Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is Early Recruiting Right or Wrong? Kidz "n" Sports

What's on your mind?

by CoachMike » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:54 pm

http://www.irantradio.com/#!kidz-n-sports/ckta

Last week, Coach MIke was joined by Greg Pappas, former A.D. at Hope International University, and John Cookson (Numero Uno) founder of the Hey Bucket softball web site, to discuss early recruiting and it's ramifications. The show carried over to today as well. Click the link above for last week's show. Today's show should be up by tomorrow.

From the sounds of it, this will be a topic of discussion for awhile.

http://www.kidznsports.com

http://www.irantradio.com
You cannot make a positive impact with a negative mind!

Teach First
    Win Later

https://customlineupcards.com
CoachMike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:12 am

CoachMike wrote:http://www.irantradio.com/#!kidz-n-sports/ckta

Last week, Coach MIke was joined by Greg Pappas, former A.D. at Hope International University, and John Cookson (Numero Uno) founder of the Hey Bucket softball web site, to discuss early recruiting and it's ramifications. The show carried over to today as well. Click the link above for last week's show. Today's show should be up by tomorrow.

From the sounds of it, this will be a topic of discussion for awhile.

http://www.kidznsports.com

http://www.irantradio.com

I listened to the entire hour... Still have heard nothing productive.

The common theme is "it's just not good for young girls to be recruited cause they don't know what they want in life!"

Sounds like sour grapes to be honest. I guess the core of it is good. I would agree if the sky was truly falling and it is as they proclaim it to be. Just isn't the case!

Now that being said, we were on an unofficial visit recently and this topic was brought to the table by the Head Coach(very well known from a top 10 program) over lunch. This actually surprised me. It showed the coaches truly are concerned. Her approach was different and she said the players in NFCA are actually considering new guidelines. They don't see it as a problem more than an issue with a few Programs not honoring their word which she said is a major taboo in the coaches circle and the actual verbal them self. She said she felt parent stopped pushing and preparing their DD. They assume admission to school, athletism, skills, character, etc no longer need to be cultivated.

In the end she said the schools/systems are getting a bad reputation when the DD doesn't meet the criteria to be a college athlete and looses the offer. She said, people have to remember Programs aren't recruiting the 8th or 9th grader. They are recruiting her potential as a college freshman.

Personally I feel it's mostly a parent issue and now a lot of people have buyers remorse. But as we do in this day and age we always look for someone to blame instead of fixing our issues.

Parents get it together... These are truly great opportunities for our DD why limit them!
tbjd33

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:57 am

Tell that to Bree Mathews family.

Pretending that taking a 8th grader or Freshman in HS is capable of participating in making a decision 4 years into the future is the root of the problem.

Why not state the earliest they can verbal is start of Junior year. Then the kids can have a reasonable chance of enjoying their high school career without worrying about recruiting non-sense.

No one is removing opportunities from anyone. Just asking that schools wait until later in their high school years to interrupt them with recruiting goofiness.

I have never been in favor of the petition as written. I think it will make no sense to NCAA. NCAA largely see verbals as marketing ploy used by students to increase market interest. Which is the case in football, basketball, baseball, women's basketball. In that sense verbals are a good thing.

I would have had NCAA look into marketplace collusion that makes verbals lock students unnecessarily into commitments which are often below what they would get if the marketplace were healthy and active through the NLI, as it is in other sports.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:09 pm

I agree with AI and cannot agree with 33's arguments. The sky doesn't need to be falling to do the right thing and I have no idea who would have sour grapes. But even if that were true it is not relevant.

99% of the advantage of the early verbal goes to the college coach. If your DD is good enough to get a verbal offer in the 8th grade then they're almost assuredly going to be able to get the same offer later from a variety of schools when they can make a better, more informed decision. There's no reason to rush.

If you are worried about losing out on a big opportunity, don't. The player is not likely at all to break their verbal agreement, but if the coach decides for whatever reason at all down the road that they don't want that player anymore they will yank the verbal. Or worse, keep your DD on the team where she will likely sit for 4 years and maybe even find out the hard way that she doesn't even like where she is, only to realize that she could have made a better decision if given more time and given better guidance by her parents.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:27 pm

FP... Let's inject another thought process.

Why then are 14 years old young girls able to have the right to choose without parental consent. Isn't that a much bigger life altering choice than what "college" she may choose at that very same age?

Why would this be different?

Saying a young 14 year old girl "just can't know the school that good for her" (while stomping my feet in a 5 year old voice!) But yet allow her to remove life from her body is absolutely counter intuitive!

Oh one more... Why is it ok for a regular kid to dream about being a doctor or fireman and we applaud? Why is it great to dream of goin to UCLA as a young person and but not as a young softball player?

Oh and one more... They are many more success stories than failures. Why does society feel the need to protect the small percentage to overtake the wants of the majority? Why feel the need to alter anothers opportunity cause they just might choose wrong?

FP the sky is falling when you eliminate choice for any young DD. Yes every reply is sour grapes and it's sad that grown ass men want to take it away. I am no liberal or feminist movement man. I'm pro young ladies having the most opportunity possible. As a matter of fact where are the feminist Title IV people anyway!!

PS... Sad people envoke the name of a young lady which made an unfortunate choice. It was her choice and her circumstances were hers and hers alone. No need to place that sorrow on others. Learn from it yes but alter the process. NO in my opinion!
tbjd33

by PairOfAces » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:58 pm

What am I missing here? Someone on one side brings up the unfortunate suicide of a 16, not 14, year old, and an opposing viewpoint brings up abortion? Really? What are the purposes of either argument?

Every child is different, and if the parents raise them right, and give them good sound advice and guidance, why not let them make their own choice. My 14 y.o. is not on any college radar but if she were, I don't think she is anywhere near ready to make a decision about where to go to college or what she wants to do with her life, and that is the advice I would give her.

On the other hand, my 12 y.o.,, were she to end up being recruited, has known for about two years what she wants to do with her life and where she wants to go to college to accomplish these goals. So if that college were to want her at 14, I would have no problem letting her verbal.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:08 pm

PairOfAces wrote:What am I missing here? Someone on one side brings up the unfortunate suicide of a 16, not 14, year old, and an opposing viewpoint brings up abortion? Really? What are the purposes of either argument?

Every child is different, and if the parents raise them right, and give them good sound advice and guidance, why not let them make their own choice. My 14 y.o. is not on any college radar but if she were, I don't think she is anywhere near ready to make a decision about where to go to college or what she wants to do with her life, and that is the advice I would give her.

On the other hand, my 12 y.o.,, were she to end up being recruited, has known for about two years what she wants to do with her life and where she wants to go to college to accomplish these goals. So if that college were to want her at 14, I would have no problem letting her verbal.

Aces this tread is about Choice and a young girls ability to freely have it. These people do not want your 12 year old to not have that option.

I'm fighting for your 12 year old to have that chance. Period!

Now track with me... My point is people are ok with and allow a 14 year old to choose life or not, but not her potential future college. They are related. Choice is choice people!
tbjd33

by CheckWriter » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Why is it ok for a regular kid to dream about being a doctor or fireman and we applaud?

They are not verballing to Med School at 14 either.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by tbjd33 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:19 pm

CheckWriter wrote:
Why is it ok for a regular kid to dream about being a doctor or fireman and we applaud?

They are not verballing to Med School at 14 either.

Clueless... Can take a horse to water but can't make it drink!

Great place to be when grown men want to take potential opportunity away from little girls. Bet you guys feel real big and bad.

I urge everyone to sit through that pain staking hour of no single suggestion of a plan other than. The are too young so make them wait...

Uhh ok!

What say you people?!?! If this is such a travesty then let's hear legit reasons. End of the day you guys are moaning and groaning about an average of 20 young girls a year. Seriously... If that's not sour grapes than please explain what it.
tbjd33

by AlwaysImprove » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:00 am

They analog to Choice over pregnancy is a horrible one. Way too many moral

Deciding to be a Doctor or a Fireman is completely different. Of course you realize this. 14 year old kid "I want to be a doctor" Same kid at 18 "I am joining the army". No one cares. Not really much of a commitment. Correct?

Mentioning an example of how the pressure of forcing a young person to focus on such a life critical decision at way too young of an age is the exactly point. Thinking that is isolated in some way is not correct. There is a ton of pressure on both the kids that are getting the golden tickets and those that are not quite making it. That pressure is senseless.

Let them enjoy high school. As a high school student. The opportunities will still be there in their Junior year or Senior year.

You have not really articulated how it helps kids to rush to this decision vs waiting until their junior/senior year.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions