Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

FLOSOFTBALL HOT 100

What's on your mind?

by as the world turns » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:13 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
as the world turns wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
rbi wrote:Too some people it may be a good read, to me its garbage and lots of time these social media accolades can be the kiss of death. Have seen it, witnessed it and hate it, especially when we are talking about 14yr olds getting plastered all over the internet, and the kids and parents eating it up and lots of times poisoning them. Its not just Flo though its everything. Yes, there are 14yr old PRO Tennis and Golfers that get media attn all the time, and trust me they are under ENORMOUS pressure, THATS diff. We are talking about 13/14yr old amateur middle school or Freshman softball players who dont even have a license to drive. I think its creepy and weird and i wouldnt want my kid exposed at that age. My kid was player of year twice in state of CA , has earned PAC-12 honors and HS ALL-American honors but by then she was 18 yrs old and knew how to handle the accolades, appreciate them and be thankful but not boast all over social media how great you are, and or walk all over town with a billboard posted on your ass saying im the best, same goes for parents, I think they are worse. I could give you so many examples of parents whom make me vomit but, i will just take the high road and be that guy sitting in the stands being thankful my daughter gets to play such a awesome game and dont want it to be over. JMO

Take the high road as you bash the process and pump up your DD. Your a joke and a hypocrite.

The list in the top 20 is pretty accurate with little debate. These young DDs work their takes off. This is simply a tip of the cap to their current effort and potential.

Great job to those on the list and to #1 she is hands down the best 2019 and is well deserved!!

RBI has been there and done that - and he is absolutely right. Turdy, stop living through your kid.

World off base as usual. Been there done that already. My 2019 is our third. Seen Pac12 honors and CWS with oldest son. It's not living through my DD its living with her. Her dreams/goals and she's taking us for the ride. Just as the older ones have and continue to do.

Yes I am a proud father... I should be!

Just sayin...

Yeah right, blah blah blah :lol: :roll: :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by as the world turns » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:18 pm

rbi wrote:Newsflash, "know it all" aka tbj, aka, #whogivesaratsass , if you think a kid who earns a "full ride" has a free education you really gave me a better indication of how smart you really are.

Your that parent that walks around the softball complex in full college garb when your kid is a freshman in HS , then turn around three years later when she decommits because coach leaves, you burn your garb at the bonfire and talk trash about the school, and then go out and buy all new garb… gotta love those parents…...MAN :roll:
Nailed it.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:23 pm

"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:37 pm

rbi wrote:Newsflash, "know it all" aka tbj, aka, #whogivesaratsass , if you think a kid who earns a "full ride" has a free education you really gave me a better indication of how smart you really are.

Your that parent that walks around the softball complex in full college garb when your kid is a freshman in HS , then turn around three years later when she decommits because coach leaves, you burn your garb at the bonfire and talk trash about the school, and then go out and buy all new garb… gotta love those parents…...MAN :roll:

Spot on. This is about 33 and what he wants, no one else.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Tyler Durden wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:As I've said a million times. Anytime a young DD is recognized it's a good thing. A college offer is never a bad thing at any age. I guess I will never understand why some just can't realize it's not...

Teabag, you seem to always find yourself beating the same drum. Some self reflection may help. Your view of life is that people just "can't realize" your point of view. The truth is, they understand perfectly your point of view, they just think you are wrong. No 'realization' needed.

Yea I don't "realize" what your saying either. I guess free money for a college education isn't good. Wait you're right... Who wants that. College provides no single benefit to the future of a young person and I haven't found a single morsel of evidence to show it does... Especially for young ladies! Why in the world would young ladies need an education... Especially a free one!

TD your intelligence and those that agree with you is far above mine... I work and self reflect on that for you!

Oh wait... Maybe my DD I'm living through can help me realize it once she graduates from college paid for not by me...

Whatever!!

The scholarship does not go poof, it is still there. Just that the kid gets to enjoy being a kid freshman, sophomore year of high school.

Yea... Smart thinking. Wait until last minute to earn/accept an offer so all of our DD's can "have fun" in high school.

Smart!

Jump to conclusion much? That is not what I am advocating either. I am advocating a system that puts verbals back into the category they are meant to be. Rare, and a load of flexibility for the player.

Could be easily accomplished using the NCAA enforcement regime that is already in place. Start by having coaches report all verbal commitments to NCAA. Make coach include language in any verbal conversation that clarifies to the parent what a verbal means, that there is flexibility on the players part. NCAA can send a followup letter to the student athelete that clearly states they should expect to be receiving additional offers from other coaches/schools. Encourage the students/parents that if they do not get additional offers and feel they did not for any reason, that parent/athlete should contact NCAA.

Form a small committee that looks at above data, follows up with a some students. Look for students that likely verballed too early and as a result ended up a school in a bad degree, or in a school that was not a good fit. Students where the verbal was a determent. Once you have established evidence that there is market coercion shutting down additional offers to verballed students. That market coercion is directly harming some students. Then it is easy to send out a remedy. That remedy would take the form that if a coach is found to be verballing student atheletes, but there is no evidence of them making offers to other verballed athelete, they are sanctioned. That would bring back the flexibility for the athlete that would fix the verballing system.

See a few simple steps, and very advantageous to all student athletes. Only a minor inconvenience for the schools.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rbi » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:22 pm

I have not spent too much time on the bucket lately, and had no idea how much love there is for tbj, but now i know :lol: :lol:

btw, very good point spaz and i like your idea!
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:03 pm

rbi wrote:I have not spent too much time on the bucket lately, and had no idea how much love there is for tbj, but now i know :lol: :lol:

RBI... No love received and no love given here. Been a few years these people have tried to make thier case. I will never agree in any way shape or form opportunity should be minimized.

These claims of trouble with offers taken, coaching changes,offers minimized or girls dropped. Those things do happen and they are unfortunate. They are also not the norm no matter what you hear. I am a populist in this case where I feel those are part of attrition. Every system has a fallout of some sort and this is it for softball.

AI your point is good. In fact I think it can work and probably be implemented, BUT that's not the world we live in and I'm not in a habit of hoping to change the system. I adapt and have tought my DD to adapt and do everything to take advantage of it...

So RBI I'm not a know it all, I simply believe what I believe. Until the system changes I don't think I will be knocked off my soap box.

Oh and yes what part didn't you understand college softball is t a job. I just prefer to look at it as an opportunity and a blessing.

Spaz you always beat that drum. Major... Major... Major.... I agree. No one if forcing anyone to choose a school. Trust me if/when an 8th/9th grader is offered there are usually more than one Single school involved. That's called choice and opportunity. It's that DD and family's business to choose the right or wrong school. None of us have the right to judge others choice!

I often wonder what opportunity DD's would have without softball. How many could afford to pay for school. Is that better than a bad major. In my real life work experience a degree in basket weaving is preferred over a high school graduate. That being said I prefer the school and major of choice for all. Just isn't going to happen. Ever!

FP... Trust, this has nothing to do with me. Yes I do sport a hat or a shirt. That's to honor my DD and her hard work. Nothing wrong that! I'm confident we have a plan and the work ethic to prevent an issue in the future. We are confident in her choice, school, coaching staff. It's called due diligence and that we did. My DD have any and all info on each school, so it is a well informed choice.

All in all rankings are important to DD's. Those that say they don't care(including parents) usually have Coke bottles on.

Just sayin...

PS.... Might have a few iPhone typos. Stop it!!
tbjd33

by rbi » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:40 am

tbjd33 wrote:
rbi wrote:I have not spent too much time on the bucket lately, and had no idea how much love there is for tbj, but now i know :lol: :lol:

RBI... No love received and no love given here. Been a few years these people have tried to make thier case. I will never agree in any way shape or form opportunity should be minimized.

These claims of trouble with offers taken, coaching changes,offers minimized or girls dropped. Those things do happen and they are unfortunate. They are also not the norm no matter what you hear. I am a populist in this case where I feel those are part of attrition. Every system has a fallout of some sort and this is it for softball.

AI your point is good. In fact I think it can work and probably be implemented, BUT that's not the world we live in and I'm not in a habit of hoping to change the system. I adapt and have tought my DD to adapt and do everything to take advantage of it...

So RBI I'm not a know it all, I simply believe what I believe. Until the system changes I don't think I will be knocked off my soap box.

Oh and yes what part didn't you understand college softball is t a job. I just prefer to look at it as an opportunity and a blessing.

Spaz you always beat that drum. Major... Major... Major.... I agree. No one if forcing anyone to choose a school. Trust me if/when an 8th/9th grader is offered there are usually more than one Single school involved. That's called choice and opportunity. It's that DD and family's business to choose the right or wrong school. None of us have the right to judge others choice!

I often wonder what opportunity DD's would have without softball. How many could afford to pay for school. Is that better than a bad major. In my real life work experience a degree in basket weaving is preferred over a high school graduate. That being said I prefer the school and major of choice for all. Just isn't going to happen. Ever!

FP... Trust, this has nothing to do with me. Yes I do sport a hat or a shirt. That's to honor my DD and her hard work. Nothing wrong that! I'm confident we have a plan and the work ethic to prevent an issue in the future. We are confident in her choice, school, coaching staff. It's called due diligence and that we did. My DD have any and all info on each school, so it is a well informed choice.

All in all rankings are important to DD's. Those that say they don't care(including parents) usually have Coke bottles on.

Just sayin...

You can't be serious, it may be important to parents like you who walk around telling everyone how great your kid is wearing full garb, but to the kids that im around they could give a rats ass about rankings, you kidding me, what a joke….

having been on the inside for a few years now and with a son coaching at same school as my kid, i hear the good bad and the ugly, when it comes to kids who were once crowned as the best of the best in the country, trust me the less your kid pays attn to that garbage the better off she will be in long run. But i have a feeling its too late for you...
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:24 am

rbi wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

Just sayin...

You can't be serious, it may be important to parents like you who walk around telling everyone how great your kid is wearing full garb, but to the kids that im around they could give a rats ass about rankings, you kidding me, what a joke….

having been on the inside for a few years now and with a son coaching at same school as my kid, i hear the good bad and the ugly, when it comes to kids who were once crowned as the best of the best in the country, trust me the less your kid pays attn to that garbage the better off she will be in long run. But i have a feeling its too late for you...

Who doesn't care about rankings? Everyone cares if they say they don't they are lying, know they don't have a chance at them or they simply don't know it's out there.

We live in a society of ranking everything. We rank best movie, song, restruarant, hotel, football players, best company to work for, best beach, etc.... Just Google best whatever the hell you can think of and its ranked. To say no one cares means you live in a box!

Everyone called me crazy a few years ago when I said I saw scouts at 12u PGF and I knew 7th graders with unofficials. Everyone said I was nuts when I explained insights to early verbals and conversations with coaches. Everyone says I'm crazy with my views on early recruiting. You guys think I'm nuts about rankings. Man all I can say I'm giving you honest insight to the process in REAL TIME. Like it or not or agree or not this is the state of our game.

Today it's rankings... That's all!
tbjd33

by PDad » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:02 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
rbi wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:...
Surprise, I agree with a lot of that - especially since we rarely, if ever, know everything about their circumstances, priorities and plan. No one tries to make a bad choice.

IMHO, families should start by identifying their DD's options without softball. This provides the baseline for identifying what softball may provide, determining a safe* strategy and evaluating offers. A "safe strategy" is one that doesn't significantly jeopardize the baseline options.

Everyone should strive to make well informed choices rather than be driven by ego and/or paranoia, That said, no one knows everything or what will happen in the future. A famous adage is "Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." Best wishes for your DD.

Who doesn't care about rankings? Everyone cares if they say they don't they are lying, know they don't have a chance at them or they simply don't know it's out there.
Only an insignificant portion of the population is aware of these rankings. No doubt there are other rankings you don't know about and other people are similarly crowing about them.

We live in a society of ranking everything. We rank best movie, song, restruarant, hotel, football players, best company to work for, best beach, etc.... Just Google best whatever the hell you can think of and its ranked. To say no one cares means you live in a box!
There are lots of rankings for each and large discrepancies between them. The lack of consensus between them undermines their credibility.
Today it's rankings... That's all!

Hey, the discussion got back to the original topic!
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions