds of teams salivating at the opportunity to play in this event if there wasn't a rule that stated no cash prizes. The bottom line is that we all pay good money for our children to be apart of the sport, and I don't see nothing wrong with having a company out there realize that to be fact.

Our goal as parents and coaches is to teach our children sportsmanship, teamwork, fundamentals, competitiveness and how to win. I don't believe none of us are telling our daughters, "hey look honey you need to win this weekend cause there's $200 in it for you". C'mon. Rules are rules and none of us want to break them, but let's get real. I just hope PSSG figures it out, cause their on to something.

I notion Spazdad the next president of the United States.hahaha (atleast he speaks the truth). Good Job Spaz!!!!
Big Mamma

by Skarp » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Big Mamma wrote:I think there would be hundreds of teams salivating at the opportunity to play in this event if there wasn't a rule that stated no cash prizes.

Perhaps at first, but my prediction is that the reverse will ultimately be the case. There are only a handful of teams in each division that have a realistic chance of taking home the dough (or RocketTechs) in these tournaments. Other teams will eventually figure that out and grow tired of paying a premium entry fee just to get bounced after one game on Sunday. Moreover, the teams that are capable of winning such prizes will obtain an additional recruiting advantage over the second-tier teams. This will further exacerbate the talent disparity in such tournaments, resulting in even fewer entries down the line.

It's the Law of Unintended Consequences. :o

I think everyone appreciates PSSG's efforts to bring innovation and energy to the sport, but I'm not convinced this is the best idea.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TulsaEliteGold » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't know anything about PSSG, but here are a couple ideas that may work for you instead of "CASH". You would still want to run it by your ASA Representative first, because I am not sure how they would view this either.

Offer Prizes that travel teams can still benefit from in place of the cash:
Examples-
A) Pre-Paid Gas Cards for a Major Fuel Store in the Region (What Team could not use this?)
B) Gift-Cards to Hotel Chains, Restuarants, Sporting Goods Stores, etc that ANY team could benefit from
C) Vouchers for FREE Entry into a future PSSG Tournament
Maybe even put together three different Champions Packages consisting of a mixture of all of the above for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
Jeff Filali
Asst Softball Coach
Butler Comm College - 25+ D1 Signees since '11
www.butlergrizzlies.com

Founder/GM/Coach
Tulsa Elite Softball - 130+ College Commits since '08
www.tulsaelite.org

eM: jeff@TulsaElite.org
Ph: 918-951-7142
TulsaEliteGold

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions