Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Travel Ball vs School Ball

What's on your mind?

by Redhotz » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:55 am

This is what I tell my Travel ball players parents, you had better make school ball fun because if you don't you will go crazy. With the different types of talent that will be on the team. It didn't take me long to see the different. My daughter was in the 6th grade (middle school 6-8)she had 10 strike outs in one game and never recorded an out (catcher drop the 3rd strike) she half slides into 2nd base and broke her foot, I asked her why she did that and she said" I didn't want to hurt her".I have even had the head coach tell me at practice not to hit the ball so hard. So what are you to do but laugh and have the best fun as you can.......Redhotz coach
Redhotz

by It's me! » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:15 am

Understand your frustration…. My DD is a tall girl 5’8” & about 145 lbs. She was told to slide in carefully (2 seasons ago) . Once at a game DD was yelled at because she slid at home and took the catcher with her. What had happen was DD hit a HR ball still in out field about to come in and the catcher was blocking the plate. No one was hurt but DD was yelled at by the coach in front of everyone during the game. At the end of the game DD apologized to the girl (catcher) was very rude about it. DD cried about it on the drive home.
It's me!

by watcher » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:11 pm

Just enjoy it for what it is, If you get all wound up over it you will get an ulser, And one more thing, When you come into the catchers house, Come in hard or she will hurt you.
watcher

by Spirit1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:13 pm

Where are you guys playing, in Alaska where the talent is so slim.
Spirit1

by It's me! » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:30 pm

Yes :!: it was a fun season because DD had good friends on the team. She was only 12 and it was a learning lesson on how to deal with situations like that. Just wanted to share our experience. No Spirit 1, it was not in Alaska. Actually it was in San Diego (don’t want to give teams names out).
It's me!

by frogs_mom_15 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:06 pm

I am in the same general area as RedHotz coach, rual middle TN :shock: , and while the talent isn't slim, it is not a hotbed either. You maybe have four girls that have played at a higher level then rec. In other counties, you have a team full of travel players, those girls, and parents, choose to drive the hour or two to other major cities and improve to the highest level. When you get to the Knox/Nash areas, they have enormous talent on their HS teams. States is a huge event for girls softball and a great place to watch some great ball. The HS DD will be going to (opened in Aug. 06) went to states their very first yr. Many travel ball players on that team.
You learn to deal with the slower pace of the game when dealing with so so players. DD played for her elem school from 5th to 8th grade. (no jr high or middle school in this county) She had to slow some parts of her game down at times, but not much. Only when throwing to some of the other girls did I ever see her hold back. Sit back, watch, and enjoy seeing your DD have a great time with her friends. :D
It's only a little skin, it'll grow back!

Frog gettin' the sign
frogs_mom_15

by NO FEAR » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:10 am

It's me! wrote:Understand your frustration…. My DD is a tall girl 5’8” & about 145 lbs. She was told to slide in carefully (2 seasons ago) . Once at a game DD was yelled at because she slid at home and took the catcher with her. What had happen was DD hit a HR ball still in out field about to come in and the catcher was blocking the plate. No one was hurt but DD was yelled at by the coach in front of everyone during the game. At the end of the game DD apologized to the girl (catcher) was very rude about it. DD cried about it on the drive home.

OOOO POOR DD :cry:
NO FEAR

by Redhotz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:08 am

No Fear: Sounds to me you must have gotten bored over at eteamz, or kicked off. Maybe your just passing by!!!!!
Redhotz

by holly#1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:00 pm

It's unfair to even try and compare the two. Most H.S.s only have about 50% of their players that even play travel ball.
holly#1

by Kat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:58 pm

holly#1 wrote:It's unfair to even try and compare the two. Most H.S.s only have about 50% of their players that even play travel ball.

I cant tell you how we compare to say the top teams in CA but we are lucky to have a pretty good high school league. On our team we have the following players that will make the Varsity team. Not sure about who will be let go of the upper classman as we do have upper classman who have limited skill and who will make the team from the younger players.

2 - play gold (catcher, pitcher and the other middle infielder)
2 - play 18A (outfield and the other middle infielder)
2 - quit playing during 18A (first base and outfield)
3 - play 16A (middle infield, 3rd, the other catcher, 3rd base and the other middle infielder, pitcher)
1 - plays 16A/18 gold (pitcher, 1st base)

We have 2 catchers, and 3 pitchers.
Kat

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions