Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

I can't make the call!!!

What's on your mind?

by Demonboy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:25 pm

luv2catch wrote:For those of you that were not at the game, the ump said the runner did not touch home plate- now make the call!

No...that's not damning. LOL
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by wadeintothem » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:32 pm

luv2catch wrote:For those of you that were not at the game, the ump said the runner did not touch home plate- now make the call!

Well I looked at this pic on the sorcerer site, the players profile, and here... and never saw that mentioned.

Often on MB scenarios/questions, a question will be posed, when they dont get the answer they want.. they change it, add to it etc, until they finally do get that answer. I dont know if that is the case here, of course.

_IF_ that is why he made an out call on that play.. well now we all know why you dont hold your mask in your right hand! It messes up your vision.

Anyway, missing a base is an appeal play.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by #1fan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:51 pm

Just to clarify........the runner made a low hook slide outside of the catcher's reach. Umpire called her out for not touching the plate......but that's okay.......it was just a friendly. ;)
#1fan

by wadeintothem » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:35 am

#1fan wrote:Just to clarify........the runner made a low hook slide outside of the catcher's reach. Umpire called her out for not touching the plate......but that's okay.......it was just a friendly. ;)

Well now that I know she was not only outside the reach AND called out for not touching the base.. the call is indeed much easier!

Anything else to add before I make my final call?

Obstruction maybe?

A little obstruction always makes it easier, just in case the tag was applied.. play it safe! Tack on an obstruction!

:P
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:13 am

Spazsdad wrote:Getting an obstruction call is about as common as a three dollar bill. It has got to be one of the top missed calls in the sport.

Very true, I would put it right up there with "being more than 3 feet from the base path to avoid a tag" in terms of calls a blue might miss.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by MTR » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:15 am

wadeintothem wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Getting an obstruction call is about as common as a three dollar bill. It has got to be one of the top missed calls in the sport.

Very true, I would put it right up there with "being more than 3 feet from the base path to avoid a tag" in terms of calls a blue might miss.

Actually, not knowing the runner's path, it may very well be a basepath violation, but Phil is in the wrong position for that call.

BTW, is Phil lefthanded? If so, the mask is in the proper hand for a sell out. If not, he needs to get the mask in the left hand. It's not just a matter of possible being too close to the play and accidently hitting a player, but possibly losing his grip on an overhand and the mask flying and hitting a player.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:54 am

MTR wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:

Actually, not knowing the runner's path, it may very well be a basepath violation, but Phil is in the wrong position for that call.

BTW, is Phil lefthanded? If so, the mask is in the proper hand for a sell out. If not, he needs to get the mask in the left hand. It's not just a matter of possible being too close to the play and accidently hitting a player, but possibly losing his grip on an overhand and the mask flying and hitting a player.

Thats not phil, phil is the coach of the 18G Sorcerers...

I doubt the umps left handed, I've worked with him and seen him around... I cant even remember his name. I'll let you know if we could ever get on the @#%$#@^ field and get going!!!!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by 2bucketdad » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Maybe the picture is inverted?
2bucketdad

by wadeintothem » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 pm

2bucketdad wrote:Maybe the picture is inverted?

hmmm!!

That is some good thinkin!

She is looking much more safe and not out of the base path after being swipe tagged, he is 3rd base line extended.. ASA Peeps hate that... but still not bad.. now he is properly holding his mask.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by umpinva » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:53 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
2bucketdad wrote:Maybe the picture is inverted?

hmmm!!

That is some good thinkin!

She is looking much more safe and not out of the base path after being swipe tagged, he is 3rd base line extended.. ASA Peeps hate that... but still not bad.. now he is properly holding his mask.

Wow! She slid so hard the team's name on her uniform turned upside down.
umpinva

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions