Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

DD's Best or Funniest Moment ??????????

What's on your mind?

by wadeintothem » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:29 pm

FPdaddy wrote:UMPINVA,

I appreciate your opinion and have nothing but respect for umpires.

Would you have tossed her because she hit the batter OR because of her comment afterwards?

The reason I ask is...there is NO WAY you could determine if she threw at the batter on purpose. My DD hits about one batter every tourney TOTALLY by accident. We DO NOT want baserunners! So I assume you wouldn't toss an 11 year old girl for hitting a batter?!? Now, if you would have run her for her comments, I could understand that.

This brings up the point...why don't blues or TD's take a more proactive approach to all the negative cheering?

I guess you had to be there...it really was funny.

Keith

If this really happened, I can assure you I would have tossed her. There is no doubt. The mimimum would be a big time warning, but at that age, she would have likely been ejected. There is a way I could have determined it was on purpose, she said it! I dont need proof beyond a reasonable doubt, I am judge jury and executioner.

Regarding negative cheering.. its a fine line.. and a rough one to walk as an umpire.. and frankly, sometimes its pretty miserable when both teams are going at each other with them. I dont have an answer for it.. the few times I've made the mistake of mentioning it, it gets worse, louder, and parents get ticked etc. They may not do the same cheer.. but the next one is full bore fire.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by 2bucketdad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:05 am

Best one ever for me is a 11 year old that pitches with my dd's 12U team has been pitching great all game long and is on track for a 1 hitter, bottom of 6 gets a K for the final out and the assitant coach walks out on the field, the little pitcher says "oh, you are taking me out, I thought I was doing pretty good?" to which the coach replies "No sweetie, thats the ball game." the darling little blonde pitcher replies "OH, did we win?"
2bucketdad

by DonnieS » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:19 am

>> the darling little blonde pitcher replies "OH, did we win?" <<

We have to remember that not everyone is as intense as we are or as our hard core kids are - and just enjoy their reactions.

I have coached a younger group - these are kids that are the same age as my younger dd, she has played up most of her sports life - I am hoping to find enough kids to play around her when they are in high school. I talked several kids in - one was a cheerleader reject. I love that kid - she is so honest and so direct - her dad is a high school baseball coach and didnt work with her much - hey, she wanted to cheer.

We are playing a league game last year, I called a bunt, and she laid it down, but she didnt run - she just stood there, cradled the bat, and watched the ball roll along the first base white line - I, her parents, my dd, are all yelling 'RUN RUN RUN' - at the last second it hangs right - and is a foul. I went over to her and said 'Sweetheart, you lay down a bunt, you have to run hard.' She looks at me, rolls her eyes and says "Duh, shouldnt we just wait and see where the ball is going to go?"
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 am

Ok, so 2 weeks ago my DD is pitching to a really good team (playing older 16u team). Having the game of her life. Everything seems to be working (ok except for the 2 hanging change-ups).

Pitches a great curve. Ump does the long stare with the lean like he wants to call the strike but just can't make up his mind. Jokingly (Already have a good repore with the blue) I say, "Aw, come on!!! Pull the trigger!!!" He takes a second, calls time and turns to clean home plate off, but instead cleans the batters box where he thought the ball was and asked if it was better for me now!!!

Single most funniest thing I have seen a blue do my entire life. I love it when they have a sense of humor. He said he loved that it was all in fun and just had to do it.
Sftbll4ever

by Gone in 2.6 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Sam wrote:We were playing 1st year 14U, playing at a tournament I believe. DD is pitching. We get the final out of the inning and DD sprints into the dugout, approaches me..."I've got to pee really bad." I tell her sorry, but she's going to have to wait until after she hits because she is leading off this inning. She's mad, but she goes up to hit....she's miserable....the pitcher gets ahead 1-2....and my DD proceeds to foul off the next 12 pitches....hopping up and down with a grimace on her face as she tries not to embarass herself in front of God and everybody...she doubles on the next pitch....and before I can say "Blue can I get a runner for my pitcher"....she is already gone....in the bathroom. Blue smiled and told me to get my runner out there.

Don't have to any funny stories about my dd since she's a flippin red a** on the field so Sam's story counts as the funniest moment since we were the opposing team. She left a vapor trail flying to the restroom! It really was a classic moment.

I think Sam's team was 16u though. But he's getting a little older so senility is quite normal.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Sam » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Gone in 2.6 wrote:
Sam wrote:We were playing 1st year 14U, playing at a tournament I believe. DD is pitching. We get the final out of the inning and DD sprints into the dugout, approaches me..."I've got to pee really bad." I tell her sorry, but she's going to have to wait until after she hits because she is leading off this inning. She's mad, but she goes up to hit....she's miserable....the pitcher gets ahead 1-2....and my DD proceeds to foul off the next 12 pitches....hopping up and down with a grimace on her face as she tries not to embarass herself in front of God and everybody...she doubles on the next pitch....and before I can say "Blue can I get a runner for my pitcher"....she is already gone....in the bathroom. Blue smiled and told me to get my runner out there.

Don't have to any funny stories about my dd since she's a flippin red a** on the field so Sam's story counts as the funniest moment since we were the opposing team. She left a vapor trail flying to the restroom! It really was a classic moment.

I think Sam's team was 16u though. But he's getting a little older so senility is quite normal.

I think you're right...its not senility, though.....drugs....can't get enough of them...
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 2bucketdad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:07 pm

DonnieS wrote:>> the darling little blonde pitcher replies "OH, did we win?" <<

We have to remember that not everyone is as intense as we are or as our hard core kids are - and just enjoy their reactions.

The little blonde is as hard as they come, just extreemely blonde at times.
2bucketdad

by coolstuff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:10 am

Not sure if this is best or funniest or boring but this is something I will always remember about DD.

DD was in 2nd grade and in her third year of PIxie rec-ball. She had pretty good swing mechanics and was able to hit the ball well from the pitching machine (no live arm in Pixies). She was also already showing her natural speed.

DD was the lead-off hitter. Most times, she hit a line drive or a hard grounder into the outfield. Now, we're talking about 2nd graders so it took a little time for the outfielders to wake up and get to the ball. By the time an outfielder had the ball in her hand, DD was already past 1st. The throw to second rarely made it and rolled on the ground to 4 and 6 who were congregated by the base, watching DD round second. One of the fielders would try to make the throw to third, which would be high, wide or dropped by 5. Usually she made it home standing up, or she slid and 2 couldn't handle the throw or make the tag. We always told her she hit a home run. Hey, it was Pixies rec ball, who cares if it was really a home run or not.

The looks on the opposing players' faces were priceless. The first batter up, a run scored, and at least two errors committed. They were completely demoralized.

I remember this because it happened so many times that year, and DD's team won every game.
coolstuff

by jofus » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:14 am

Last year my DD's LL team was practicing on a field that had room to spare in right field, but there was a parking lot on the left field side (our little league has lots of teams and 2 official fields, so teams practice where they can). Down the line was probably 150ish feet to the parking lot, if that. I had practice with my boy, so I dropped my DD off and my wife was coming a little later to pick her up.

When I dropped her off, there was a boy's bb team out in right field practicing, sharing the field, which was fine. However, some of the bb parents were parked next to the field in center field, maybe 180-190ish feet from home. I told one of our softball parents that they may not want to park there, and was told that they had mentioned that to them and they weren't worried.....

So, later that evening, when I get home, my wife tells me "well, your daughter busted a windshield this evening". I said "so, she hit one of those cars parked in center field, eh?"
"No" she said, "she cleared the front row and hit a car parked behind them". It was one of the bb coachs' cars, and his wife was sitting in it napping when the softball hit the windshield dead center :D

At least he wasn't mad about it, he said he was just glad no one got hurt, and that he wished he could have whoever that girl was on his baseball team, cause none of his boys could hit a ball like that :)

My DD was still a little upset about it though.
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by dustyshoes » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:35 am

coolstuff wrote:DD was the lead-off hitter. Most times, she hit a line drive or a hard grounder into the outfield. Now, we're talking about 2nd graders so it took a little time for the outfielders to wake up and get to the ball. By the time an outfielder had the ball in her hand, DD was already past 1st. The throw to second rarely made it and rolled on the ground to 4 and 6 who were congregated by the base, watching DD round second. One of the fielders would try to make the throw to third, which would be high, wide or dropped by 5. Usually she made it home standing up, or she slid and 2 couldn't handle the throw or make the tag. We always told her she hit a home run. Hey, it was Pixies rec ball, who cares if it was really a home run or not.

That's what usually happened to us defensively, fortunately league rules only allowed one base per passed ball.

There was this time when the other teams batter made a swinging bunt that dribbled down the third base line and our catcher picked up in fair territory. An unforced runner from 3rd came running towards home and literally stopped right in front of our catcher. For what seemed like an eternity, we're yelling at our catcher to simply reach out and touch the kid with the ball while the other coaches are screaming at their kid to run back to third. Naturally, their kid gets the message first and ran back to third while our catcher just stood there looking completely lost.

In our league coaches would stand in short left and right field to help kids with defensive instructions. As I was standing in short left field after this play, I felt a tug on my jersey as the center fielder had come over to tell me something. "I just heard coach Joe (coach in RF) say the F word."

Despite our horrible coaching and 0-fer season, just about every kid signed up again for the next season still play together to this day. At least we got that part right somehow.
dustyshoes

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions