Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What is the LITMUS Test For Recruiting and Coaching?

What's on your mind?

by SoftballInSoCal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:16 pm

I need help Heybucket...I am baffled with the number of coaches here in Southern California calling themselves Elite Coaches, College Recruiters etc.

I've been around long enough to see a trend developing within the last 18 months. It seems every Tom, Dick and Harry are fishing for the hard earned money of parents to send their kids to their workouts, combines etc., with hopes of a coveted College Scholarship.

On the surface it looks appealing, They advertise all the colleges that will be in attendance and to bring your child and your money to get "Noticed". They throw out names like OnDeck, FastPitch Recruits etc., but you never see the resume..

In no other area or business can anyone make quick money by a simple advertisement. The competition for the Travel Ball Dollar has escalated and it seams that parents are eager to throw money in any direction.

I AM ASKING SIMPLY "WHAT ONE WOULD CALL A LEGITIMATE TRAVEL BALL COACH/COMBINE?"

Its time parents start asking questions and demanding proof. From my perspective their aren't a whole lot of coaches that have the experience, expertise or clout to truly represent Travel Softball Players.
A Clear Conscience Makes For A Soft Pillow!
SoftballInSoCal
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softball65 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:23 pm

I'm not really sure what your getting at other than perhaps the frustration of paying a lot of money to get your kid seen.?? :?

What I can say is there has been a move recently (last several years) that people are putting camps/combines together with the selling point of getting kids seen, that are not on any given campus. Not a new concept but more and more are popping up because its a win win for all invovled. These are becoming more and more popular because they make the organizer a bunch of money and most if not all of the coaches are paid handsomely to be there, as they are the draw to get the recruits and their parents $$, to the event. And then the coaches can simply teach and leave if they'd like or actually even recruit. I've seen coaches who are there only to teach and leave....others a heavily into recruiting. Its win-win-win really, as I see it.

Its expensive to us parents but these are really great opportunities to get in front of these coaches, some we may never have made an effort to get to their campus AND to be able to talk to them and interact with them, which the girls and parents can not do at a showcase event. And its big bang for the buck in that ya get in front of 10,20, 30 coaches in a day.

Sure, the girls may learn a thing or 2 but the value is in the bang for the buck, getting seen by numerous universities in one event. Other than the cost, there really is no down side. My kid was recruited ultimately as a result of coaches seeing her at multiple camps like this and having the ability to track her progress.trajectory. I am a big proponent for camps. Got spend your money wisely but if you do, I feel like they are well worth it. And they girls get some solid reps also.
softball65

by extiger » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Elite Coaches don't self advertise. Everyone just know who they are.
extiger
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SoftballInSoCal » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Extiger...I have to agree with you that. Thanks for your input.

Softball65 - I agree with you too. Many of the College Coaches are paid to come to some of these camps but are not recruiting at them. More often then not though there is no guidance for the Travel Parent and Player. It becomes a cattle call and some kids are put on this stage after paying handsomely and they are not prepared...They see SEC and Pac12 Schools and since its their daughters dream school etc., they struggle to make a good first impression.

Take the Allistar On Deck camp for example...they have an audition so to speak before they let the kids be seen by these colleges. They are providing a stage for the athlete and school...That is the Win Win you referred to. Most camps don't do that and the camp hosts doesn't have any idea of most of the kids there. That's the cattle call that I am referring to.

Pay your money, line up and have at it. Its leaves the College wondering WTH is going on and the Parents and Players wondering where the offer is.

More and more of these camps are popping up and there is no LITMUS test for the guys putting these camps together!!!
A Clear Conscience Makes For A Soft Pillow!
SoftballInSoCal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions