Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is Early Recruiting Right or Wrong? Kidz "n" Sports

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:30 am

What we need to fight for more than changing the verbal system is MORE SCHOLERSHIPS...Softball is becoming a giant in media and sponsors. It is third only to football(of course) and men's basketball in viewer ship and sponsors. The viewing number during the WCWS was 2.5 times the CWS. Why not fight to make the number 18full guaranteed instead of 12 whatever they decide. Think about it, most college rosters hover around 18-20. Schools already pay travel, medical, and an assortment of cost related to that number. So what if they add 8 more scholerships. I know that gets pricey but that's not our issue. Now that is a great fight!

Would love to see more Scholarships(note the spelling :D ), but don't hold your breath. Despite how much we all love it here- it is still a money loser. just think of all thee schools that do not fund all the scholarships they are allowed now? As far as being the third most popular sport??? Unfortunately I do not think it is the top women's sport by popularity. Women's Basketball is a bigger draw. In the PAC 12 Women's Gymnastics are HUGE
jonriv

by PairOfAces » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Found this article very interesting. Convenient that the University is "not allowed" to respond.

Two weeks from signing day, offer pulled from lineman committed to Michigan since 2013
3 Comments 
By John TaylorJan 20, 2016, 1:46 PM EST

The past couple of weeks have featured nothing but feel-good stories — some would call one them creepy — of Jim Harbaugh on the recruiting trail. Today, though, the unsightly underbelly of the recruiting game has been exposed yet again.

Erik Swenson was the first commitment to Michigan’s 2016 recruiting class, verballing to Brady Hoke and the Wolverines back in November of 2013. Even with the coaching change from Hoke to Harbaugh in December of 2014, the four-star offensive lineman remained committed. Why? Because he committed to a school, not a coach.

“You have to stick with your commitment, you committed to Michigan, you have to honor that,” Swenson told mlive.com last June. “You made a commitment and you have to show you’re willing to honor it. There will be ups and downs at any place, and any place you go you’ll have to show you can push through them.”

Fast-forward seven months, and how was Swenson’s loyalty rewarded? By having his offer from UM pulled exactly two weeks before National Signing Day. At least, that’s the recruit’s side of the story.

From mlive.com:

“In a text message to MLive, the four-star offensive tackle said Michigan recently pulled its scholarship offer and canceled his previously scheduled official visit. He said the program did not provide a reason for doing so. He declined to speak further on the matter at this time.”

Swenson had previously revealed on his personal Twitter account that, “[d]ue to unforeseen circumstances, I am reopening my recruitment.”

Because of NCAA bylaws, UM officials will not be permitted to address, at least on the record, their side of a story that’s certainly to cause its share of controversy.

Swenson is the No. 2 player at any position in the state of Illinois and the No. 227 overall in the country according to Rivals.com. He also holds offers from, among others, Alabama, Illinois, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Virginia Tech.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by shortslappy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:19 pm

Was forwarded an article about an 8th grader out of So Cal who verballed to University of Arizona. I will admit that I do find it impressive that she caught the eye of a major university to even get an invite to a prospect camp, but there are a lot of things that can happen in 4 years. My DD is just a few months younger than this player and I can't even imagine her knowing what she wants for dinner tonight.
shortslappy

by Lace » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:52 am

The early verbal affects a very small percentage of players. Most of these kids are very elite players from solid families and accomplished programs. Most coaches do their homework on these kids. I really don't have a problem with it but at the same time I would not have a problem if they put an age limit on it either. The biggest risk for the player is when there is a coaching change.
Lace

by abomb36 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:13 am

One advantage that I see in an early verbal for the player/family that I have not seen discussed is a potential savings on showcases/college camps/recruiting services. No need to travel to several different schools every year to get noticed when you verbal, right?

While this certainly doesn't offset the huge advantage the college program has in the arrangement, it is something.

And you only have to buy college gear from one school, not whatever is the flavor of the month for your daughter! /s
abomb36

by jtat32 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:23 pm

Sometimes early commits are definitely the right thing:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... nt-to-ucla
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:34 pm

abomb36 wrote:One advantage that I see in an early verbal for the player/family that I have not seen discussed is a potential savings on showcases/college camps/recruiting services. No need to travel to several different schools every year to get noticed when you verbal, right?

While this certainly doesn't offset the huge advantage the college program has in the arrangement, it is something.

And you only have to buy college gear from one school, not whatever is the flavor of the month for your daughter! /s

That's true...until the recruiting coach decides to move on to bigger and better things and the new coach knows nothing about you. You're left starting all over in the recruiting process of proving yourself and if it don't play into what the new coach has in mind then you are left with nothing but school colors and gear. You have now wasted the best years for recruiting at no fault of anyone including the coach that decided to move on.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Battle wrote:
abomb36 wrote:One advantage that I see in an early verbal for the player/family that I have not seen discussed is a potential savings on showcases/college camps/recruiting services. No need to travel to several different schools every year to get noticed when you verbal, right?

That's true...until the recruiting coach decides to move on to bigger and better things and the new coach knows nothing about you. You're left starting all over in the recruiting process of proving yourself and if it don't play into what the new coach has in mind then you are left with nothing but school colors and gear. You have now wasted the best years for recruiting at no fault of anyone including the coach that decided to move on.

But Battle! That's a win-win for the coaches involved! :lol: :roll: :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions