Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is Early Recruiting Right or Wrong? Kidz "n" Sports

What's on your mind?

by as the world turns » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:52 am

Well, turdy twee, you have it all figured out.
By having the player commit early, she loses all negotiating control over her career path. They WILL tell what major to take that does not interfere with softball. Why? Because they can, since they are paying 100% for her education and they will remind her of that fact. But hey, a PE degree is a PE degree, does not matter what school it is from. Oh, I stand corrected, do they now call it Exercise science or is it Movement science? I can't keep up. You say Stanford will take a 1800 SAT with a 3.8 GPA, good luck in competing with the 2200+ SAT general population, while balancing the time demands of the PAC 12. They offer a PE degree at Stanford? Either way, it will be useful after graduation when she is teaching pitching or hitting lessons in mom and dad's backyard. Atta boy for proving once again that you are the smartest guy on this board.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:02 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:As far as the sweat shirt...I BET the Dads tshirt wont fit either...

Not to mention 4 years worth of nacho sauce and hot dog chili stains..... :lol:

Agreed!

Something I see, is Imcommitteditis...seen plenty of kids let their ego override their ability...using the thought process of Go 0-4 with 5 errors..."So what...Im committed"

You think just maybe this may be a reason an offer gets pulled?

Maybe we start a petition against "Imcommitteditis" to make all aware of the possible ramifications of this terrible disease...

Just sayin...

The current system is basically an NLI at 13 years old. It should not be allowed.
Just sayin!
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:12 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:As far as the sweat shirt...I BET the Dads tshirt wont fit either...

Agreed!

Something I see, is Imcommitteditis...seen plenty of kids let their ego override their ability...using the thought process of Go 0-4 with 5 errors..."So what...Im committed"

Maybe we start a petition against "Imcommitteditis" to make all aware of the possible ramifications of this terrible disease...

Just sayin...

The current system is basically an NLI at 13 years old. It should not be allowed.
Just sayin!

Actually an NLI would be major progress in this deal. That would bind the scholarship. That's a good thing!
tbjd33

by jonriv » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:29 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:

Agreed!

Just sayin...

Just sayin!

Actually an NLI would be major progress in this deal. That would bind the scholarship. That's a good thing!

That's what you got out the responses
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:03 pm

jonriv wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:

Agreed!

Just sayin...

Just sayin!

33 has mentioned before that his son went thru the recruiting process for baseball years ago but I'm not sure if he had a daughter go thru the softball recruiting process already or if he has one or more going thru it now. I'm guessing he has at least one going thru the process currently or he wouldn't even be an HB member.

The reason I bring this up is that I think it's possible that 33 either already had a DD commit early or is working in doing just that. Even if it ended up being a bad deal for her, judging from his general attitude, I doubt he would ever admit that a mistake was made.

It should not come as a surprise that he ignores the responses that don't support his claim (and there are many).
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:41 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
jonriv wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:

Agreed!

Just sayin...

Just sayin!

33 has mentioned before that his son went thru the recruiting process for baseball years ago but I'm not sure if he had a daughter go thru the softball recruiting process already or if he has one or more going thru it now. I'm guessing he has at least one going thru the process currently or he wouldn't even be an HB member.

The reason I bring this up is that I think it's possible that 33 either already had a DD commit early or is working in doing just that. Even if it ended up being a bad deal for her, judging from his general attitude, I doubt he would ever admit that a mistake was made.

It should not come as a surprise that he ignores the responses that don't support his claim (and there are many).

Your correct FP... Graduated college now playing minor league ball.

Yes my 9th grader has and is being recreuited. She was offered 100% September of grade. We have visited 8 and goin on 9 unnofficials not included repeats. We are in the midst of this subject. I speak first hand not from past experience or assumption. My Daughter is blessed with several offers to the best program/education softball can offer.

So why would I not agree with the others. First I simply done agree and do not want limited opportunity. It does irritate me a small group wants to eliminate opportunity for another small group claiming it's better for all. This isnt cookie cutter. This is very personal and even more important; but MOST of all is an excellent opportunity for any DD to have opportunity at any age.

This all being said, I have been clear on my stance. We have done our research. We have talked to the many coaches offering to 8th and 9th graders. Some I didn't like their answers given. Some I was absolutely surprised by they answers. This is a business and in bussiness if you don't adapt then you lose. I teach my daughter this principle and we as a family will help her conclude her acceptance very soon. It has been difficult, interesting, eye opening, exciting and most of all a great life experience for my now 15 year old daughter.

System isn't perfect but it's the system we have and it offers great opportunity. Any process/system which offers that for my or anyone's children has my vote!
tbjd33

by jonriv » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:55 pm

Congrats on the opportunity for your daughter, but what would be the difference if it were two year later?

Would also be willing to give updates through the process( bad as well as good)
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:02 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
jonriv wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:

Agreed!

Just sayin...

Just sayin!

Your correct FP... Graduated college now playing minor league ball.

Yes my 9th grader has and is being recreuited. She was offered 100% September of grade. We have visited 8 and goin on 9 unnofficials not included repeats. We are in the midst of this subject. I speak first hand not from past experience or assumption. My Daughter is blessed with several offers to the best program/education softball can offer.

So why would I not agree with the others. First I simply done agree and do not want limited opportunity. It does irritate me a small group wants to eliminate opportunity for another small group claiming it's better for all. This isnt cookie cutter. This is very personal and even more important; but MOST of all is an excellent opportunity for any DD to have opportunity at any age.

This all being said, I have been clear on my stance. We have done our research. We have talked to the many coaches offering to 8th and 9th graders. Some I didn't like their answers given. Some I was absolutely surprised by they answers. This is a business and in bussiness if you don't adapt then you lose. I teach my daughter this principle and we as a family will help her conclude her acceptance very soon. It has been difficult, interesting, eye opening, exciting and most of all a great life experience for my now 15 year old daughter.

System isn't perfect but it's the system we have and it offers great opportunity. Any process/system which offers that for my or anyone's children has my vote!

First of all congratulations to you and your family. It sounds like you have a well rounded group of exceptional athletes.

I disagree that is a "small group (of parents)" that want this changed. It's likely the majority and is getting larger by the day as the younger parents realize that they have nothing to lose except having to wait a couple extra years before wearing college gear to their kid's games.

Exactly what opportunity would your DD be losing if the rules changed? Seems to me she and your family would be gaining leverage.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:24 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:

Agreed!

Just sayin...

Just sayin!

The current NLI system was widely applauded when it moved NLI's back to Senior year. Colleges were unable to constrain themselves in racing to younger and younger commits. When this was football the pain caused to everyone was very clear. You would get zero traction moving NLI dates forward.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:19 pm

jonriv wrote:Congrats on the opportunity for your daughter, but what would be the difference if it were two year later?

Would also be willing to give updates through the process( bad as well as good)

In today's climate $$ would be soaked up and our family would be financially tougher place. Of course most of her offers have said they will wait as long as needed. A few committing on waiting until NLA day. When opportunity knocks and is exactly a fit why wait.

I don't want to hear well what if... Come at me that way if you can walk in the same shoes. It just isn't that easy.

I'd love to contribute on her process... Issue is it a very competitive environment and there are a ton of politics. It truly is a business on both side and it's sad. I can say I feel that why so many DD's might commit early cause the pressure is there. So until she ultimately decides I will wait. Oh and no comments regarding pressure cause that doesn't change no matter the age. Been through that too!
tbjd33

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions