Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Regional Differences?

What's on your mind?

by MTR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:48 pm

jblabs wrote:Maybe I am just not noticing the NSA ones outnumber the ASA tournaments. I do know our best competition comes at ASA qualifiers and the like.

Just out of curiousity, why would one think that holding more tournaments is a sign of one being "better" than the other?
MTR

by jblabs » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:32 pm

You got me.
jblabs

by Gone in 2.6 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:00 am

coolstuff wrote:Yep, I've heard that the college coaches go to ASA. DD is on a 14U team and I've been told by knowledgeable sources that college coaches don't watch 14U teams at ASA tournaments. So at that age level playing ASA or NSA doesn't make much difference (and we've played both and I don't seen much difference in competition - except the blues are better in ASA). One experienced coach told me that the 14U level is the "last chance to have fun." because after that it becomes "a job" because of the effort needed to get noticed by college coaches.

It's pretty tough to step up to ASA Nationals if you wait until 16's for your first time. And ever getting to Gold nationals taking that route is probably slim and none (this is relevant because 18a is a recruiting ghost town).

Of course there is plenty of scouting at the Colorado tournaments (Boulder & Aurora). However the colleges traditionally flock to the teams that have a good track record at ASA Nationals.

It all depends on the goals of the player. This is a very individual thing. If they aspire to go to a small school with tough academics like Sacred Heart, University of San Diego or even LMU (and there's also DII, DIII or NAIA), it's not as imperative to go the ASA route. If the player dreams of suiting up for a top 25 power while getting her degree, I'd recommend that player start going to ASA Nationals no later than young 14's. Older 12's is good if you're already playing travel and on a serious team.

The experience from those years will help the player attain the skill level AND poise to help them win a spot on a top notch 16u and or 18 Gold team to hopefully get on the "good fields" when it gets serious.

Just my experience.
Last edited by Gone in 2.6 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 am

My experience has been my kid has yet to go to nationals of any kind, at any age, but she has been seen by dozens of D1 schools at exposure tournaments. Schools from the PAC-10, Big-10, etc. She has obviously not played for any powerhouse or even above average (for SoCal) team. She has played in the Colorado showcases on non-main fields and various showcases in Orange County. Nationals is one tournament that offers coaches the opportunity to see many talented kids. Do any college coaches scout at only one tournament each year? Stupid question. No matter what region you live in, play in the major exposure tournaments and do the normal corresponding with the college coaches and your kid will have ample opportunity to demonstrate their abilities to D1 schools from across the nation. At the end of the day, in terms of getting your kid seen, ASA, PDQ, MIC KEY MOUSE, whatever, nationals are for the parent's and coaches egos. They are not integral to the college recruiting process. I know. Blasphemy.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:24 pm

Some great points and information (as usual) BS. I'd maybe question the "ego" comment only because maybe one should actually attend one nationals before deciding if it is a worthile part of player development (playing in real pressure situations in front of college coaches as opposed to playing exposure tournament games whose outcome is largely unimportant to either team) or just an ego excercise for the adults.

There are coaches at the D1 level that DO care if their players compete at ASA nationals. Especially the top 25 type of programs (I've talked to a few and gotten it from the horses mouth). It goes back to the individual goals of the player in question and what school they want to go to. ASA isn't the only way but in many cases, it's the way that gives you the most options.

Getting on the "good fields" at the exposure tournaments, while not necessary to be seen, does make it less of an uphill battle and can be the difference of being seen by your dream school or not. And lets face it the "good fields" are often hogged by the teams with an ASA Nats track record. (Add to that that 16u Nationals has become of the best exposure tournaments in itself).

The player (and parents) should evaluate her goals and then decide what gives her the best chance to catch the eye of her ideal school or schools. This may or may not include playing on a team that competes annually at ASA Nationals.
Last edited by Gone in 2.6 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:51 pm

Gone in 2.6 wrote:Some great points and information (as usual) BS. I'd maybe question the "ego" comment only because maybe one should actually attend one nationals before deciding if it is a worthile part of player development (playing in real pressure situations in front of college coaches as opposed to playing exposure tournament games whose outcome is largely unimportant to either team) or just an ego excercise for the adults.

There are coaches at the D1 level that DO care if their players compete at ASA nationals. Especially the top 25 type of programs (I've talked to a few and gotten it from the horses mouth). It goes back to the individual goals of the player in question and what school they want to go to. ASA isn't the only way but in many cases, it's the way that gives you the most options.

Your point about my ignorance of nationals is well taken. Can't argue with that. I suppose I was just jumping at the opportunity to take yet another shot at my biggest pet peeve WRT youth sports. As for player development, I doubt it will have an impact on my kid next summer when she will likely play at nationals. Having college coaches watch her for the first time a couple years ago didn't affect her at all. She told me she doesn't think about them during a game. All she wants to do is help her team win. She wants to do her best in every game she plays and has always put herself under more pressure to succeed than any coach or situation could put her under. That being said, there are certainly tons of kids who benefit from the experience. I just doubt my kid is among them.

I also won't argue that there are some college coaches who care about nationals participation. I suspect there are few universal beliefs that they all share. Some probably watch player videos and some probably don't, for instance. I will only say that in communications with, among others, 2 PAC-10 and 2 Big-10 coaches (a couple in the recently posted top 25 list), the concern was not about playing in nationals but in getting experience hitting against the best pitching possible, as often as possible. In SoCal, that may be easier to accomplish than in other regions where nationals may provide a less common opportunity to face numerous high level pitchers.

And now to once again flaunt my ignorance, are showcases ASA? Are there any big showcases that aren't affiliated with ASA?

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions