Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Strange Helmet Question

What's on your mind?

by Lefty's Dad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:13 pm

DD's 14u team is buying new helmets for the team, and in fact has bought at least one so far. They want all players to wear matching helmets, not a problem, I'm cool with that and plus, I like the new helmet. The problem is that the helmet only comes in "one size fits all" but of course is too big for my DD. I am curious if there is something anyone can recommend to put inside the helmet that won't interfere with her while playing that could possibly "tighten it up"? I would prefer not to fill it with a ton of foam because that's going to make it really hot. What other choice is there?

Thanks in advance!
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
Lefty's Dad

by Nzane » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Is it the Worth helmet? We have them on my team. The helmet was a little big on one of our players. He fixed it for her. I'll find out what he did......
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by greenandblue » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:06 pm

Have her wear a ballcap backwards under the helmet. (Unless of course you get the umpire we got years ago at a Little League All-Starts State playoffs who told our players they couldn't wear hats under their helmets.) His reason was that if the pitched ball hit the bill of the hat above their neck, they would not get a Hit by pitch call. We never have heard that rule since then, so I think she'd be ok.
kmaca
greenandblue

by TulsaEliteGold » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Check with Motorcycle Dealers or Racing Shops in your area. They make Helmet Liners for Motorcycle or Racing helmets that are actually made from material that keeps the head cool. They have several different types of designs, some are full head covers (around the face), but they also make ones that only cover the top of the head (ears and above) similar to a stocking cap, but they keep the head cool. I think they are called Coolmax Liners.
Jeff Filali
Asst Softball Coach
Butler Comm College - 25+ D1 Signees since '11
www.butlergrizzlies.com

Founder/GM/Coach
Tulsa Elite Softball - 130+ College Commits since '08
www.tulsaelite.org

eM: jeff@TulsaElite.org
Ph: 918-951-7142
TulsaEliteGold

by Lefty's Dad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:48 pm

Nzane wrote:Is it the Worth helmet? We have them on my team. The helmet was a little big on one of our players. He fixed it for her. I'll find out what he did......

Yes, it's the Worth helmet. Please let me know when you find out. I hate paying $40 for helmet that she will complain about constantly.
Lefty's Dad

by Lefty's Dad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:04 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Suggest to the team to switch to the Schutt helmets that have changeable pads to size them to each player.

She has a Schutt now and loves it but it's the custom one and fits perfectly. The coach is considering a change but since he has already bought some, I doubt that will happen.
Lefty's Dad

by Nzane » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:30 pm

My girls love the Worth. I will tell my parent to come on here and tell you what he did. Seems to be working great!! The Worths are great looking helmets!!
Go.....
Angels,
Raiders,
Lakers,
Trojans!
Nzane

by just play » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Hey LD...
I was talking to a Worth Rep and discussed their helmets (white with the color trim). He told me that the original One Size Fits All helmets were actually larger then expected. They have recently started to make these helmets in a smaller size now, still One Size Fits All. I was in the store when a team actually returned the older helmets (still new) to get the new ones which actually fit better.

This was kinda like the same problem Schutt had when they made the DNA helmets.
just play

by Bruwinfan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:10 pm

Lefty's Dad,
I pm'd you, but then thought others might want to know too...so here goes...

I can wear one of those helmets, and my daughter has a small hat size. Can't figure out who in the world thought doing a one size fits all would work, let alone be safe. Oh yeah, my daughter has two different Schutt helmets which she loves.

Anyway, here's the solution. I went to a local fabric store (Joann's, but Michael's also works). I bought a sealed package of a regular density foam pad (high density works also, just don't get the low or light density). The pad measures 1" thick and is 15" x17". The size is great because you'll be able to use one pad for multiple players. While you are there, you also need to get adhesive velcro strips, about 1" wide.

Cut the pad to get (3) 1 1/2" wide strips that are about 5" long. Attach (I used glue along with the adhesive backing) one part of the velcro strip to each of the pads. The other side of each of the velcro strips were attached to the helmet using their adhesive strip....one across the padded forehead area of the helmet ( I made sure it was above the existing pad's starting point so as to not change or impede the line of sight) and two vertically on top of the pads next to (but not into) the "pony tail area" of the helmet. This created a flat front and dual rear pressure zone to keep the helmet snug in place while the foam doesn't scratch or cause irritation to the forehead. You can also do the same for the top of the helmet...but I didn't need to for my daughter.

If anyone needs some pictures of it, I'd be happy to email them to you. The greatest thing of this is that should your daughter's head grow, you can take them out...or if you need to replace them, it's cheap and easy to do.

By the way, the foam pad is also good to use as extra padding in catcher's mitts.....
Bruwinfan

by lhpmom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:57 am

What a timely discussion. My DD was issued a Rawling one size fits all helmet two weeks ago and it was way too big. She is in 10U. We were told to deal with it because that was what the organization issued! So in her first tournament with the new helmet she is stealing second and the shortstop goes to tag her forcefully in the head. The helmet face mask even with the chin strap comes up and tears at her nose, leaves cuts in her mouth and then falls off leaving her head to hit the ground. Now DD has a concussion and whiplash. I called Rawlings about adding padding etc. and they said it voids the warranty. They had a similiar model that came in S M L XL and would get one (S) in the maroon color needed. It should arrive soon. Hopefully it will work. Parents please make sure your DD helmet fits properly. My DD is really having a hard time with this injury. Her personality has changed and her passion for softball in really down. The neurologist advised to give her time and then they will test for further damage if she does not recover completely. Needless to say I am not too happy! Helmet will fit properly or she will not play. Even if it has to be padded then that is a choice I will make to ensure a proper fit. Keep my DD in your thoughts when your helmet does not fit properly. Play hard and stay safe. 8-)
lhpmom

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions