Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Tales of Colorado

What's on your mind?

by crashsdaddy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:05 am

There's probably some level of truth in everyone's opinion but this is my observation. At IDT, we played in one complex the whole week and there were lots of coaches. At fireworks, we played in 5 different complexes and the coaches were nearly non existent.

Did the girls do their leg work and contact coaches? We told them to but who knows? What I do know thought is that it's highly unlikely that ALL of the teams at Fireworks failed to do their leg work while ALL of the teams at IDT did. The coaches we saw at IDT were going all over the complex watching lots of games while at Fireworks they weren't there watching anyone's games. Also, the quality of the teams we faced at IDT were not any better than what we faced at Fireworks.

So it's not a contacting issue and it's not a quality of games issue. What's that leave?
crashsdaddy

by as the world turns » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:00 pm

Maybe it could be that there are now too many travel teams out there, probably 100 - 200% more than just 5-10 years ago, but the number of colleges have remained the same, they can only stretch themselves so far and will probably not make it to the overflow, remote fields. Just a harsh reality.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Actually the number of colleges with softball has gone down
jonriv

by jonriv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:28 am

This is what happens when you contact the coach beforehand. This is DD's (then future, now former College) Coach talking to her TB coach many, many years ago at the Tradition Showcase in Meriden, CT(I know, a far way from Colorado)during the game! This picture was cropped from a larger photo a friend sent( I was not there yet) This was the fifth time he came to see her play(twice we did not know) and was one of seven coaches that purposely came to see her play that showcase.

Active and personal contact pays off!! Also soul searching as mentioned before- keep your options open. Not everyone will be going to play SEC or Pac12 or even DI for that matter. Be realistic and broad with your potential opportunities.
Attachments
dave&tom.jpg
dave&tom.jpg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
jonriv

by PuraVida » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:21 am

jonriv wrote:
We agree on the recruiting process from a player prospective. However, your implication that coaches were not at their game is due to their recruiting process or lack thereof is BS. Logistic and the coaches’ time constraint are a huge factor in CO. If you are not in the main fields in SP or FW, CO is a waste of money.

To simply put this on the player as not doing what they need to do is BS and a copout.

There always seems to be a leaning to paint things either black or white, when gray is usually the suitable color. I completely understand the logistical issues presented by Colorado and the tendency of coaches to congregate. I am sure this plays a major role in coach attendance. I also know that the complaints voiced here are the same complaints I have heard for years(coaches only at Main fields, favoritism to certain teams, no coaches etc..... I have heard it about showcases large and small( Rising Stars, Pennsbury, Devens, Tradition...etc..) The sizes and field separation are all different, but the complaints are the same. In my experience the only common thread is that those who complained did not do the pre-work and legwork required. This was in EVERY case. My DD was a guest player for a Gold team down in Rising Stars in Florida several years back. Every coach she contacted showed up to see her, she had 6 times the coaches come to see her than all the rest of the team she played for combined. Not because she was any better, but she had take the time to contact coaches, give them her info-fields, team, number and had also filled out the Prospect Questionnaire at the school's website. No you can continue to whine about field location and "waste of money", but my only point is that any showcase is a waste of money if you don't do the pre-work.

Pure Speculation on your part without any first-hand knowledge of CO nor data to back up your statement.

Here are some first-hand accountings of CO and FP/TB statistic.

“We play in the Louisville Bracket in the IDT. That's the smaller bracket trying to get in the big show in Boulder. This was the second year in a row that we ran out of team profiles the first day and had to get to a printer (twice during the tournament) to restock. We had over 100 coaches for the week stop by our games and take a profile. When we were in the Sparkler/Fireworks we were lucky to see 3 or 4. In Louisville we see all levels of Schools”

“At IDT, we played in one complex the whole week and there were lots of coaches. At fireworks, we played in 5 different complexes and the coaches were nearly non existent.

Did the girls do their leg work and contact coaches? We told them to but who knows? What I do know thought is that it's highly unlikely that ALL of the teams at Fireworks failed to do their leg work while ALL of the teams at IDT did. Also, the quality of the teams we faced at IDT were not any better than what we faced at Fireworks.”

“now too many travel teams out there, probably 100 - 200% more than just 5-10 years ago, but the number of colleges have remained the same, they can only stretch themselves so far and will probably not make it to the overflow, remote fields”

[b]“Actually the number of colleges with softball has gone down”

[b]“The talent pool in SP/FW/IDT. Is comparable. There are some degrees at each end, however I would venture that 80% of those participant in these 3 events possess comparable skill set”.

This is not about players not doing their leg-work nor being realistic about their level of game. Recruiting is a business and coaches will apply business principles in their prospecting or loss their jobs.
PuraVida

by jonriv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:14 am

[quote]This is not about players not doing their leg-work nor being realistic about their level of game. Recruiting is a business and coaches will apply business principles in their prospecting or loss their jobs./quote]

If that is true- a warm lead is always better than cold calling. Coaches are usually targetting certain players(possibly teams) They generally are not trolling fields in search of a diamond in the rough or some player they have never heard about. Their time is limited (so is their budget) so they tend to use very targeted and focused recruiting. It may be speculation on my part, but it is based on a pretty broad experience base(albeit without Colorado) For years I have heard the same complaints over and over from big showcases to tiny ones and the common denominator has always been player pre-contact with coaches. If you don't think Colorado is worth it, or perhaps only worth it for big teams-don't go. My experience has been that showcases are only as good as you make them.
jonriv

by PuraVida » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:02 pm

jonriv wrote:
This is not about players not doing their leg-work nor being realistic about their level of game. Recruiting is a business and coaches will apply business principles in their prospecting or loss their jobs./quote]

If that is true- a warm lead is always better than cold calling. Coaches are usually targetting certain players(possibly teams) They generally are not trolling fields in search of a diamond in the rough or some player they have never heard about. Their time is limited (so is their budget) so they tend to use very targeted and focused recruiting. It may be speculation on my part, but it is based on a pretty broad experience base(albeit without Colorado) For years I have heard the same complaints over and over from big showcases to tiny ones and the common denominator has always been player pre-contact with coaches. If you don't think Colorado is worth it, or perhaps only worth it for big teams-don't go. My experience has been that showcases are only as good as you make them.

WOW you are dense

The art of collage recruiting from the players/family prospective has evolved by leaps and bounds.
I have not meat one family that was not doing everything they could to make this work for them.
There are seminars, team clinic and an extensive number of recruiting services. Some better than other, this is a buyer beware kind of thing.

Let me connect the dots for you.
In CO, IDT LV and Boulder are excellent. SP & FW are a waste of money if you are not on the main field. Very little difference in level of play in IDT-LV, Sp & Fw. What makes ITD is that all the games are on one Field. This does not mean a player can just show up and be discovered. One more time, coaches already know who they’re there to see. The have a well laid out business plan. No surprises. Their dilemma is recognizing that they may not get to all of the player on their list due to time constraints. This by no mean is this any indication that they are not interest in a player that is in some satellite field in the SP or FW and certainly not indicative of a player not doing their leg work. CO is not the only event and if they are interested they will catch up the next event. After all when a player makes contact, one of the most basic piece of information you provide the coach is your schedule.

“If you don't think Colorado is worth it, or perhaps only worth it for big teams-don't go”
Typical asinine response
This is not about me or my dd. We are a private family and do not share her stories on a public blog.
PuraVida

by jonriv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:23 pm

A couple of bits of advice:

1) Try spell check(ie collage, meat etc....)

2) Thinly disquised attacks on me
This is not about me or my dd. We are a private family and do not share her stories on a public blog./quote] are kind of weak. I use these stories to show how and what I base my thoughts on. To show that the are derived from reality and not just rumor an inuendo.

3) Dense- perhaps a glance in the mirror is in order? I simply present an alternative idea(based on experience) that you seem to reject whole heartedly. I never disagreed that distance and logistics play a role, but I do suggest that they are not the only reason[quote"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."[/quote]

My daughter was not a blue chip player. She was a very good player and a top notch self-promoter/communicator. I think sometimes through sheer will and persistance she got coaches to come see her play. This was often at the same time parents of teammates were complaining about "lack of coaches" and "waste of time" PuraVida, believe what you want, but only a fool does not take in consideration different ideas.
jonriv

by PDad » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:55 pm

jonriv wrote:Actually the number of colleges with softball has gone down

Do you have some data to back that up? I seriously doubt there has been a significant drop in the combined number for all NCAA and NAIA.

jonriv wrote:A couple of bits of advice:

1) Try spell check(ie collage, meat etc....)

LMAO The pot calling the kettle...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Off the top of my head Temple and Vermont have dropped softball in the past few years. I am certain there are more

As far as the kettle comment, who me..... :o
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions