Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Catchers helmets, on / off

What's on your mind?

by NRS » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Is there any time when a catcher should remove her helmet while the ball is in play? I notice that most College, HS and Travel players now leave them on for pop ups but not all do
NRS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by swells9232 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:24 pm

The "newer" hockey style masks have a good field of vision and therefore don't need to be discarded as soon as a catcher engages a play. Most training is left over from the "old" style masks that haven't been used for years. I know my DD keeps it on for most plays.
swells9232

by Pale Rider » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:41 am

Mine leaves hers on in most cases...
And trust me when I say make her leave it on when there a play at the plate...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by progapanda » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:12 am

My DD leaves hers on.
progapanda
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:47 pm

All of the best catchers in the world, MLB catchers, remove their masks and many of them use the hockey style mask. The field of vision improved with the Hockey mask but it will never be as good as when there is no mask. I teach my catchers to get rid of it.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by orange socks » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:25 am

This is what Jay Weaver says. This is his Aug Tip of the Month.

Mask: on or off?

The number of questions we've gotten recently on what to do with the catcher's mask on a popup has been astounding. It's been quite the hot-button issue this Summer.

I had this debate with my father years ago and I was insistent on taking it off. I told him that I had never seen an MLB catcher leave it on. He kept telling me "son, just go outside and try it." Now in all fairness, I was a two-piece guy my entire career, and would never think of leaving the mask on, hockey-style or not. For me it just wasn't even a consideration.

One day we got into a heated discussion about this play and we agreed that I would go out to the field the next morning, and field a few pop-ups with the mask on. Funny thing happened that night. Before we could ever get to the experiment, I was watching a Phillies vs. Cardinals game and saw both Carlos Ruiz and Yadier Molina field sky-high pop-ups with their masks on in consecutive innings. My dad just leaned over and grinned.

While we were at the field the next day he asked me "Jay, you love hockey, right? Well have you ever seen a shot from the blue line deflect straight up into the air?" Naturally, I said yes. "And did the goalie then feel the need to take his mask off?!?!" We laughed, but the point was made.

Catchers, if you are wearing the "hockey-style" masks you do NOT need to take the mask off. In fact, those masks are designed to allow you to see just fine. If you've never understood how this might be possible, head out to a field and have someone throw a bunch of balls into the air for you with your mask on. You WILL be able to track and follow the balls path and set yourself up to make a clean play. Keeping it on serves two purposes. One, it saves a bunch of time. And two, it eliminates any risk of tripping on your helment after you take it off.

For some of you younger catchers, the weight of the helmet might be too much. In that case, and only that case, does the mask need to come off, but make sure you don't ditch it until you have located the ball. Otherwise you risk throwing it to the ground at a spot you might very well be headed.

Now ladies, simply put...NEVER take it off. Ever. Popups in the girls' game do not go as high as in baseball. There is just no time to take it off, find the ball, set up and then make the catch. Often, popups in softball are dinks and dunks over the catcher's shoulders, requiring a much quicker approach to the ball.

In either case, and to reiterate the point, the masks are designed to be left on. Yes, even in the case of popups.

Thanks for reading this month's Tip of the Month!
orange socks

by swells9232 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:33 pm

So all the "best catchers in the world" are MLB catchers. Wow, guess I missed that competition on ESPN. Because catching on a softball field and baseball field are exactly the same. :lol:
swells9232

by Sam » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:12 pm

swells9232 wrote:So all the "best catchers in the world" are MLB catchers. Wow, guess I missed that competition on ESPN. Because catching on a softball field and baseball field are exactly the same. :lol:

There is no competition.....literally and/or figuratively. You aren't actually suggesting that softball catchers rival MLB catchers.....are you? Really?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catcherzrule » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:17 pm

With FEW exceptions, MLB catchers are "lazy" when it comes to framing the ball. In fact, just within the last two-three years has "framing" become something that the numbers guys, in the front offices of the MLB, have included on their magical list of 0's and 1's.

So, in terms of working to get their pitchers strikes, softball wins out over MLB everyday. :shock:
catcherzrule

by Battle » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:47 pm

catcherzrule wrote:With FEW exceptions, MLB catchers are "lazy" when it comes to framing the ball. In fact, just within the last two-three years has "framing" become something that the numbers guys, in the front offices of the MLB, have included on their magical list of 0's and 1's.

So, in terms of working to get their pitchers strikes, softball wins out over MLB everyday. :shock:

Lol...Yeah that's it...lazy. Maybe MLB catchers know better than to try to frame a pitch 12 inches off the plate like a lot of the fastpitch catchers do. It's not really their fault though when you have coaches telling them to do it. Most high level umps know better.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions