Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Tryout vs. Workout

What's on your mind?

by shortslappy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:20 am

So apparently the tryout season is in full swing. What are your thoughts on girls attending tryouts, with no intention of leaving their current teams, just to get in an extra workout and gain tryout experience?
shortslappy

by as the world turns » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:51 am

LOL!
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Blind Squirrel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 pm

shortslappy wrote:So apparently the tryout season is in full swing. What are your thoughts on girls attending tryouts, with no intention of leaving their current teams, just to get in an extra workout and gain tryout experience?

I think it's never too early to teach a kid to only think about what they want and have zero regard for others. Like in this case the coaches.
I don't know how the universe manages to revolve around so many kids at the same time. But I'm working on a new theory of egocentrism driven simultaneous parallelism. Think of it as the theory of everything where "everything" means one kid.

Merry Christmas.

Snarky Hawking Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:47 pm

shortslappy wrote:So apparently the tryout season is in full swing. What are your thoughts on girls attending tryouts, with no intention of leaving their current teams, just to get in an extra workout and gain tryout experience?

Are you talking about attending a big org tryout just to see where you stand or just going for another practice?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by shortslappy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:10 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
I think it's never too early to teach a kid to only think about what they want and have zero regard for others. Like in this case the coaches.
I don't know how the universe manages to revolve around so many kids at the same time. But I'm working on a new theory of egocentrism driven simultaneous parallelism. Think of it as the theory of everything where "everything" means one kid.

Merry Christmas.

Snarky Hawking Squirrel

Best response EVER! :lol:
Last edited by shortslappy on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortslappy

by shortslappy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:17 pm

Battle wrote:Are you talking about attending a big org tryout just to see where you stand or just going for another practice?

I'm talking any player who comes out with no intention of leaving their current team.
shortslappy

by rbi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:57 am

First off, if the coach of team is aware of this and ok with this, and you want to get extra work in, i guess its ok… Kinda strange to me though… I just dont see a coach being ok with it UNLESS he/she felt they were a good salesmen and the kid could help them and maybe get in her ear at tryouts, if you know what i mean…..

I have told kids that were border line high caliber kids, to go test the waters BUT, with all the intention of trying to make the team and be a contributor, not just for a workout…

If your just looking for a workout, what the heck ever happened to dad and daughter at the local park, i just dont see that very often, really kind of sad….
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:26 am

There is no such thing as "no intention of leaving their current team." If you go to a tryout, you are willing to leave. If I have the current team and you go tryout, you can keep trying out and hope you find a new team.

Workout? Its December for Christ's sake. Let the kid get some rest.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:07 pm

shortslappy wrote:
Battle wrote:Are you talking about attending a big org tryout just to see where you stand or just going for another practice?

I'm talking any player who comes out with no intention of leaving their current team.

Seems like a waste of time to me. I would think that you can get a better 'workout' in other ways. If you are attending to gain experience for tryouts, then fine I suppose. If you are asking this question from a parent/player point of view, I would be careful and only pick the big org tryouts. If you are the coach, then I don't know how you would know that the player is not intending on leaving their current team if she doesn't tell you. If she tells you that after the tryout, then she probably doesn't want to come to your team. A polite way of saying, "I don't want to leave my team for yours."... All JMO...
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by tbjd33 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 pm

shortslappy wrote:

Just plain ole stupid! Who does that?!?!
tbjd33

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions