Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Batting 12,13,14...

What's on your mind?

by SoCal10UDude » Tue May 24, 2016 11:57 am

Hey everyone, there is a lot of research and statistics with regards to batting 9. But in showcases, friendlies, even pool play in tournaments you often bat everyone, sometimes its a choice, other times not. I really could not find any research in optimizing a line-up of 12,13,14 girls in a line up...

Does anyone have any info even anecdotally they have done to optimize a line up of this size?

e.g. normal 1-9, 10-13 just your best 3 after that and hope for the best to get back to the top?

Anyways, I am interested in knowing what other people are doing to optimize to just keep stringing a long hits and runs.

Thanks.
SoCal10UDude

by jtat32 » Tue May 24, 2016 3:02 pm

I doubt there's a whole lot of research on this, but I'd organize my batting order into two separate orders. I never carried more than 13, but if I was batting them all I would have my usual 1-7 at the top, and then I'd have the other 6 arranged like a separate line up - 8 lead off type, 9 number two type, and so on. I'd also flip it around a lot at showcases, so that 8-13 would be 1-6 and 1-7 would be 7-13.

Somebody may have better advice.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SoCal10UDude » Mon May 30, 2016 11:38 am

I corresponded with an Analytics professor at GA Tech who did a paper on batting 1-9. I asked him about doing 1-12 etc and he couldn't find any research on the topic either. But he replied with this:
-----------------------------
(1) First, group all the batters who are above average at getting on base but not at driving others home.

(2) Second, group all the batters who are above average at both getting on base and at driving others home.

(3) Third, group all the batters who are above average at driving others home but not at getting on base.

(4) Fourth, group all the batters who are below average at both.
------------------------------

Based on this reply, this would grey / blur the line of the typical 1-3, and 4 batters. So you might build a line-up of 1-4 or 1-5 who have high on base % and a typical "cleanup" type hitter would bat #5, #6 etc.
SoCal10UDude

by CheckWriter » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:14 am

DD played on a team that went on to win the ASA 16U national championship (pre PGF) and in show case and non elimination they would set the batting order, for the weekend, according to what they thought was best to "worst". But, who ever was on deck at the end of a game would start the next. Was always great when the opposing coach would yell out "#9 hitter" and it happened to be our Crystal Bustos Jr. Never more than one AB disparity between any two girls for the weekend.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions