Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitching Rotation

What's on your mind?

by webster » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:58 am

I need some help. I have 5 pitchers and need some help from the seasoned 10u coaches. We play in alot of tournaments that have 6 teams with pool play then double elimination bracket play.

Pitcher # 1 is a #1 on almost any team

Pitcher # 2, 3, 4 would be maybe 3 or 4's on other teams

Pitcher # 5 & 6 are just that 5 & 6 still learning. :?: :?:

My question is what would your rotation be for day 1 & then on day 2.

Thanks for your help!
webster

by Cannonball » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:12 pm

I would ask you what your intent is in league? We played tournaments to win and league to give all players chances to play where they wanted when my dd was 10U. Of course we could do that and still content for league titles.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by isnt she fancy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:37 pm

First, I am not a seasoned 10U coach. Therefore, take my opinion as an educated MOM. I have had 2 girls go throught 10U as pitchers. Don't overwork your #1. You need to look out for her best interests as well as the teams. A game a day is plenty and sometimes 2 is okay also. It depends upon her mechanics and stamina. Work your 2, 3 and sometimes the 4 in because you need them to progress quickly. The others?, when all else fails, give them a chance to prove themselves. Besides not wanting to overwork your pitcher's arm/shoulder/body, consider that additional fatigue may slow her down, make her easier to hit and less agile and able to defend herself.
isnt she fancy

by NuNu's Dad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:05 am

6 pitchers is way too many.

You will have to use the first 3 for the bulk of the work. Most likely #4 won't get too many opportunities. Five and six can work some friendlies or BP, but really need to move on to where they can pitch.

If you divide the innings up too much, no one will get enough work, and all will struggle. Most teams will have 3 full time pitchers, with a 4th that is mostly a position player who can fill in during a time when one of the other three is injured or absent.

During a weekend qualifier those three will get a ton of work. During a week long tourney with games spread out, #1 gets all the innings until you hit the losers bracket.

The is MHO, but the way it works out for most teams.
NuNu's Dad

by Tucson » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:56 am

There is a shortage of pitchers. Don't discourage girls at age 10. The ones that are struggling at age 10 and 12, might become someone to contend with at age 14. Sure, the top 3 are going to get the most work, because they are game ready, but give the bottom three something to work towards. Maybe they could throw during a scrimmage and batting practice.

It doesn't hurt your batters to see some slow stuff.
Tucson

by webster » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:18 am

Thanks for the responses.

The other thing I need to add is that last year I felt like I might have over used my #1. If you play 3 games on day 1 and 6 to 7 games on day 2 which games do you pitch #1. #2,3, & 4 will be based on warm up and who is throwing better. I just don't want to over use my #1 and hurt her.
webster

Return to Fastpitch Discussions