Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

WCWS?

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Sat May 28, 2016 3:55 pm

Dugout Dad wrote:I guess I missed it, who got tossed?

Florida started the game very shaky on defense. UGA got a hit early and after a UF error, a pop up in the infield was missed by the Gators and the ball was called foul. Georgia assistant coach Tony Baldwin was ejected from the game after arguing the call. Alex Hugo singled to load the bases but a force out prevented any run damage by Georgia.

Ball was just outside RH batter's box along the line. Munro circled into position to catch it and 3B Fuller collided with her from behind. Ump's call was ball was over foul territory when they touched it. IIRC, a run would have scored if ruled fair.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Sun May 29, 2016 8:57 am

I dont want to be an ump...again...done it for years in SP...Church leagues were by far the worst...
BUT...besides some homecooking...Ive seen some beyond horrible calls...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Sun May 29, 2016 10:16 am

PDad wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:I guess I missed it, who got tossed?

Florida started the game very shaky on defense. UGA got a hit early and after a UF error, a pop up in the infield was missed by the Gators and the ball was called foul. Georgia assistant coach Tony Baldwin was ejected from the game after arguing the call. Alex Hugo singled to load the bases but a force out prevented any run damage by Georgia.

Ball was just outside RH batter's box along the line. Munro circled into position to catch it and 3B Fuller collided with her from behind. Ump's call was ball was over foul territory when they touched it. IIRC, a run would have scored if ruled fair.

Right call or wrong call, it is truly stupid, in my opinion, to escalate any discussion about a ball called foul to the point of an ejection. No matter what, that call cannot, BY RULE, be changed; so what is there to say after "I think you missed it", followed by "I KNOW you missed it"?

It can't change. If you have any value to your team, shut up after disagreeing. Or maybe his ego is more than his value to his team.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Mon May 30, 2016 5:46 am

Wow, UCLA comes back and takes it from OR...
AU comes back also.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:36 am

Thank you ESPN for using the "strike zone box" to illustrate to the viewing public that the strike zone is a mere suggestion in college softball.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:13 am

as the world turns wrote:Thank you ESPN for using the "strike zone box" to illustrate to the viewing public that the strike zone is a mere suggestion in college softball.

The home plate umpire for last night's Mich-LSU game kept calling strikes for pitches that were probably 8 inches and more outside the strike zone, but only on her left (inside pitch to RH batter). I kept thinking the batters would adjust, but I guess it's difficult when you've been taught and practiced all your life not to swing at that pitch.

The only positive I can say is that she was mostly consistent with that incorrect call. Hopefully she will see the re-broadcast and work toward improving.

I'm a little surprised no one (that I know of anyway) has talked about how Shay Knighten has an advantage over most hitters when facing Osorio since they played club ball together on the Corona Angels and Shay's dad was also her coach. The rise ball she hit for the HR was at least 6 inches above the strike zone.

My DD faced Osorio and the Angels for only 1 at bat and she struck out on her rise ball. She later told me it was the best rise she ever faced because it seemed to rise 8-12 inches at the last second. Perception is reality.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:48 am

IMO UCLA's hopes next season depend on getting back a healthy Rachel Garcia.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:08 pm

LSU's Hoover appears to be crow hopping. Anyone agree?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:07 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:LSU's Hoover appears to be crow hopping. Anyone agree?

When I watched her vs. UM last night there was something about her motion that made it look like she was replanting on the camera angles that didn't show her feet, but when I specifically watched her feet for it, I didn't see anything. Maybe I just didn't watch the right pitches, but crow hoppers tend to replant every pitch.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:05 am

jtat32 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:LSU's Hoover appears to be crow hopping. Anyone agree?

When I watched her vs. UM last night there was something about her motion that made it look like she was replanting on the camera angles that didn't show her feet, but when I specifically watched her feet for it, I didn't see anything. Maybe I just didn't watch the right pitches, but crow hoppers tend to replant every pitch.

Sorry for the late response. I'll have to re-examine her delivery with your comments in mind, thanks.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions