Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

ABOUT VERBAL COMMITMENT

What's on your mind?

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:03 am

Just remember there IS a possible down side to waiting. A coach at a school my kid really wanted to go to said he lost track of her and by the time he happened to see her again he had no money left for her freshman year. That wasn't because of us waiting but it shows that there isn't an infinite amount of money. Waiting runs the risk that when you decide to choose a school there may not be any money left there and the kid is forced to go elsewhere. Or Mommy/Daddy have to pay tens of thousands of $$.

Just describing the other side of the coin.

Squirrel's Advocate
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:Just remember there IS a possible down side to waiting. A coach at a school my kid really wanted to go to said he lost track of her and by the time he happened to see her again he had no money left for her freshman year. That wasn't because of us waiting but it shows that there isn't an infinite amount of money. Waiting runs the risk that when you decide to choose a school there may not be any money left there and the kid is forced to go elsewhere. Or Mommy/Daddy have to pay tens of thousands of $$.

Squirrel's Advocate

Damn your rodent logic, Squirrel! :mrgreen:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Money is a fluid situation. They can find the money if they really want you - I seriously doubt UF or Stanford put money aside to sign Barnhill last year. Money also frees up unexpectedly from player departures (e.g. drop out, transfer).
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:Just remember there IS a possible down side to waiting. A coach at a school my kid really wanted to go to said he lost track of her and by the time he happened to see her again he had no money left for her freshman year. That wasn't because of us waiting but it shows that there isn't an infinite amount of money. Waiting runs the risk that when you decide to choose a school there may not be any money left there and the kid is forced to go elsewhere. Or Mommy/Daddy have to pay tens of thousands of $$.

Squirrel's Advocate

It is ok, if you feel like time is short to accept the offer. Then just do not say much. To me this left the door open for other coaches to at least inquire about your status. I was impressed with how many coaches inquired after we had committed.

It was not our intention to leave the door open. We were extremely happy with the school that choose us, and still very much extremely happy. We were just tired of the commitment roller coaster. So just let a few close friends know, and did not worry to much about outside that group.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tyler Durden » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:59 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:

Squirrel's Advocate

It is ok, if you feel like time is short to accept the offer. Then just do not say much. To me this left the door open for other coaches to at least inquire about your status. I was impressed with how many coaches inquired after we had committed.

It was not our intention to leave the door open. We were extremely happy with the school that choose us, and still very much extremely happy. We were just tired of the commitment roller coaster. So just let a few close friends know, and did not worry to much about outside that group.

If I follow your sage advice, then I'm precluded from donning full 'College-Team' gear during 14U pool play and prancing around the entire Wheatfield complex on my Victory Lap. That hurts.
VETERANS....ALL GAVE SOME, SOME GAVE ALL
Tyler Durden
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:56 am

MTR

by DonnieS » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:22 pm

MTR wrote:http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/eligibility-center/what-verbal-commitment

Wow, thanks so much for that very helpful link. :roll:
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions