Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Strange Helmet Question

What's on your mind?

by Lefty's Dad » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:13 am

just play wrote:Hey LD...
I was talking to a Worth Rep and discussed their helmets (white with the color trim). He told me that the original One Size Fits All helmets were actually larger then expected. They have recently started to make these helmets in a smaller size now, still One Size Fits All. I was in the store when a team actually returned the older helmets (still new) to get the new ones which actually fit better.

This was kinda like the same problem Schutt had when they made the DNA helmets.

So where can I find the smaller size? I can't find them anywhere.
Also Nzane, Where did you guys buy the Worth helmets and what was the cost (with shipping)?
I forwarded the padding information to the coach so we may do that but I want to try and find the smaller ones first.
lhpmom Sorry to hear about your DD, that's an injury that should never happen which is why I am so concerned about the helmet being too big.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:57 am

lhpmom wrote:Now DD has a concussion and whiplash. Her personality has changed and her passion for softball in really down. The neurologist advised to give her time and then they will test for further damage if she does not recover completely. Needless to say I am not too happy! 8-)

Sorry to hear about your dd, but my dd suffered a concussion a couple of years ago playing commie kickball. She too had some personality changes. She also has a slight stutter now too. It only comes out every now and then. The doctors said that it might never go away, but if that is the worst of it, I'll take it.

Thank god my kids have big heads!!! HAHAHAHAHA
Sftbll4ever

by Nzane » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 am

I got them in Fullerton. I cant think of the name of the Sporting Goods store. But, I will find out(I forgot, sorry!). We got them for $36 each, mask included. We have got so many compliments on them. I would definately try and get the smaller one if they have it, but, what my parent did works great. Glad we could help you out!! Thanks G for helping them out!!!
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by just play » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:19 pm

So where can I find the smaller size? I can't find them anywhere.

I do not know if dealers actually know of thisproblem or which ones they have. This specific store knew just because they had the players try them on when exchanged, there were some old mixed with new (large/small). I did not get the rep's info but maybe a call or contact to Worth would be in order...
(314)819-2800
customerservice@worthsports.com
just play

by Judd » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:03 pm

why do teams feel the need to issue all new gear, like bat bags, helmets etc. This is the first year we are on a team that is doing that. I find it a waste of money. My DD has a nice bat bag and a nice helmet airbrushed etc.

DD's helmet better fit or she wont be wearing it

Put your foot down and dont allow your child to wear gear that doesnt fit. Having owned a sportbike, and reading countless articles, I know how important a proper fitting helmet is.
Judd

by just play » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:32 pm

why do teams feel the need to issue all new gear, like bat bags, helmets etc. This is the first year we are on a team that is doing that. I find it a waste of money. My DD has a nice bat bag and a nice helmet airbrushed etc.

DD's helmet better fit or she wont be wearing it

Put your foot down and dont allow your child to wear gear that doesnt fit. Having owned a sportbike, and reading countless articles, I know how important a proper fitting helmet is.

I agree with Spazsdad. There is alot to be said when you look like a team. Walking onto a field as one, has it's advantages. An organization is trying to impress with their play and one way to get noticed before you play, is to look like an actual team. It looks somewhat disorganized to see 3 kids with different airbrushed logos, 2 red, 1 green, and 3 black helmets on a team wearing blue and yellow uniforms.

Finally donated 4 helmets to a local league which DD has been issued on different teams over the years and still have 3 laying around in the garage. Don't get me started on the bat bags...

That said, I 100% agree that if the team is purchasing helmets and making it a requirement, that they find a style that fits all the kids or can be adjusted. If not, then don't buy them. A team should purchase the helmet (or helmets if different sizes) and have the girls try them on and then return the ones that do not fit... Along with the helmet fitting, there will also be issues with the masks which come with the helmets. Some like the bar on top, some don't, some think the opening is in the wrong place, some think it's not wide enough, etc...
just play

by Bruwinfan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:25 pm

I totally agree with Spazsdad and Just Play. We all have lots of bat bags and extra gear. By the way, ever thought about donating that stuff to a league in a disadvantaged area? We have and will continue to do so...

Here's another enlightenment....(not). Unlike boys baseball, girls softball, whether we like it or not, has IMAGE written over each player. "Are we wearing ribbons today?" "This underarmour makes my arms look strange"...how much time they spend trying to wear as much makeup as Jennie Finch...etc. Add to that playing 140 games a year (we counted this past season)...and the uniforms and gear do get worn out. Face it, it's not a cheap sport. If you want a cheaper sport, try volleyball.

Here's what I did with the helmet...hopefully I can attach the jpegs...I had extra black padded foam from another project, so that is what is on the forehead area of the helmet...(daughter was very insistant that no one else could see the foam...it's all about the image I guess!). In the back you can see the beige vertical foam strips and the edge of one of the velcro strips behind. What happens is when she puts on the helmet, the foam compresses to leave the room for the pony tail..If anyone has any questions, please pm me and I'll try to send them directly to you. Hope it helps....
Attachments
IMG_3274.JPG
IMG_3274.JPG (68.9 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG (66.53 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
Bruwinfan

by Bruwinfan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Kid's got a small head but a big heart....love the Bell helmet comment...and the lines that come to mind that could go with it.... But why'd you have to remind me about the cost of gloves? DD's favorite glove needs to be retired...Oh well, like I'm retiring soon anyway.....not.....
Bruwinfan

by Nzane » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:58 pm

They actually fit everyone, EXCEPT her, lol!!!
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by Lefty's Dad » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:26 am

I agree Spaz and that is why I had no problem buying the Schutt that she still uses to this day, it's a great custom fit, plus the face mask she likes too. The Worth helmet appears to be a great helmet and it looks great, I think they just messed up when they made them and now they fit adults but not kids (or smaller adults as my DD prefers being called rather a kid). I think we're going to try the fix that was described above, although I'll have to share with the other parents with kids who have adbnormally small heads on the team. Although some of them might not be as open to being McGyver for 5 minutes like I am. We'll see.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, by the way, the respnses here was fast and much more informative than on the "other" message board.

Thank again!
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions