Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

metal spikes in High School

What's on your mind?

by softballtaxi » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 am

Is your high school team permitting metal spikes? If so will your DD wear them?

I haven't heard in my district yet
softballtaxi

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 am

Our school is permitting them, and only about 3 girls have decided to go with them. The rest of the team is using their cleats from last season. With the minimal amount of games for HS, my DD's cleats should last her for this season and the next 2.

Youngest DD will come in next year and it will be her decision which she wants to wear.
Sftbll4ever

by South Bay Softball » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Allowed here by CIF and over the past two weeks the Mizuno Swift has arrived and a lot of girls are converting and loving them.
South Bay Softball

by SBGeneral » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:25 pm

Pitchers will love them.... But the other girls better know how to slide the CORRECT way. I foresee a lot of Sprained & broken ankles along with twisted knees in the future. Not to mention all the bloody thighs & shins...

Speaking strictly from a medical standpoint, Metal Cleats for Female sports in HS is a bad idea. The ankles of the Female athlete at this age are week compared the Boys. There will be an increase of foot & ankle injuries because there joints cant take the extra strain & twisting Metal Cleats will cause. I hope I am wrong!!!
SBGeneral

by SBGeneral » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:33 pm

Forgot DD wont wear them until she is 18 or in Collage.
SBGeneral

by pixsguy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:31 pm

i heard best way to decide is have DD do some ladder work...if they are good footwork, it will only be a bonus...if they arent as nimble or heavyfooted, keep the cleats and save the knees...
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NuNu's Dad » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:37 pm

My DD's HS team made them optional for Frosh/Soph & JV, but mandatory for Varsity.

My daughter is wearing them. Three pitches into wearing them, she noticed a flaw in her mechanics. No problem for the pitchers unless they get cleated covering home on a PB/WP.

She wears the same style/size of Ringors in Metal and plastic cleats. Not a big change.
NuNu's Dad

Return to Fastpitch Discussions