Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Question about Friendlies

What's on your mind?

by Skarp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:04 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:Strictly speaking, I don't see where either of you (Sam and Skarp) are wrong with your core assertion. Big friendlies are done to raise money and snack bars are a part of that. Last summer, the org. my kid plays for hosted one. I spent 6 hours emptying trash cans and fetching snack bar supplies. OOOOh was that fun. It was my contribution to an effort to raise money. If nobody buys crap at the snack bar, the org. doesn't host any more friendlies. Why would they? And no, Skarp, not you personally, nor any individual is obligated to buy stuff they don't want. And if every day I walked into the office and when people said "Good morning John" I didn't respond, it wouldn't be long before they would rightly think I'm a dick and they would shun me. I'm not obligated to respond but there are consequences if I don't. Skarp, I suspect you get that and are simply staking out a position that is easily defensible in theory. No problems here.

So I agree with both of you and I disagree with both of you. If you guys would change course slightly and beat on me instead of each other, it would at least change the dynamic.

John

John, you're a pig...my only consolation is that you probably continue to gain weight and die of a heart attack at an early age. :mrgreen:

Seriously though...point taken. In truth my feathers were a bit ruffled. On one thread I've got someone telling me what I should and shouldn't be talking about, and on another I've got someone telling me where I should be spending my money--and both invoking moral superiority in the bargain!

How about me worrying about me and you worrying about you (that's a generic "you," not you personally). I'll discuss and post about topics that I'm interested in, you feel free to do the same. I'll buy or not buy as I see fit, you feel free to shun me or not as you like. But don't tell me what I can and can't say, or where I am obligated to spend my money--the concepts are only marginally less offensive than the manner in which they were presented.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:20 pm

Sam wrote:You are and have been arguing against my argument....which is....when people don't feel like they are obligated to support the hosts' reasonable fundraising efforts...a snack bar....sooner or later it won't be worth hosting.

I've never once argued against that claim. All I have said is that I in fact am not obligated to support your fundraising efforts, and that, contrarily, your fundraising efforts should be planned intelligently enough to induce support on their own merit rather than misguided notions of obligation. If you can't do that, then I won't lose any sleep if you don't make any money and ultimately find friendlies to not be worth hosting. I have faith that others will fill the void and profit in the bargain. It's the American way.

You make your choices, I make mine. If our interests align sufficiently then both sides win. But in my world you don't get to make my choices for me or tell me what they ought to be. Capiche?
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:30 pm

Skarp wrote:
Sam wrote: You people are frickin amazing....oh, the food isn't healthy...its not a gameday meal....give me a break.

Well let's recap your argument, shall we. Everyone is supposed to spend their money with your snack bar whether or not it provides them with anything they want. Great argument. Definitely carries the day.

Sam wrote:Its great listening to people whine about things they've never actually attempted to do themselves. You didn't win a thing, friend....all of five people supported your weak position and I'm betting they're all 10U posters.

I'll take 5 rational 10U posters in exchange for all the mindless sycophants that subscribe to your addled logic...not that they are exactly in abundance...review the thread. The funny thing here is that I drop more dough on crappy snack-bar food than any two average posters. I have a good-sized family, and I'm not exactly a penny-pincher. But I won't be told where or how I should spend my money...not by you or anyone else.

I do believe you have talked me out of buying snack bar food, if your sense of entitlement is representative of those hosting said operations.

Skarp,

I think it's more about friendly etiquette. No one's telling you (or should be) you can't bring your own food. But if an entire team drags in a BBQ and ignores the host's fund-raiser, they could take exception and not invite you back (Have seen both happen back in the day). I personally don't think anyone should have to live exclusively off the snack shack food all day but yes I do believe that it violates and unwritten rule or at least garden variety good manners to purposely blow off the fundraiser altogether. Now if the snack shack flat out sucks, that's the host's problem and they'll be lucky to get anyone back anyway. But violations of this etiquette rarely have anything to do with the quality of the snack bar IMO since they're usually pre planned.

Of course I've been past the friendly age for awhile now but this is how it was in "our day". But things change and maybe this "etiquette" no longer exists. You'd probably know better than me.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Sam wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:Strictly speaking, I don't see where either of you (Sam and Skarp) are wrong with your core assertion. Big friendlies are done to raise money and snack bars are a part of that. Last summer, the org. my kid plays for hosted one. I spent 6 hours emptying trash cans and fetching snack bar supplies. OOOOh was that fun. It was my contribution to an effort to raise money. If nobody buys crap at the snack bar, the org. doesn't host any more friendlies. Why would they? And no, Skarp, not you personally, nor any individual is obligated to buy stuff they don't want. And if every day I walked into the office and when people said "Good morning John" I didn't respond, it wouldn't be long before they would rightly think I'm a dick and they would shun me. I'm not obligated to respond but there are consequences if I don't. Skarp, I suspect you get that and are simply staking out a position that is easily defensible in theory. No problems here.

So I agree with both of you and I disagree with both of you. If you guys would change course slightly and beat on me instead of each other, it would at least change the dynamic.

John

Is beating a blind squirrel anything like spanking a monkey?

Finally a topic I know something about. The answer is yes.

Clarification: My response was not encouragement Sam.

John
Last edited by Blind Squirrel on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:25 pm

heretostay wrote:not you scratch my back I bend you over..

great post, but that visual is going to haunt my dreams...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:45 pm

heretostay wrote:No one said that you have to or are obligated to buy from a snack bar

Well since my only argument is that I'm not obligated to buy from a snack bar, it's exceedingly curious how many words have been expended in this thread telling me that my position is stupid if nobody is saying that I'm obligated to buy from a snack bar.

heretostay wrote: ...it's just the right thing to do.

Perhaps it usually is, but I reject the assertion that it necessarily is. If I run a friendly, it's on me to figure out how to capture those dollars. And if I truly think I am doing everything I can to do so (i.e., providing a decent selection of quality offerings at a somewhat reasonable price) and am still getting no play, then sure--I might forget to invite a team or two back. That's me making decisions that I feel are in my best interest and other people doing the same. If I'm smart enough, I'll figure out how to make our interests align--or I'll conclude that they cannot be aligned. Either way, I'm not going to ridicule them for making their own decisions in their own perceived self-interest. I only know what's best for me. Unlike some, I don't claim to know what's best for everyone else.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:59 pm

Demonboy wrote: But violations of this etiquette rarely have anything to do with the quality of the snack bar IMO since they're usually pre planned.

Any time people bring their own food it's pre-planned. But isn't there a bit of a catch-22 here. I you don't bring your own food, you are at the mercy of the host's offerings (and are going to drop a lot of $$ too). If you do bring your own food then, well, you've got your own food, and the snack bar will have to provide attractive offerings to get your business. I will agree that showing up with a full-on barbeque is over the top, and I wouldn't invite that team back either if I was hosting. But again, that's just me making my choices and them making theirs--ahhh, sweet capitalism.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by punisher » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:53 pm

scrap, you are a bonafide idiot!!!! The original post was;
"What do you think about teams bringing in their own food at a friendly and not supporting the Host team’s snack bar? If the snack bar has healthy to eat don't you think that you should try to support them?"

No where in the original post does it say you’re "obligated". You pompous stupid ignorant person.

The key word is "try" you’re an idiot not obligated. Try means to attempt with no commitment, obligated means you agreed before hand and you must follow thru.

I agree with Sam almost 100%.

Tell me your teams that you invite to a friendly where 40-50 each will spend $10 each. Okay let’s do the math = $ 400-$ 500 per team 8-12 team friendly should bring in $ 3,200-$ 6,000 just at the snack bar. Opps don't tell me who the teams are, because you never ever have ever run a friendly.

Sam's right "amazing freaking people" he's talking about you.

No one's obligated its just etiquette. Like golf, like waiting for all food to be served etc... However you wouldn't know this as well.

Please don't respond to this reply. from my computer I could smell the s_ _ t coming out of your mouth as matter of fact tell me what team you play on so I can make sure I invite you to our friendly and serve you some that SCRAP!!!!

Out!!

Punisher
punisher

by Skarp » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:31 pm

punisher wrote:scrap, you are a bonafide idiot!!!! The original post was;
"What do you think about teams bringing in their own food at a friendly and not supporting the Host team’s snack bar? If the snack bar has healthy to eat don't you think that you should try to support them?"

No where in the original post does it say you’re "obligated". You pompous stupid ignorant person.

Should: past tense of shall--used to express obligation or duty.

Do you require any other lessons in elementary English, or will that suffice?

punisher wrote:I agree with Sam almost 100%.

Well there's a big surprise. You must be one of those other laughing veterans he was talking about. Well I am duly impressed. Your eloquence, wit, and keen eye for linguistic nuance are awe-inspiring. No doubt you possess softball-related knowledge of similar magnitude. :o

punisher wrote:No one's obligated

If you read the thread, or enlist someone who can help you with that, you'll be shocked and dismayed to learn that it's actually me you agree with. But all the names you called me were kind of fun to read anyway. Now go wait for the short bus--it'll be along soon. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Skarp on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jofus » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 am

Can I have 1-post alts for $500 please, Alex?

I would rather my DD eat healthier than most snack bars server during a tournament, and Lord knows I don't need to eat a bunch of junk. That's why I have my 9 year old boy and 2 year old girl, they can almost support a snack bar for a weekend by themselves :D

(They're both way skinny, too, interestingly enough....not being able to sit still for 30 seconds at a time helps, I guess)
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions