Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Opinion on talent?

What's on your mind?

by Fastpitch4Life » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:36 am

I have noticed that top college team's defenses are not as good as they used to be. More physical and mental errors. Anybody see the same thing?
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 am

Fastpitch4Life wrote:I have noticed that top college team's defenses are not as good as they used to be. More physical and mental errors. Anybody see the same thing?

I have a few observations based on what I saw during my kid's time playing in college but, appropriate disclosure: I know less than the average college or even TB parent when it comes to softball. My only coaching experience was a few years coaching wreck basketball so I don't know anything about coaching. That being said I was kind of shocked at some things in college softball. First thing (others in subsequent posts):

Many college softball outfielders have crappy arms and I was stunned by how many clearly don't know how to play a simple fly ball. It's painfully obvious when watching kids, even during warm ups make last second stabs at balls. My guess is that the primary reason is that college outfielders have sometimes never played in the outfield before. I doubt this was something new and I suspect it continues to this day. A question for the more knowledgeable, including relative newbs: Should a kid who intends to play college ball get some TB experience in the outfield and/or work on improving their long distance throwing ability? I understand that outfield is for the lame-o kids that aren't good enough to play in the infield but indignity during TB might be worthwhile if it makes the transition easier and prevents some of the costly errors and embarrassment.

I was surprised that the crappy outfielder arms were not taken advantage of more often. Geez, it seemed like half of left fielders couldn't make a strong, accurate throw to third let alone home if needed.

Topic of next observation: Players (college and travel) don't seem to study the game much and I wonder if coaches are a big reason why. It surely has a direct impact on their performance.

Another topic for later: College hitters face pitchers/coaches who "have a book a them", likely to a significantly greater degree than in TB. Is there anything a TB player should do to prepare that is different from just typical hitting lessons?

And another: I was shocked at the typical college player's base running skills. I expected way better at the college level. This could easily be addressed at the TB level but it apparently isn't. Odd.

'Tardolicious Squirrelicus
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
Fastpitch4Life wrote:I have noticed that top college team's defenses are not as good as they used to be. More physical and mental errors. Anybody see the same thing?

I have a few observations based on what I saw during my kid's time playing in college but, appropriate disclosure: I know less than the average college or even TB parent when it comes to softball. My only coaching experience was a few years coaching wreck basketball so I don't know anything about coaching. That being said I was kind of shocked at some things in college softball. First thing (others in subsequent posts):

Many college softball outfielders have crappy arms and I was stunned by how many clearly don't know how to play a simple fly ball. It's painfully obvious when watching kids, even during warm ups make last second stabs at balls. My guess is that the primary reason is that college outfielders have sometimes never played in the outfield before. I doubt this was something new and I suspect it continues to this day. A question for the more knowledgeable, including relative newbs: Should a kid who intends to play college ball get some TB experience in the outfield and/or work on improving their long distance throwing ability? I understand that outfield is for the lame-o kids that aren't good enough to play in the infield but indignity during TB might be worthwhile if it makes the transition easier and prevents some of the costly errors and embarrassment.

I was surprised that the crappy outfielder arms were not taken advantage of more often. Geez, it seemed like half of left fielders couldn't make a strong, accurate throw to third let alone home if needed.

Topic of next observation: Players (college and travel) don't seem to study the game much and I wonder if coaches are a big reason why. It surely has a direct impact on their performance.

Another topic for later: College hitters face pitchers/coaches who "have a book a them", likely to a significantly greater degree than in TB. Is there anything a TB player should do to prepare that is different from just typical hitting lessons?

And another: I was shocked at the typical college player's base running skills. I expected way better at the college level. This could easily be addressed at the TB level but it apparently isn't. Odd.

Not sure if this correlates, but of the travel practices I have seen there is more time spent on infield defense over outfield defense. Also I don't see as much work on outfield throwing either. This is just what I have seen and the practices were run by some very good orgs.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:

In my opinion, colleges recruit in this order; Pitchers & Hitters, Speedsters, Catchers & Middle Infielders, 3rd base and lastly Outfielders and 1st Base ... If that is true, then in theory you can have athletes with good sticks and speed but only a so-so arm or glove ... Then as one of my DD's faced, the positions you have always played are already being played by an adequate upper class-woman ... She walked on as a stick, F2 & F5 were not available, she saw F3 was open and learned to play it ... I think this happens often because of where recruiting emphasis is placed. I love to see an outfielder with a cannon, but is that what colleges focus on ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Marriard » Tue May 01, 2018 7:21 pm

There is more talent out there than ever. A lot more. However it is no longer a totally west coast dominated talent base.

There are also a LOT more teams and the spread of talent is wider. In travel and as well as in college. The number of listed college teams as of 2016 was 1678 with 290 D1 schools. In 1982 there were only 91 D1 programs. (info from the NCAA softball record books). And while Eastern Michigan lost softball this year, there are 4 or 5 new D1 programs confirmed and I know some schools that are being pressured into adding softball (Miami in particular). So JUST in D1 colleges need almost 3x the players they used to. Growth in D2, D3 and NAIA is at least as robust - that is a LOT of players needed and the talent pool despite getting much, much larger is struggling to keep up with the level of play..

It wasn't long ago that UCLA and Arizona basically had ALL the best talent and were STACKED even in their bench. Apart from 2005 with Michigan winning (with from memory mostly Californian girls) from 1982 to 2012 it was really a PAC12 & West Coast dominated game.

That is changing - at least 10 - and maybe as many as 12 SEC teams will be in the WCWS field this year. Washington/UCLA maybe having a good year but Oklahoma, FSU and Florida are going to be at least co-favorites. And I wont be surprised if someone else gets on a roll and wins it all. Big Ten deserves at least 3 - probably 4. And so on.

We also have more opportunity to watch softball. As few as 5 years ago, beyond the world series it was rare to see a game on TV. My DVR records 15-20 games per week. SEC network, Big10, ACC, Pac - even Texas and BYU show most of their schedule on TV. All the regionals will be televised.. You can stream most teams - we have some friends in the IVY league - so for a few $$$ we can stream their games - or watch them on archives. So your opportunity to see good AND bad softball is highly expanded
Marriard

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions