Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Steel cleats and sprained ankles

What's on your mind?

by traveldude » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:09 am

I'm not a md either but I believe "ankle support" is self explanitory. It is made out of a ballistic nylon type material laces in the front and TEMPORARILY supports the ankle during injury recovery. It does restrict movement ever so slightly but not enough to hinder play. My DD said it felt good to lace it on. Have you ever used an ace bandage or had a doctor tape your toe when its broken?. My DDs team trainer has a roll of med tape on his hip and he whips it out faster than wild bill hickock. Having temporary support will also relieve pain which in turn stops the brain from sending relief in the form of swelling. Keep in mind I am not a doctor...I just play one on TV.
DonnieS,
We are from Orange County Ca and we bought ours at Chick's Sporting Goods
traveldude

by traveldude » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 am

Good point...LOL By the way Spazdad, Your picture...I am diggin the front and back "cleavage thing".
Traveldude
traveldude

by DonnieS » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:22 am

John, good points, i am not a md either but my little brother is. I will talk to him, as well as dd's sports doctor and her trainer about what you brought up. If I screwed up , hey its only money.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 am

traveldude wrote:I'm not a md either but I believe "ankle support" is self explanitory. It is made out of a ballistic nylon type material laces in the front and TEMPORARILY supports the ankle during injury recovery. It does restrict movement ever so slightly but not enough to hinder play. My DD said it felt good to lace it on. Have you ever used an ace bandage or had a doctor tape your toe when its broken?. My DDs team trainer has a roll of med tape on his hip and he whips it out faster than wild bill hickock. Having temporary support will also relieve pain which in turn stops the brain from sending relief in the form of swelling. Keep in mind I am not a doctor...I just play one on TV.
DonnieS,
We are from Orange County Ca and we bought ours at Chick's Sporting Goods

Yeah I see the sense in its use during recovery. My kid tore 2 ligaments in her ankle last November stepping on the 1B's foot on a field with only one base at first (no safety bag?). She has been wearing an ankle support in games while it heals. My question was more about routine use unrelated to injury/recovery, but in retrospect, that was a pretty stupid question in this context.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by traveldude » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:28 pm

It was not stupid My DD wears her knee brace that her Surgeon prescribed. She only wears it during games when she knows it time to go 110% the DR said its up to her at this point. I'm not sure if there is any concrete answer. Ankle injuries are tough. My DDs knee gets sore but its part of the territory..I guess
Traveldude
traveldude

by frogs_mom_15 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 pm

My DD sprained her ankle in the first tournament of last spring. This was a slide injury, her toes caught the edge of 3rd base. Anyway, we went to the local Walgreens and got the McDavid brace. It laces up and also has cross straps that wrap under the foot and velcro up on the sides and a wide elastic band wraps around the top. Around $20-$25 not bad. Really great brace! I know now from experience, just about 2 hrs ago while coming out of a storage building, stepped down wrong and rolled my ankle. The ER gave me a splint that wasn't worth a flip so, Im wearing the McDavid right now :)

As for the whole metal cleat debate, Im personally for it. Sure they will take some time to get used to, but I don't see a major increase in injuries coming. JMO
It's only a little skin, it'll grow back!

Frog gettin' the sign
frogs_mom_15

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions