Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

PSSG CASH MONEY TOURNAMENT

What's on your mind?

by Pure Stats » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:50 pm

PSSG IS EXCITED TO PRESENT THE 1ST ANNUAL $$$CASH MONEY TOURNAMENT$$$ FOR 12U AND 14U ON APRIL 19TH - 20TH. THIS EVENT WILL BE AT THE BEAUMONT CHERRY VALLEY PARK. RV PARKING AND FULL HOOK UPS ARE AVAILABLE.

1ST PLACE = $1,250.00 IN EACH DIVISION
2ND PLACE = $500.00 IN EACH DIVISION
(BASED ON 25 TEAMS)

A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO WIN SOME MONEY FOR YOUR TEAMS TRAVELS.

LIMITED TO 28 TEAMS.

PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE FOR MORE DETAILS.
http://www.purestatssportsgroup.com
Pure Stats

by Big Mamma » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:54 am

Good Job PSSG. Your group is starting to make a name for itself. Keep it up.
Big Mamma

by Randi Jo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:34 pm

While the cash seems enticing..This tournament appears to be in direct violation of ASA - Manager/Coach Agreement

Yellowbook page 32-33

20. Shall not allow the team to compete in any tournament in which cash prizes are awarded.
Randi Jo

by jofus » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:00 pm

I may have missed it, but I didn't see where it stated the tournament was ASA sanctioned?
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by wadeintothem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:27 pm

jofus wrote:I may have missed it, but I didn't see where it stated the tournament was ASA sanctioned?

I dont either; however, after she posted that I looked in the ASA Code and it definitely forbids JO teams from competing in Cash Tournaments.
ARticle 509 F 3.. (Page 64)

No JO Player may participate in any tournament in which Cash prizes are awarded..

Seems pretty black and white.

I'm not sure how that could affect ASA Teams like Corona Angels, Cal Legacy, or Bombsquad who participate in these tournies... if word got out.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Spazsdad wrote:What about tournaments that give you back your entry fee? Is that a cash award?

MTR is a good ASA Code guy, I just don't pay very much attention to ASA Code and its not relevant to what I do.. Maybe he will check-in and knows the scoop on this type of stuff.

I would hope none of these teams faced suspension from ASA Championship play or anything like that if their coaches did a bone headed thing like violate ASA code without finding out first... for a few bucks.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Randi Jo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:12 pm

The good news is that no one is in violation yet, as the tournament is scheduled for Apr 19-20. So , PSSG has time to re-think their prize package.

While it is not an ASA sanctioned event, travel teams are held to the ASA code if they intend to play in Championship Play. The consequence for participation is suspension for players, managers and coaches for up to a year.

IMO - I would say that refunding the tournament entry fee is a cash payment, but is free entry into the next tournament??? I know ASA pays the national entry fee for its first place state finisher.

I thought this would be a great fund raiser for our team too and was going to sign up - but I remembered reading that "cash award" in the codes...

Now moving into the grey area...

Let's see is a $5 Cold Stone Gift Certificate a cash prize? If not, then
What about a gift certificate to a hotel chain or airline miles?
What if thye paid the team's entry to the state tournament?
What about a gift cert to sporting goods so the team could buy new uniforms or equip?
Randi Jo

by Skarp » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Yeah, the Amateur Softball Association is pretty pesky about that whole "amateur" thing. Pffff....these kids are in their prime earning years! I say we take 'em pro. Just think of it; salaries, agents, endorsements, betting lines, and, most importantly, professional snack bar management!!! :mrgreen:
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pure Stats » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:48 pm

Randi thank you very much for the insight. We know how expensive travel ball is these days and we were just trying to figure the best way to assist teams with their travel expenses. We would appreciate any ideas you would have to allow us to still pull this tournament off. The last thing we want to do is put any team, player or coach in jeapordy of supspension. We appreciate any feedback any of you would have in this matter.

Thanks,

PSSG
Pure Stats

by wadeintothem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Pure Stats wrote:Randi thank you very much for the insight. We know how expensive travel ball is these days and we were just trying to figure the best way to assist teams with their travel expenses. We would appreciate any ideas you would have to allow us to still pull this tournament off. The last thing we want to do is put any team, player or coach in jeapordy of supspension. We appreciate any feedback any of you would have in this matter.

Thanks,

PSSG

Why dont you contact Region 14

Their contacts are listed here:

http://region14.com/phone.htm

It would be a shame to have good teams and programs find themselves in hot water.

The code says cash.. It doesnt say anything about prizes (that I know of!! I'm no expert!!). Those RocketTechs and stuff seem like great tourney prizes to me.

Find a JO Commish and clear it.

I for one am glad to see you concerned.. I started to think this was a pretty shady thing going on. Good job.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions