Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Do what's right and Please sign

What's on your mind?

by PuraVida » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:18 pm

A lot of good info and input. Thank you Uno for starting the movement. This is just the beginning.
We all know where the NCAA stands on verbals and we all know of the contact rules. Yet we are constantly be told of the latest commitment by an 8th grader.

To truly implement change we need to involve the CEOs of all the showcase entity out there. One major obstacle is that these entity make a huge amount of money of the system in its current stage. Any change to that would impact their bottom line.

The following quote is from the website listed by. Mark H
The parents are in control here

“In football and basketball the verbal means nothing to the other schools that may be recruiting a kid. Those coaches recruit kids right up until they sign their NLI. There are kids changing their commitments regularly in those sports. They understand the verbal means nothing”.

“Softball is a different story. A kid commits and everyone stops their recruiting effort and the kid is ostracized if she changes her mind.”

The problem in softball is that the parents have handed over control to the TB coaches and the system.
Let’s not blame the parent anymore, but rather educate them on how to retain control.

I have made a point to never share about my DD. Due to the importance of educating the parents I will make an exception this one time.

My DD was offered a verbal in her freshman year. We acknowledged, she communicated with the coach almost monthly through me, until he was able to contact her. We never advertised it and continued contacting and visiting other schools.
In her sophomore year, her new TB coach became aware of the commitment and told us he wanted to list it on the team brochure/roster. We said no. His reply: I will have to give some thought to your continued association with my team. I said thank you and shared it with the family. DD did exactly what we knew she would do. She showed up the next day, finished the games, changed and walk up to him handed over the uniform walked away and never looked back.

In the end she selected a different school and we as a family never lost control of her future. We fly out next week to drop her off as she starts the next phase of her life, where she will receive a great education and play softball.
PuraVida

by Mark H » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:21 pm

Soft commit till late then?
Mark H

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:06 pm

Very disappointing that there are only 193 signatures to this point.

I'm wondering if one of the obstacles is that the parents of the younger kids are just too caught up in the idea of being able to walk around proud as peacocks for a few years with their college gear on and so they won't support this.

They can't see past this to realize that early verbals are not only not necessary for 99% of the girls and their families that do them but they are are actually limiting your experience and choices.

By the time they realize it's a bad thing it will be too late...for everyone.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:41 pm

There is a lot of ignorant people out there. Many parents in softball never went to college and of those, very few played a sport. They would have a hard time spelling SAT, ACT and CAT :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Mark H » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:45 pm

FPD05,

Unless the commits become considered soft commits like football.
Last edited by Mark H on Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark H

by crashsdaddy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:46 pm

I know of two other sites with the petition link on it. One has 2600 views, the other 4400 views. Most posters say they don't see the issue and obviously damn few signed the petition.

Guess its a non issue.
crashsdaddy

by jonriv » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:48 pm

as the world turns wrote:There is a lot of ignorant people out there. Many parents in softball never went to college and of those, very few played a sport. They would have a hard time spelling SAT, ACT and CAT :lol:

Your best post yet!!!!!!!!
jonriv

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:54 pm

Mark H wrote:FPD05,

Unless the commits become considered soft commits like football.

Mark, that would be preferable to what we have now for sure.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:02 pm

crashsdaddy wrote:I know of two other sites with the petition link on it. One has 2600 views, the other 4400 views. Most posters say they don't see the issue and obviously damn few signed the petition.

Guess its a non issue.

That's the issue...people don't realize what the issue is,

What we need are testimonials from parents or players who have been hurt by this so more people can understand the risk vs reward of the early verbal.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by crashsdaddy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:13 am

As the saying goes...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.
crashsdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions