Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

SoCal "Classless" Awards

What's on your mind?

by Skarp » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:12 pm

I find it interesting that certain posters are willing to make a federal case out of etiquette violations when it comes to one team failing to support another's snack bar, but apparently have a problem with calling out teams that, for instance, coach their girls to intentionally attempt to injure other players. I guess that doesn't qualify as a sufficiently egregious violation of softball etiquette.

Man, I do have a lot to learn about this sport. :!:

Nevertheless, I remain interested in this topic. I have personally seen plenty of antics that I would never tolerate on a team that my own dd played for--but, truthfully, nothing that really deserves to be singled out in a forum like this. But I have heard some pretty awful stuff related by other people. So my question remains: which teams are the really bad apples, and why? Or, if you prefer not to name names, that's fine--what's the worst behavior that you have seen out of an opposing team?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Skarp wrote:I find it interesting that certain posters are willing to make a federal case out of etiquette violations when it comes to one team failing to support another's snack bar, but apparently have a problem with calling out teams that, for instance, coach their girls to intentionally attempt to injure other players. I guess that doesn't qualify as a sufficiently egregious violation of softball etiquette.

Nevertheless, I remain interested in this topic. I have personally seen plenty of antics that I would never tolerate on a team that my own dd played for--but, truthfully, nothing that really deserves to be singled out in a forum like this. But I have heard some pretty awful stuff related by other people. So my question remains: which teams are the really bad apples, and why? Or, if you prefer not to name names, that's fine--what's the worst behavior that you have seen out of an opposing team?

Its attribution, Skarp. It has to do with your credibility. Its the difference between taking your information from The Washington Post vs. The Globe. It doesn't take any guts to call out another team anonymously.

Heck, I could come on this thread as another poster and claim that Franchise coaches routinely verbally abuse their players. The fact that it isn't true doesn't matter. They have been stained because you can't argue with an anonymous entity...they can make up whatever they want. Its just a chickenschmit thing to do.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Sam gives his players HGH.

Signed,

- Anonymous
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by umpinva » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:54 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:Well... back on the original subject... I will decline the opportunity to name the two teams that come to mind. However, some of their actions are well known and have happened over an extended period of time. Read; an established pattern of coached behavior.

- Batter runs down first and intentionally steps on the first basemans foot in a purposeful effort to injure. Possible career ending move that deserves a major civil lawsuit.

Unsportsmanlike conduct = ejection

- Runner comes into home, obviously out by a week and a half and tries to slide not at the plate but at the catchers upper thighs, feet up, thrusting the legs forward to injure. Same thing at third and second.

Illegal slide and unsportmanlike conduct = runner is out and ejected.

- Runner out on a force at home by 15 feet and blindsides the catcher (away from the plate) full force.

If blindsiding F2 was before crossing the plate the runner is out and ejected. If blindsiding F2 was after scoring, score the run and eject the runner.

- Same team, on defense, force out at home, runner out by 15 feet (3rd out) and slows up, the catcher flattens the runner then throws the ball into the runners facemask while shes on the ground (Bloomington 12U Nats, 2006).

F2 is ejected for usportmanlike conduct.

- Batter takes an abnormally and painfully obvious rear-and-out swing to intentionally hit the catchers head/helmet or glove.

Intent could be hard to discern, but there could be batter’s interference.

- Coach sends on-deck batter to the opposing sides circle to warm up. Don't know if that's legal now but was at one time.

Most rules are now requiring the on-deck batter to warm up in their teams on-deck circle. NSA allows the ODB to use either ODC.

- Coach sends to multiple assistants out on the sidelines.... one on the backside of the fence in center field to coach/call plays to the outfield. One behind the plate to call plays for the catcher at home, including set-ups. On offense, the coach behind the backstop calls any set-up movement by the catcher to the batter.

Rules require the defensive coaches to remain in the dugout unless an umpire has called time.

- Coach condones the players to, at the end of a losing game, spit in their hand prior to the nice-game-walkby.

As an umpire I’m usually gone from the field when the teams congratulate each other.

- Bean-balls.

If intentional, give a warning and then eject if this action continues. (A warning before the ejection is not mandatory.)

- Any coach that would encourage (or not stop) personal, abusive insults by their players OR their parents directed at opposing players.

Team warning and if the action continues, ejections as necessary. As an umpire I do not confront fans. I have the tournament director or my UIC take care of the rif-raf.

Not just a SoCal thing. There was one central valley team well known for such antics.
umpinva

by Skarp » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Sam wrote:
Skarp wrote:I find it interesting that certain posters are willing to make a federal case out of etiquette violations when it comes to one team failing to support another's snack bar, but apparently have a problem with calling out teams that, for instance, coach their girls to intentionally attempt to injure other players. I guess that doesn't qualify as a sufficiently egregious violation of softball etiquette.

Its attribution, Skarp. It has to do with your credibility. Its the difference between taking your information from The Washington Post vs. The Globe. It doesn't take any guts to call out another team anonymously.

Heck, I could come on this thread as another poster and claim that Franchise coaches routinely verbally abuse their players. The fact that it isn't true doesn't matter. They have been stained because you can't argue with an anonymous entity...they can make up whatever they want. Its just a chickenschmit thing to do.

I disagree. If there is any place on the planet to get accurate information of this kind, it is right here. If some clown with an axe to grind comes on here and badmouths an undeserving team, plenty of in-the-know folks with unblemished credibility will undoubtedly chime in with information to correct the record. I do understand your concerns, but I am confident they will be adequately addressed through the open exchange of information. Now if, on the other hand, a consensus forms about the conduct of a particular team--well, that team has received important information which it may act upon to correct itself. It may also have difficulty in the future attracting quality players, lining up games with decent competition, etc., if it fails to clean up its act.

I also don't think that I should have to provide my name and address to the the coach and parents of a (hypothetical) team that coaches their kids to intentionally spike my daughter. That's like giving Geneva Convention rights to terrorists--we play fair while they do whatever they want. Nope. If numerous independent sources on here say a particular team is dirty, and no trustworthy sources counter the claim, that's good enough for me.

JMO.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 pm

umpiniva,

Hope you are doing our games...

thanks !
fasterpitch92701

by umpinva » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:umpiniva,

Hope you are doing our games...

thanks !

Have time and can travel. :D

Thanks
umpinva

by melsdad » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:13 pm

Skarp wrote:
Sam wrote:

I disagree. If there is any place on the planet to get accurate information of this kind, it is right here. If some clown with an axe to grind comes on here and badmouths an undeserving team, plenty of in-the-know folks with unblemished credibility will undoubtedly chime in with information to correct the record. I do understand your concerns, but I am confident they will be adequately addressed through the open exchange of information. Now if, on the other hand, a consensus forms about the conduct of a particular team--well, that team has received important information which it may act upon to correct itself. It may also have difficulty in the future attracting quality players, lining up games with decent competition, etc., if it fails to clean up its act.

I also don't think that I should have to provide my name and address to the the coach and parents of a (hypothetical) team that coaches their kids to intentionally spike my daughter. That's like giving Geneva Convention rights to terrorists--we play fair while they do whatever they want. Nope. If numerous independent sources on here say a particular team is dirty, and no trustworthy sources counter the claim, that's good enough for me.

JMO.

So, whats your saying is.................. the Geneve Convention does'nt give rights to terrorist????
melsdad

by justadad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:35 am

can other states play?

saw a 10U tourney championship last year wear one team had 4 coaches (dressed in black - looked like Darth Vaders) sitting on buckets at the backstop 5 feet from catcher blatantly stealing signs (caveat to protect the quilty, head coach at 3rd swore he did no such thing and his girls were reading tempo to hit pitchers change....)

offending team was from Philly (kind of reminded me of why they put a jail in Eagles stadium.....)
justadad

by Flash4 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:21 pm

Texas Glory'95 and All Sports Academy'95 (Parents) these are my picks 2006 10u Nationals Moline Illinios. Their chant is still in my head.

Hey softball dad,

How can cheering on your team be considered classless?
Flash4

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions