Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

ABOUT VERBAL COMMITMENT

What's on your mind?

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Pale Rider wrote:By 4th grade or they're losers... 8-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:05 pm

a.n.t.farm wrote:Given the opportunity…..
~ Should a player commit before her first year in high school or wait till the freshmen year is over ?
wondering if is a good idea to have one HS year under the belt...before making a decision.

Questions: Is this the school of her choice? Is the offer good? Can you do better?
They do change coaches quite a bit in the DI level due to the money factor involved. and success of program.
Which means you kid is off the market during this time.

With that said,,in my dd's case. She was pursued as a junior, got offers Fall of senior year, used the best offer as a tool to negotiate with the school she wanted and having them match that offer.
The best of luck and success to your kid.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Quietly announce a verbal gives you the best of both worlds. You have the commitment from school. You have not fully taken yourself off the market. You have left yourself maximum flexibility.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:14 pm

[quote="AlwaysImprove"Quietly announce] a verbal gives you the best of both worlds. You have the commitment from school. You have not fully taken yourself off the market. You have left yourself maximum flexibility.[/quote]

What does that mean?
B34R DOWN

by AlwaysImprove » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:34 pm

B34R DOWN wrote:[quote="AlwaysImprove"Quietly announce] a verbal gives you the best of both worlds. You have the commitment from school. You have not fully taken yourself off the market. You have left yourself maximum flexibility.

What does that mean?[/quote]
Tell a few close friends. No press release, talk to the papers. If a select coach insists he can post it on his team/org website.

Trust me, it will spread around the park just fine. Everyone except the 2 or 3 friends will have heard it second hand. You are now more free to change your mind.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MavFan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:51 am

Until the coach you said yes to, learns you are looking around and pulls the deal. The average player doesn't have that much leverage. And the softball world, as you alluded to, is small. Word will get back to the coach you verballed to. Then your kid is put in a position to be less than honest. Which of course, is a brilliant way to begin a relationship. Brilliant!
MavFan

by jonriv » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:09 am

MavFan wrote:Until the coach you said yes to, learns you are looking around and pulls the deal. The average player doesn't have that much leverage. And the softball world, as you alluded to, is small. Word will get back to the coach you verballed to. Then your kid is put in a position to be less than honest. Which of course, is a brilliant way to begin a relationship. Brilliant!

Which is the problem with the Early Verbal process- ALL the leverage is with the coach
jonriv

by Blind Squirrel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am

I'm sure some things have changed since my kid was an early verbal. I don't normally post about recruiting because of that. But I have some time so ...

1. Recruits do have some leverage. My kid had multiple schools that wanted her to verbal. UCLA, Arizona, Washington and many others didn't have the slightest interest. None of the coaches that wanted her had an ounce of power as to which school she would choose. After she verballed the coach could have decided to not offer any scholly or offer a reduced % before she signed the NLI. At the same time my kid could have changed her mind and accepted an offer elsewhere. The same applied to my son who only had a couple D1 offers.

2. Things can change. The coach that she verballed to was replaced the summer before she started college. When she heard it did not change her desire to go there one bit. The coach did not change or kill her scholly amount. One thing to consider is the chances that a new coach is going to find a better recruit in 3 months, in 1 year, etc. It absolutely happens that sometimes new coaches change offers in order to get their new recruits. But depending on the timeframe and the playing ability of the inherited recruits it might just not be possible to find uncommitted kids with more ability.

3. "Once my kid verbals she has made a commitment and she will honor that commitment and not go back on her word. She needs to be honorable." I agree with that in theory. What I don't believe is allowing reasoned, isolated deviations from the ideal will ensure my kid will suddenly think it's okay to act dishonorably. One act rarely overshadows the affects of years of upbringing. What I hope is that my kid routinely acts in a certain way but also makes informed choices. I detest liars but there have certainly been times when I decided to lie. I still consider myself to be unusually honest, particularly when it involves personal responsibility. Like when I tell a policeman "I only had a couple beers" - oh wait. Bad example.

Fire away Gridleys. Please use small arms only so others get a chance.

Cranially Constipated Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:30 pm

MavFan wrote:Until the coach you said yes to, learns you are looking around and pulls the deal. The average player doesn't have that much leverage. And the softball world, as you alluded to, is small. Word will get back to the coach you verballed to. Then your kid is put in a position to be less than honest. Which of course, is a brilliant way to begin a relationship. Brilliant!

If the coach was signing a binding agreement with her/us, they would receive binding commitment in return. They are not. They are giving you a soft verbal.

As has been shown here on numerous occasions that verbal can become very soft at time.

They are counting on you removing yourself from the market. At which point everyone stops recruiting you.

I am not saying that you grab the verbal and start immediately turn around and start pimping for a better deal. But, if your kid is a 8th grader or freshman, no reason not to leave some options.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:26 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:If the coach was signing a binding agreement with her/us, they would receive binding commitment in return. They are not. They are giving you a soft verbal.

As has been shown here on numerous occasions that verbal can become very soft at time.

We need to be careful about our terminology. I can understand saying a verbal is soft because it isn't binding, but a "soft verbal" is even less so. I've heard SEC softball coaches have come out and declared all early verbals are soft (either side can back out for any reason - no fault) and firm up when they're a junior (i.e. expected to result in a binding NLI).

I am not saying that you grab the verbal and start immediately turn around and start pimping for a better deal. But, if your kid is a 8th grader or freshman, no reason not to leave some options.

I understand keeping the verbal on the downlow by not publicizing it. I expect the player also stops reaching out to other schools. How do you handle the following?

- College coach asks why profile doesn't show committed to their school. "We're just using up the sheets we had printed. It will be on the next batch." Do you update it?

- What do you say when another college expresses interest in her - do you mention she has already committed? We're taking back-up offers? What if it is a friend of the coach testing the commitment for them?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions