Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Catchers helmets, on / off

What's on your mind?

by 59Invicta » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:10 pm

Battle wrote:
catcherzrule wrote:With FEW exceptions, MLB catchers are "lazy" when it comes to framing the ball. In fact, just within the last two-three years has "framing" become something that the numbers guys, in the front offices of the MLB, have included on their magical list of 0's and 1's.

So, in terms of working to get their pitchers strikes, softball wins out over MLB everyday. :shock:

Lol...Yeah that's it...lazy. Maybe MLB catchers know better than to try to frame a pitch 12 inches off the plate like a lot of the fastpitch catchers do. It's not really their fault though when you have coaches telling them to do it. Most high level umps know better.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was going to chime in on the helmet thing, but it just doesn't get much better than this response from Battle.
59Invicta
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Eric F » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:06 pm

Sam wrote:All of the best catchers in the world, MLB catchers, remove their masks and many of them use the hockey style mask. The field of vision improved with the Hockey mask but it will never be as good as when there is no mask. I teach my catchers to get rid of it.

All of them?...

My young daughter has been taught to leave her mask on while the ball is in play. During a play at the plate, the runner will be protected by a helmet with a metal cage. I want my daughter's face protected at least as well.

An example of why I'm pretty strong about my stance on the issue... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgBGpI ... RsikmuNBUp
Eric F
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:22 pm

Eric F wrote:
Sam wrote:All of the best catchers in the world, MLB catchers, remove their masks and many of them use the hockey style mask. The field of vision improved with the Hockey mask but it will never be as good as when there is no mask. I teach my catchers to get rid of it.

All of them?...

My young daughter has been taught to leave her mask on while the ball is in play. During a play at the plate, the runner will be protected by a helmet with a metal cage. I want my daughter's face protected at least as well.

An example of why I'm pretty strong about my stance on the issue... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgBGpI ... RsikmuNBUp

I was referring to pop ups which require the maximum movement of the neck and maximum need for full vision. I noticed on your posted pics that the umpire has his mask off.....why do you think that might be....?

Why in the world would a runner need protection at the plate when they are required to avoid contact....normally by sliding.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Eric F » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:14 pm

Sam wrote:I was referring to pop ups which require the maximum movement of the neck and maximum need for full vision. I noticed on your posted pics that the umpire has his mask off.....why do you think that might be....?

Why in the world would a runner need protection at the plate when they are required to avoid contact....normally by sliding.

The ump isn't involved with a close play at the plate that may include significant contact. What he does with his mask is irrelevant to me and how I teach young catchers.

In youth softball, batters wear helmets with metal cages, and those helmets stay on their head until they leave the field. Young players also tend to fall over in unpredictable ways. I have seen batters' helmets bang into catchers' helmets more than once.

As for pop-ups, my DD had no issue tracking and catching this one....

Or this one...

As far as I can tell, the range of mobility of her head is not being impeded by her helmet.

Here's another catcher who didn't seem to be hindered by her helmet...https://www.facebook.com/JenSchroCatchi ... =2&theater

If she takes the time to pull off her helmet, she doesn't make that play.

At the end of the day, I'm going to train my DD and the other young catchers I work with to keep their mask on during any play on the field, and help their parents understand why I feel it's very important. There really isn't ANYTHING you can say to change my mind on this issue.
Last edited by Eric F on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric F
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:15 pm

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blog ... 50x560.jpg

I know.... always. Especially when that full neck movement is needed. :lol:
swells9232

by MTR » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:19 pm

Sam wrote:I was referring to pop ups which require the maximum movement of the neck and maximum need for full vision. I noticed on your posted pics that the umpire has his mask off.....why do you think that might be....?.

Just so you know, there are two reasons:

1. Because it does provide a wider range of vision with zero amount of bars in that range;

2. If worn properly, the mask should be loose on the umpire's head. So s/he needs to get it off as quick as possible to have a clear view of the play on the field.
MTR

by Pale Rider » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:17 am

Foul ball? She can or can not take it off...
A play at the plate?

She'll leave it on...don't care who says to remove it.
Its called protective gear for a reason.and she'll play in a sportsman like fashion, but some girls dont.
She needs that brain functional for the rest of her life.
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catcherzrule » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:33 am

Battle...

It's not the pitch 12 inches off the plate, but the one on the "black" that FAR too many MLB catchers receive like they either don't expect it to be called, don't care if it's called or don't know the difference. Yadi, and some of the top MLB catchers frame the ball well, but OVERALL, that position looks more like a backstop than someone working EVERY pitch for their pitcher....IMO.
catcherzrule

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions