Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

FLOSOFTBALL HOT 100

What's on your mind?

by rbi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:36 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
rbi wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
rbi wrote:I have not spent too much time on the bucket lately, and had no idea how much love there is for tbj, but now i know :lol: :lol:

btw, very good point spaz and i like your idea!

RBI... No love received and no love given here. Been a few years these people have tried to make thier case. I will never agree in any way shape or form opportunity should be minimized.

These claims of trouble with offers taken, coaching changes,offers minimized or girls dropped. Those things do happen and they are unfortunate. They are also not the norm no matter what you hear. I am a populist in this case where I feel those are part of attrition. Every system has a fallout of some sort and this is it for softball.

AI your point is good. In fact I think it can work and probably be implemented, BUT that's not the world we live in and I'm not in a habit of hoping to change the system. I adapt and have tought my DD to adapt and do everything to take advantage of it...

So RBI I'm not a know it all, I simply believe what I believe. Until the system changes I don't think I will be knocked off my soap box.

Oh and yes what part didn't you understand college softball is t a job. I just prefer to look at it as an opportunity and a blessing.

Spaz you always beat that drum. Major... Major... Major.... I agree. No one if forcing anyone to choose a school. Trust me if/when an 8th/9th grader is offered there are usually more than one Single school involved. That's called choice and opportunity. It's that DD and family's business to choose the right or wrong school. None of us have the right to judge others choice!

I often wonder what opportunity DD's would have without softball. How many could afford to pay for school. Is that better than a bad major. In my real life work experience a degree in basket weaving is preferred over a high school graduate. That being said I prefer the school and major of choice for all. Just isn't going to happen. Ever!

FP... Trust, this has nothing to do with me. Yes I do sport a hat or a shirt. That's to honor my DD and her hard work. Nothing wrong that! I'm confident we have a plan and the work ethic to prevent an issue in the future. We are confident in her choice, school, coaching staff. It's called due diligence and that we did. My DD have any and all info on each school, so it is a well informed choice.

All in all rankings are important to DD's. Those that say they don't care(including parents) usually have Coke bottles on.

Just sayin...

PS.... Might have a few iPhone typos. Stop it!!

You can't be serious, it may be important to parents like you who walk around telling everyone how great your kid is wearing full garb, but to the kids that im around they could give a rats ass about rankings, you kidding me, what a joke….

having been on the inside for a few years now and with a son coaching at same school as my kid, i hear the good bad and the ugly, when it comes to kids who were once crowned as the best of the best in the country, trust me the less your kid pays attn to that garbage the better off she will be in long run. But i have a feeling its too late for you...

Who doesn't care about rankings? Everyone cares if they say they don't they are lying, know they don't have a chance at them or they simply don't know it's out there.

We live in a society of ranking everything. We rank best movie, song, restruarant, hotel, football players, best company to work for, best beach, etc.... Just Google best whatever the hell you can think of and its ranked. To say no one cares means you live in a box!

Everyone called me crazy a few years ago when I said I saw scouts at 12u PGF and I knew 7th graders with unofficials. Everyone said I was nuts when I explained insights to early verbals and conversations with coaches. Everyone says I'm crazy with my views on early recruiting. You guys think I'm nuts about rankings. Man all I can say I'm giving you honest insight to the process in REAL TIME. Like it or not or agree or not this is the state of our game.

Today it's rankings... That's all!

I will read your garbage because i like humor, but plz dont try and educate me about recruiting. My kid has a teammate who committed as an 8th grader 6 YEARS ago and was walking around campus on visit as a 13yr old like 7yrs ago, so plz dont try and tell people "i told them all" just stop with the self patting on the back crap. People that are close to the softball world, and obviously you think you are but truly are not, have known and continue to know about the early verbal and how it progressed.

Take this for whats its worth, your child should be focusing on what she can control and nothing else, and a ranking is NOT one of them. I just have this feeling you have tarnished that, but i do wish your kid the best of luck on her future no matter what decision she made or will make, that means nothing to anyone but you and your family to be honest…. I will leave this topic with this quote by a great man….

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. be careful"
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softball65 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:22 am

I didn't take the time to read this whole thread, but read the last few comments. I'd recently discussed this topic with a friend.

We very recently had a travel teammate commit SEC as a 2017, last week. She bragged about being "All america' according to Flosoftball 2 years running and essentially used that ranking to justify what she felt was her true value and how she'd been overlooked to that point (in her opinion). I point this out because this is the down side to these rankings....they are not objective, they are subjective and can potentially be an issue. This kid sadly, thought she was better all around than she actually really is. She has holes in her game that made her essentially a niche player suitable really only for a program who was looking for specifically what she is. I think at least in part, this came out of being what she felt was top 100 "All american" according to her/Flosoftball and it got to her ego and ultimately her expectations..

I would argue, what real role do the top 100 list serve? Its really just something to talk about in the end, otherwise it is meaningless. By my examples own admission, she played in a well known, visible program playing in all the best tournaments, and she suggests she plays in a top HS program nationally as well. Yet was uncommited as a 2017 in January 2016. So how is it someone so visible was overlooked and yet considered top 100 "all american" according to Flosoftball? Don't the college coaches read those articles?? (hahaha)

She ultimately found the right program for her skills set, perfect in fact. But she believed what was being written about her, which IMHO, was overblown in Flosoftball. I get it what Flosoftball is about, keeping the fire stocked for softball. I too enjoy reading these top 100 article BUT, I take them with a grain of salt. Think about it, there is no way to rank every 2019 player in the country effectively. Some kids live in Tiny town USA or mom and dad have no $$ to travel to FL, CA, CO, etc.. I know a kid who as a senior was unknown. A coach I know saw her play and long story short found her a spot at GA....as a senior. She was not on any Flosoftball list.

I think everyone wants recognition but I don't think anyone loses sleep over it either way. No true competitor that is. true competitors let their game speak for itself. I think it is a mistake to get too high for being on the list (like the example provided), and just as big of a mistake if you are not on the list, to take anything from that AT ALL. .I know kids going to Alabama, Missouri, Florida, etc. that are not on the top 100 list, yet they are going to top programs.
softball65

by Pale Rider » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:29 am

Spazsdad wrote:The real eye opener would be a published list of the top 100 players and what degree they graduated with from Softball First U.
While I haven't seen such a list, and doubt there will ever be one. I have run across many former p[layers from top 25 schools that either
A. Went back to school on their own dime to actually get a worthwhile degree or
B Are giving lessons, running clinics, etc, to pay the bills since the major they were told to take isn't worth sheet.
Guess what, many of those kids verballed young with stars in their eyes because they saw the team play in the WCWS and the parents couldn't wait to buy a sweatshirt.
That's why not every "free" education is a good thing tbj

That list is very myopic ...with a magic tunnel for those outside the 'area' to be entered...Ive seen kids on there who weren't even the 'best' on their teams, much less in the country on that list in the past..

As far as college...my kids have a rule about majors. it doesn't matter what their majors are as long as they end in 3 letters...J O B...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:49 pm

So turdy 3, who is offering your kid the best PE degree? Or ___________(bullsh*t) Studies degree? By having her commit early tells people there is no academic confidence.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by tbjd33 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:02 pm

as the world turns wrote:So turdy 3, who is offering your kid the best PE degree? Or ___________(bullsh*t) Studies degree? By having her commit early tells people there is no academic confidence.

World what schools would you accept for an early committ?
tbjd33

by rbi » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:29 pm

That's why it's always a good idea to do some homework... Don't just look at what the current players are majoring in, talk to them about their major... It's ok to ask questions , and I think a lot of the time players and even PAST players are great source of info, vs coach .... Word for the wise....My thing is networking at your university with alumni , some schools do a better job than others.. My youngest was very fortunate to have a new program put into place just for softball players run by a an ex player who is VP of HR for Motorola. Great person who not only donated huge amouts of money but, is meeting with the players routinely and discussing life after softball .. Important round tables that help these kids prepare and network for life after softball, and not just walk away with a piece of paper but , with a piece of paper and a JOB!
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Always interesting to hear parents of kids committed to top softball schools say that little Suzy can take any major she wants. Good luck when an afternoon lab interferes with practice time.

Or wanna be something as competitive, time consuming and difficult as a Physical Therapist etc...or take 20hrs a week
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:30 am

tbjd33 wrote:
as the world turns wrote:So turdy 3, who is offering your kid the best PE degree? Or ___________(bullsh*t) Studies degree? By having her commit early tells people there is no academic confidence.

World what schools would you accept for an early committ?

It depends on what the player wants to major in. 8th graders know exactly what they want to do, right? Committing early dooms them academically regarding career choice, but you know that because you are a smart guy.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by eclipse09 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:39 am

Any chance we can get a HeyBucket member hot 100?
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softball65 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:35 pm

We were told that there are a few majors that our school would not work with pertaining to softball. My kid was not looking at one of those majors so it was not an issue for us but it was the major(s) that have labs/clinicals. I think Nursing is one of them and perhaps Physical Therapy. Maybe a few others.

If these are majors that your DD is considering, be sure to be very specific with Academic/admissions and the softball coach to make sure there is no gray. We've had other schools tell us they can work with any major as long as they plan the lab's/clinicals in off season. Depends on the school.

One thing that was universal, do not try to take more than 12 credits in the spring. Unless you can go with no sleep or you are a wizard academically, it's to time consuming to take on any more than 12 credits in Spring.

Plan on summer school or the 5 year plan also.
softball65

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions