Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Little League Shoulder

What's on your mind?

by Sbisacrazylife » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:42 pm

I was hoping for some advise. My daughter is a catcher and was dx with lil league shoulder by in September. Since we play Travel ball we have kept her off the field since mid December- and even then she was basically just batting and playing 1base. (we wanted to move her back into catching slowly). It is now april and she has been catching a lot more. Even times where she has to perform 3 games back to back, which I really try and avoid :?

the question I have Is, how long does the actuall recovery take? She still at times complains of a pinching sensation, so then I have the coach pull her. Should I go back again for a third MRI?? I feel like she is so afraid to, to give it all she has, due to her past injury. How do I help her out in this situation?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :roll:

Thank you very much
Sbisacrazylife

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:54 pm

Be the parent. You have broad shoulders and can take the heat. Strict limits right now make sense. Straighten both the kid and the coach out on this, leave them no doubt about how this will play out, that your kids health will be the priority. I would hold her to about half of what gets her to that pinching sensation. Which seems like one game for now.

What age? You have been having this soreness since December, that is not good. Is it only sore after catching 3 games, or does it sometime just get sore from routing practicing/throwing? Are you currently Icing? Are you shutting down on Mon/tues/weds to recover? How many days do you shut down before she can throw with no pain? How many with no tightness?

You can get another MRI, but it has been my history that if the first does not show anything, the second one will not as well. This is likely Muscle tightness/soreness or a pinched nerve.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sbisacrazylife » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:53 pm

What age? You have been having this soreness since December, that is not good. Is it only sore after catching 3 games, or does it sometime just get sore from routing practicing/throwing? Are you currently Icing? Are you shutting down on Mon/tues/weds to recover? How many days do you shut down before she can throw with no pain? How many with no tightness?

She is 13 - No she is not always sore. Yes I believe It only starts to get that pinching sensation when she tends to throw over head more so. But other times she can be fine? ;) This is why I question it. I really feel she sometimes may do this so she can switch to corners instead of staying behind home plate. And she should be allowed that flexibility. Mon-Wednesday are here rest days, If anything she has conditioning.
When we play Tournaments, she is there ! catcher. I think things are going to hve to change until I feel she is fully healed. Thanks for the advise, I just hope I am not the only one going through this :)
Sbisacrazylife

by CheckWriter » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Don't screw her up for life.

http://www.stopsportsinjuries.org/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/STOP/Prevent_Injuries/Our_Resources.aspx?hkey=77f4dca8-3098-497d-8719-cfaf8b8af267

You may or may not have heard of the guy that started this foundation - James Andrews - the guy that reconstructed everybody who is everybody's joints in pro sports.

Buy the book:
http://www.amazon.com/Any-Given-Monday-Injuries-Athletes-ebook/dp/B007EDOJ26

Read the book.

JMO
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Makina » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 am

I would move her position. I've known too many catchers that have had major shoulder/arm injuries and were basically done by 1st yr of college. The throwing only gets more intense and reps increase the higher the level she plays at!
Makina

by Hinky » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:08 am

Bad mechanics can cause injury.
Overuse can cause tendonitis and bursitis. best thing is to take care no matter if you have pain or injury by icing and stretching!
Hinky

by CheckWriter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:52 am

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Of all the Tommy John surgeries that are now performed, for instance, 60 percent of them are performed on kids ranging from 15-19 years old. It doesn’t need to happen, according to Dr. Tommy John.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2018/06/10/dr-tommy-john-out-find-cure-avoiding-tommy-john-surgery/679415002/

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2018/tommy-john-opposes-namesake-surgery.html

I admit, we (DW & I) are AARP age and get the mostly useless newsletter. Have not yet asked for my discount at Denny's.

Anyway, looks like the Tommy Johns are starting to try to raise awareness.

FWIW
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions