Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Top tournaments rank them

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:29 am

What are the top tourneys in the country. Not showcases something with a bracket. Name the age group too. I'll start

PGF NATIONALS

TCS NATIONALS

CO. BOULDER

CO. AURORA

14u

Aprils Finest Sponsored by the one n only HEYBUCKET
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by socalchoppers02 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 pm

For us in 12U it was PGF Nationals, TCS Memorial Day Classic, TCS April's Finest, though I wish all the teams had been in one location, and the USA Elite Select World Championships in Orlando, FL. All were extremely competitive and we were able to play teams outside Cali that we would never get to play normally.
socalchoppers02

by Hurricane » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:41 pm

A trip to Orlando, FL ? That must have been a costly road trip! :mrgreen:

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but - did the value of playing teams you normally don't play outweigh the expense of the Florida trip?
Hurricane

by Tyler Durden » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:10 am

Hurricane wrote:A trip to Orlando, FL ? That must have been a costly road trip! :mrgreen:

I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but - did the value of playing teams you normally don't play outweigh the expense of the Florida trip?

Your input on these topics is always fantastic. Thank you so much for being a member of the HeyBucket community. Best wishes and have a wonderful day.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:59 am

Tyler Durden wrote:
Hurricane wrote:A trip to Orlando, FL ? That must have been a costly road trip! :mrgreen:

Your input on these topics is always fantastic. Thank you so much for being a member of the HeyBucket community. Best wishes and have a wonderful day.

It is a legitimate inquiry, TD, so I am not sure why you are so defensive - did I pick another scab? close to the truth? Are you one of the "big name organization" coaches that take their team on all of these trips across the USA and make the kids pay for your airfare and hotel to just play a few games against teams that "you normally wouldn't get the chance to play" ?

Come on, now. There's nothing wrong with me making a comment that many parents I know say under their breath but are afraid to bring up to the coach/organization because their DD might not get any playing time while on the trip. (This has happened to some girls/parents, too).

BTW.....Why are you always so negative, TD? You seem to take all of my comments so personally that I do think you have a problem with opposing points of view. Ah, that's it. You're one of those Democrats, er.....I mean, Leftist Liberals who can't debate issues but try to kill the messenger.

OK, flame away big guy.
Hurricane

by UmpSteve » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:10 am

I wonder how it compares in cost to the expectation that teams from Florida and Georgia will gratefully and excitedly jump to travel in the opposite direction to SoCal??
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:09 pm

good point, Ump.

OK, let me clarify my inquiry: I was referring to cross-country trips to play regular tournaments and/or friendlies - not for National Championships. Of course - if the ASA Nationals are in Florida, then you are planning almost a year in advance for that trip to win a National Championship. I'm sure the Texas and Florida teams plan the same way. However, with all of the competitive TB teams that are out here in the West (California, Arizona, etc.) it's difficult to justify making a trip to Florida for 12-15 year old girls.

I should've prefaced my comment with the caveat that if it's once in a few years type of trip and the only trip of the season, then I'm fine with it. However, in my experience (and my friend's experience) it happens almost every season (once in Fall and once in Spring) where the team schedules many out of state events that are just too much. For example, one team (big name organization) went to Florida (Thursday - Sunday) in the fall and the girls had to miss school, then the next weekend went to Arizona for a tournament. It's a bit much for Fall ball. But, the fear of retaliation against their DD lingers in the minds of parents lest they complain too much. After all, it is ONE OF the MANY teams in a "big name organization" and that "college scholarship" is just around the corner you know.

I don't know if it's the team preying on the dreams of parents or just taking advantage of the constant flow of money into the organization. However, as a counterpoint to TD's constant whining, it is indeed a germane topic for discussion on Hey Bucket.
Hurricane

by socalchoppers02 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 pm

The tournament in Florida was well worth it. It was an invite only tourney where none of the teams had to pay an entry fee. We had planned to make this trip instead of Colorado since our girls will be there for the next six years. By winning the championship, the girls got to play on ESPN 3, have a ton of interaction with the players from the USSSA Pride and they get genuine championship rings from Jostens. All of the girls flights, Disneyworld tix and majority of the hotel bill was paid for through various fundraisers that we had. In all I think 8 or 9 of the teams we played were in PGF Nationals. Something different and a once in a lifetime experience. Not offended by the inquiry at all as we have become kind of spoiled to not have to travel outside California to face good teams.
socalchoppers02

by as the world turns » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:15 pm

PGF, TCS, USSSA offer so much more, wait, those other guys offer that Olympic thing :lol: and the parade of umpires :lol:
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by Hurricane » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:48 pm

LOL

Gotta love the Parade of the Umpires!
Hurricane

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions