AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:10 am

PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:TD park holds 24k( not 40) besides alumni, parents and a few locals- who's going. An ncaa basketball regional( men's or women's) garners more buzz. Damn-even the lacrosse championship is bigger

TD's seating capacity is 24,505 and is reportedly expandable to 35k, however I suspect most of that is via permanent addition (e.g. expanding 2nd tier all the way around the park) and don't know how much is possible temporarily for CWS. Their record high is 28,846 at last year's CWS.

Men's basketball is a major revenue sport, so it is not a relevant comparison. I disagree with the "buzz" garnered overall by the women's regionals.

You're wrong about LAX because D-I only drew 26,749 for the final and 33K combined for the 2 semi's this year. Perhaps you're thinking of when LAX had much more higher attendance - http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-06-18/ncaa-is-studying-lacrosse-championship-s-42-attendance-skid.

Congrats to your son's school for getting to the D-III semi's this year - too bad they didn't make it to the finals in Philthy-delphia where the D-I and D-II finals were also held.

Are you an ex-LAX player?

I am sure the facilities are great and the the payers aim for "Omaha" the same way softball players aim for "OKC" I also know that due to all the arrangements and contracts signed the argument is moot, but IMO having the annual championship in a somewhat isolated location keeps the game and brand insular and hinders its spread in popularity. Frankly I think OKC does the same to softball to som extent.

Softball benefits from being a great TV sport, the games move quickly and are full of action. College baseball is drawn out, the non-wooden bats are a drawback(when compared to the professional game)

BTW- I did not play LAX, but growing up on Long Island I was surrounded by it. My High School Footnall Coach and Gym Teacher is now the Head Lacrosse Coach at University of Denver-Hall of Famer Bill Tierney. He has made it his mission to bring Lacrosse west of the Mississippi
jonriv

by PDad » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:06 am

jonriv wrote:Softball benefits from being a great TV sport, the games move quickly and are full of action. College baseball is drawn out, the non-wooden bats are a drawback(when compared to the professional game)

I agree softball is better for fans that want to watch all the games on tv. The shorter games allow more games per day, which results in a 6-7 day schedule instead of CWS's 11-12 days.

Your view on college baseball vs professional is outdated. NCAA went to the wood-like BBCOR standard in 2011. In 2015, NCAA went from their raised-seam ball to a flat-seamed one like MinorLB uses, primarily because the flat-seamed balls fly farther (e.g. 387' vs 367'). They also make it harder to throw breaking pitches. The seams on MLB balls are even flatter.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 am

Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote: Are you an ex-LAX player?

Pun intended? ;)

Of course! That's the only reason I asked... 8-)
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:35 am

PDad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
PDad wrote: Are you an ex-LAX player?

Pun intended? ;)

Of course! That's the only reason I asked... 8-)

8-) 8-) 8-)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions