Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Top 10 Travel Coaches (No Cal/So Cal)?

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm

dan wrote:Even though we seem to complain about coaching in reality we have some pretty good ones in Southern California.

I will add to the list:can't leave out:

GEORGE ARAUJO:Lakewood Ladies,geat developer(teacher).just look at the players he still has since 8u/10u.

[b]BILL JACKSON :Fircrackers,bills teams are always ready to play.

MIKE SMITH:Corona Angels: Successful from 10u thru high school. proven track record.

best payed coaches (my kids have had )

HOWARD KOBATA and BRIAN TURANG..INFIELD

BOTH WORTH EVERY PENNY.....how about hitting and pitching ,payed coaches?????

DAN....

Kubota is an excellent fielding instructor, but I would never send a kid to him for instruction. You can buy his video and save your child from being berated and sent crying into the stands by his junior instructor, Jesse. He is probably the worst individual instructor I have seen in my 30 years around the game. Bullys and berates 10, 11, 12 year old children. Howard is much different, but chooses to associate himself with this spineless cretin.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by socalsoftball » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Can I ask a question to some of the experienced parents and or coaches in here as I am new to the travel softball scene. It seems to me that the older coaches tend to be less abusive to the girls then are the younger coaches. Is this mostly true? If so do you think more younger coaches should look to older coaches as an example on how to coach girls with class?
My observation is that it is mostly the 10U and 12U coaches yell at there players. Are there coaches in the upper age groups that yell as well?
socalsoftball

by Sam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 pm

socalsoftball wrote:Can I ask a question to some of the experienced parents and or coaches in here as I am new to the travel softball scene. It seems to me that the older coaches tend to be less abusive to the girls then are the younger coaches. Is this mostly true? If so do you think more younger coaches should look to older coaches as an example on how to coach girls with class?
My observation is that it is mostly the 10U and 12U coaches yell at there players. Are there coaches in the upper age groups that yell as well?

Abusiveness knows no age....but....10U and 12U coaches normally have a higher testosterone level than most of us at the upper levels. That said, I've considered starting off at 10U or 12U again....those kids would see a different coach than I was before. I probably tell my 18 Gold players that this is a game and they should have fun doing it about a hundred times more than I ever told my 10U and 12U kids. Its a totally backward approach, but it was something that I finally realized after a few years of living and dying on every single pitch of every single friendly, qualifier, nationals, or scrimmage game. I'm a much different coach and a much different parent. There are quite a few high testosterone coaches at 18 Gold, though....and they are pretty well known.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by socalsoftball » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:04 pm

That's is what I was figuring. It seems like for many of the 10u and 12u coaches it is their first time thru, and they jump all over these young girls yelling at them for making mistakes when the girl already knows she made a mistake. My opinion is that yelling doesn't reinforce anything especially during the course of a game in front of everyone. Yelling at practice may be a different story. It will be interesting to see how these 10u and 12U coaches mature through the years. Are you willing to say who the yellers are in the upper division?
socalsoftball

by 2smoove » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:39 am

It is much easier to enter the travel ball coaching world at the younger levels. Not many parents are going to allow their daughter to play at the Gold level for a novice coach. As a result, many of the younger coaches may be a bit overzealous in attempt to show that they are in control of the team (and not the other way around).

However, as stated earlier in this message, many of the seasoned 14U, 16U, 18U and Gold coaches can be rather extreme when it comes to yelling, screaming and berating. This hold true for both male and female coaches. I can't understand why any parent would put up with it.

On the other hand, I guess it is similar to folks who sent there kids to IU when Bobby Knight was still there. He won championships and did get his players through school. I always wondered if he could have achieved the same level of success without the "extreme" behavior.
2smoove

by TulsaEliteGold » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:24 am

I always wondered if part of why Knight coached that way had anything to do with the fact he started out as an Asst at ARMY/West-Point and then took over ARMY becoming the youngest head coach in College History at 24.
Jeff Filali
Asst Softball Coach
Butler Comm College - 25+ D1 Signees since '11
www.butlergrizzlies.com

Founder/GM/Coach
Tulsa Elite Softball - 130+ College Commits since '08
www.tulsaelite.org

eM: jeff@TulsaElite.org
Ph: 918-951-7142
TulsaEliteGold

by 2smoove » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Nah,