Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

How many innings should my catcher play?

What's on your mind?

by Els489 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:25 pm

My DD is 11 years old and plays on a 12U team. For the last 2 friendlies (1 day consisting of 3 games), she played every inning and the last friendly was back to back to back. I am concerned not only for her knees but for her arm. We are not the strongest of teams and some innings tend to drag on a bit so she's squatting and making anywhere from 200 to 300 throws back to the pitcher in a day. She wants to be out there 100% but does complain now and again of pain in her knees and today even said her elbow was a little sore. Just want to get some opinions on what a reasonable number of innings or games per day a catcher should be playing so that we avoid major issues down the road. Thanks!
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CatcherDad99 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:52 pm

My daughter has always spent a lot of time behind the dish as well. She 16 now and 5'10 so yea her knees gets a little soar at that size after years of wear. We wrap bags of ice on them after games with saran wrap. One of those on her throwing arm as well soar or not. Ice works wonders.

Being the dad of a catcher when I coach her teams I always tried to have 2 good catcher and split the time between them on my teams. Unfortunately that's not always possible. For now I would say depending on the type of tournaments your playing in she's probably fine but the coach needs to developing a second catcher (which I'm sure he knows) and if your doing longer tournaments a 3rd even. If your concerned talk with him. I'm sure her health is important to him.

As she gets older make sure she develops her leg and core muscles. I do a lot of strength work with my girls anyway but especially a catcher. Medicine balls and bounding drills are a great as long as their taught with good form. Strong muscles and flexibility help prevent injury.

One thing we started at around 12 or 13 that I would highly recommend at most ages is the Jaeger sports throwing program. Look it up online. When we maintain 3 days a week of the band exercises and long toss program my dd has absolutely no pains in her arm. Its amazing and I can not plug it enough.

Other than that just make sure she is using good form. Mines been to a few good/great catching instructors. Its not always needed but unfortunately I can tell you from experience they listen to the instructors a lot more than dad. Specially at younger ages before they realize....hey maybe dad isn't a total @%$ and is really just trying to help me get better.
CatcherDad99
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:30 am

Made that same mistake, so worried about pitchers times, forgot that the catchers are working just as hard, wearing hot sweaty gear. Saw my tough b/a catcher with teary eyes and asked one of the girls what was up and then realized what I had done, and I had three good catchers. Didnt forget after that .
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:03 am

As a catchers Dad...trust me...
And I UNDERSTAND some situations...But bottom line ...overuse will hurt your kid...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by shortslappy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:59 am

Els489 wrote: Just want to get some opinions on what a reasonable number of innings or games per day a catcher should be playing so that we avoid major issues down the road. Thanks!

That's easy ... just ask your daughter. She needs to listen to her body and know her limitations. If she feels that she needs to play 100% of the time, when after playing consecutive games she is not 100%, she's playing on the wrong team. If she is telling you, and not her coaches, that her legs are sore or her arm hurts, then she's playing for the wrong coach. Yes, we try to teach our kids "to power through it," but sometimes this can harm, not just our kids, but the team, too. The problem with too many players today is that they don't advocate for themselves.

The stud catcher on my daughter's team pulled herself out of a tournament game because her knees were getting sore after playing consecutive games. She felt that she wouldn't be as quick on any potential throw downs and felt that it was in the best interest of the team to put in some fresh legs ... and she was right. You need to get your daughter on a team where she has a reliable backup catcher to give her some relief. There's no reason why she should be catching 3 consecutive games at a friendly. This is where the coaches need to be developing someone else.

Just my opinion ...
shortslappy

by orange socks » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:22 pm

No kidding about having an equal second catcher. Last year about this time of the year. We were playing a tourney and our "second" catcher quit the team after Saturday. Come Sunday we are in the loser's bracket and for some reason we kept winning. We played 5 back to back games in row. My DD caught every inning that entire tournament. 8 games. Luckily the weather was perfect. She was gassed after that last game and so was I. She was proud and I was proud that she was able to power through, but I don't ever want her to be in that situation again.
orange socks

by PDad » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:34 pm

orange socks wrote:No kidding about having an equal second catcher. Last year about this time of the year. We were playing a tourney and our "second" catcher quit the team after Saturday. ...

Was the 2nd catcher getting significant playing time at the position? That's often the reason many change teams.

Moral of the story is to USE 2 catchers so the 1st isn't overused and a good 2nd stays on the team.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Els489 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:53 pm

I appreciate everyone's responses. We have a decent second catcher and I am not sure why they don't use her, especially in some of the games where we were not really in it. I am planning to approach the coach and say no more than 2 games during friendlies and tournaments will be determined but there MUST be a second catching option. I am open to any additional opinions as the last thing I want to do is long term harm to my DD.
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Mon May 16, 2016 12:37 pm

Any resolution to your daughter's overuse? On Saturday she should be used no more than 2 games and not back to back. On Sunday she should play the 1st game, then sit the 2nd game and be ready to go in at another position or just be the DH. Or if you are the #1 seed and are playing the #4 seed then maybe the #2 catcher plays the 1st game and then she plays the 2nd game.

For friendlies, she should split time behind the dish equally with the other catcher!! There is no reason for her to play both or all 3 games!!

Catcher is the most demanding physically and probably the most dangerous. Don't let a coach overuse her at such a young age. If you watch the 18/16u teams they almost always use 2 catchers equally. There's probably a good reason why they do this!!
Makina

by Sbisacrazylife » Tue May 17, 2016 11:40 am

I agree with all the above advise! Being a mother of a catcher, and on very competitive team. IT IS WAY TO MUCH!!!
My daughter is very competitive, she knows she is the #1 catcher. With that being said, when we do friendlys, she only catches one game (and plays corners all other games). But when we are In a tourney, she will be in there more then any other catcher. She now knows her limits though!
My kid has had problem knees and almost a year ago she had Little League Shoulder'. (OVER USE OF HER ARM!!) We now take her to acupuncture, every other week. and we ice her arm & shoulder just like a pitcher would.
Don't make the same stupid mistake we did. Take her out and let her rest every other game. She needs to be on a pitch count just like your pitchers.. You also want her to be able to play another position =)

Hope this helped
Sbisacrazylife

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions