Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Tales of Colorado

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:15 pm

jonriv wrote:I guess the question I have for those parents/players disappointed with the amount of coaches at their games is this: Did you contact any coaches beforehand to let them know where you would be, ... It used to always baffle me how parents would complain about coach attendance at a showcase while the the vast majority of coaches my DD contacted came to see her if they were at that Showcase. Do your homework, pre-work and legwork. Coaches will not know your DD is there unless she lets them know.

I agree it is important for players to contact coaches and participants shouldn't complain if they didn't do their part to draw coaches to their games, however this particular week in CO is nothing like anything you ever experienced. You shouldn't assume disappointed people didn't contact coaches because results are not guaranteed - especially that week in CO where coaches are inundated by players.

People that didn't draw coaches they contacted probably need to do some soul-searching about why the coaches didn't respond and make appropriate adjustments - including which schools they've targeted.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:29 pm

PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:I guess the question I have for those parents/players disappointed with the amount of coaches at their games is this: Did you contact any coaches beforehand to let them know where you would be, ... It used to always baffle me how parents would complain about coach attendance at a showcase while the the vast majority of coaches my DD contacted came to see her if they were at that Showcase. Do your homework, pre-work and legwork. Coaches will not know your DD is there unless she lets them know.

I agree it is important for players to contact coaches and participants shouldn't complain if they didn't do their part to draw coaches to their games, however this particular week in CO is nothing like anything you ever experienced. You shouldn't assume disappointed people didn't contact coaches because results are not guaranteed - especially that week in CO where coaches are inundated by players.

People that didn't draw coaches they contacted probably need to do some soul-searching about why the coaches didn't respond and make appropriate adjustments - including which schools they've targeted.

Fair enough. I only based it on my experience at showcases and from friends that attended Colorado. Pdad your soul searching comments are spot on.
jonriv

by PuraVida » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:00 pm

[quote.

People that didn't draw coaches they contacted probably need to do some soul-searching about why the coaches didn't respond and make appropriate adjustments - including which schools they've targeted.[/quote]

That is so mush BS
Coaches are business professional, and they handles player prospecting as such.
Basic business principles.
If a coach/buyer can see/get to 80% of their prospects at one location per age group/product. They are not going to scarifies 80% of their target to get to the other 20%. If you are not on the main field in your age group, CO is a waste of money.
PuraVida

by PDad » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:16 pm

PuraVida wrote:

That is so mush BS
If a coach/buyer can see/get to 80% of their prospects at one location per age group/product. They are not going to scarifies 80% of their target to get to the other 20%. If you are not on the main field in your age group, CO is a waste of money.

I agree CO is a waste of money for many/most people from a recruiting basis, however saying it is a waste of money unless "you are on the main field" is BS and a copout. Some coaches are rarely contacted by players at the prime sites/fields and also avoid them because the players there are only interested in schools that are major/mid D-I. So, those coaches go to other sites that offer the best prospects that are recruitable for their program. The ideal site is the one with multiple prospects of interest to a coach, regardless of whether it is the "main field" or a satellite site.

Part of the soul-searching is evaluating your marketing plan and execution. Simply robo-emailing the list of coaches attending won't yield much interest because they're buried in emails from players doing the same thing. Consequently, schools ignore the generic ones to avoid wasting their time on players that aren't familiar with them and may not really be interested in them. Players need to personalize their messages to stand out by both bringing themselves to life and showing a real interest that is specific to the program/school.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by coachbgb » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:32 pm

My 18u team played in the Sparkler/Fireworks for 5 years and has now played in the Boulder IDT for the last 4 years. We play in the Louisville Bracket in the IDT. That's the smaller bracket trying to get in the big show in Boulder. This was the second year in a row that we ran out of team profiles the first day and had to get to a printer (twice during the tournament) to restock. We had over 100 coaches for the week stop by our games and take a profile. When we were in the Sparkler/Fireworks we were lucky to see 3 or 4. In Louisville we see all levels of Schools from Michigan, Penn State to Mid Major D1's like Mississippi Valley State. Numerous DII schools and even many JC's from all over the country. As far as the recruiting goes there is no comparison. We also had great fun in the Sparkler/Fireworks. The problem there is it is spread out over numerous parks and it can be difficult for coaches to find you.
We have always loved to go to Colorado and the trip is our teams highlight of the summer every year. Its not just the recruiting. Every game we play is against someone from all corners of our great country and I know that our girls love that aspect of the trip. I as a coach also look forward to catching up with coaching friends that I see once or twice a year and actually sitting down and having softball discussions with college coaches I have worked with in the past. For that 1 week Colorado is the center of the softball world and I for one appreciate being part of it.

Bruce Blake
Sudden Impact Gold
So Cal
coachbgb
Premium Member
Premium Member

by McK2021 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:03 pm

BAM2 wrote:Having 2 girls playing in Colorado, 1 in the 14u Power Pool and 1 in the 18u IDT. I can say that their were colleges at both fields. Their was definitely more at the 14U Erie Fields, and We went to visit friends at a 16u Game and saw quiet a few there. At the 16u I know that the committed girls had there colleges supporting them and looking also.
14U Erie, I believe who was playing had a lot to do with who showed up and when. We were involved 2 big games and had 10 to 15 watching at each if not more, and when our game was complete, they turned around and was watching 2 other big teams/Org. We had friends on other teams in the power pool, which barely drew 1 or 2 coaches.
18u IDT, Saw quite a few, but i'm sure just checking up on their commits. I know for my 2 , they were there supporting, and they got the game times from coaches and us emailing game times.
Saturday was sparse, Sunday might have been 1 or 2, and we played in a final and semifinal games, in both divisions.

DD#1 was in the 16U regular pool. Her Wed. game at Olympic Park had about 10 to 15 coaches there. Tues DD#1 future college coach watched her whole game. He was also looking at a couple other girls on the team. DD#1 even got a nice E-mail from another school even though they knew she was verballed. I think some coaches just wander and some know exactly where they want to go and who they want to see. Does anyone know anyone who got an offer in CO.?
McK2021

by PuraVida » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:30 pm

PDad wrote:
PuraVida wrote:

That is so mush BS

I agree CO is a waste of money for many/most people from a recruiting basis, however saying it is a waste of money unless "you are on the main field" is BS and a copout. Some coaches are rarely contacted by players at the prime sites/fields and also avoid them because the players there are only interested in schools that are major/mid D-I. So, those coaches go to other sites that offer the best prospects that are recruitable for their program. The ideal site is the one with multiple prospects of interest to a coach, regardless of whether it is the "main field" or a satellite site.

Part of the soul-searching is evaluating your marketing plan and execution. Simply robo-emailing the list of coaches attending won't yield much interest because they're buried in emails from players doing the same thing. Consequently, schools ignore the generic ones to avoid wasting their time on players that aren't familiar with them and may not really be interested in them. Players need to personalize their messages to stand out by both bringing themselves to life and showing a real interest that is specific to the program/school.

Caches will go were 80% of their prospects are to be found. If 80% are at the satellite fields then that were they will be. This is based on prior research a well laid out plan. Nothing random no robo-emails

The talent pool in SP/FW/IDT. Is comparable. There are some degrees at each end, however I would venture that 80% of those participant in these 3 events possess comparable skill set. Maybe the power pools and possibly Bolder would fit in to your narrative. Thant is a very small piece of pie. IDT is a small venue in comparison to SP & FW and games are played on one location So that leaves SP/FW with one main field for each were a coach can see/prospect 80% of their database. So we are back to 80/20 quandary.

We agree on the recruiting process from a player prospective. However, your implication that coaches were not at their game is due to their recruiting process or lack thereof is BS. Logistic and the coaches’ time constraint are a huge factor in CO. If you are not in the main fields in SP or FW, CO is a waste of money.

To simply put this on the player as not doing what they need to do is BS and a copout.
PuraVida

by jonriv » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 am

We agree on the recruiting process from a player prospective. However, your implication that coaches were not at their game is due to their recruiting process or lack thereof is BS. Logistic and the coaches’ time constraint are a huge factor in CO. If you are not in the main fields in SP or FW, CO is a waste of money.

To simply put this on the player as not doing what they need to do is BS and a copout.

There always seems to be a leaning to paint things either black or white, when gray is usually the suitable color. I completely understand the logistical issues presented by Colorado and the tendency of coaches to congregate. I am sure this plays a major role in coach attendance. I also know that the complaints voiced here are the same complaints I have heard for years(coaches only at Main fields, favoritism to certain teams, no coaches etc..... I have heard it about showcases large and small( Rising Stars, Pennsbury, Devens, Tradition...etc..) The sizes and field separation are all different, but the complaints are the same. In my experience the only common thread is that those who complained did not do the pre-work and legwork required. This was in EVERY case. My DD was a guest player for a Gold team down in Rising Stars in Florida several years back. Every coach she contacted showed up to see her, she had 6 times the coaches come to see her than all the rest of the team she played for combined. Not because she was any better, but she had take the time to contact coaches, give them her info-fields, team, number and had also filled out the Prospect Questionnaire at the school's website. No you can continue to whine about field location and "waste of money", but my only point is that any showcase is a waste of money if you don't do the pre-work.
jonriv

by Mark H » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:41 am

Yep
Mark H

by DonnieS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:45 am

jonriv wrote:

There always seems to be a leaning to paint things either black or white, when gray is usually the suitable color. I completely understand the logistical issues presented by Colorado and the tendency of coaches to congregate. I am sure this plays a major role in coach attendance. I also know that the complaints voiced here are the same complaints I have heard for years(coaches only at Main fields, favoritism to certain teams, no coaches etc..... I have heard it about showcases large and small( Rising Stars, Pennsbury, Devens, Tradition...etc..) The sizes and field separation are all different, but the complaints are the same. In my experience the only common thread is that those who complained did not do the pre-work and legwork required. This was in EVERY case. My DD was a guest player for a Gold team down in Rising Stars in Florida several years back. Every coach she contacted showed up to see her, she had 6 times the coaches come to see her than all the rest of the team she played for combined. Not because she was any better, but she had take the time to contact coaches, give them her info-fields, team, number and had also filled out the Prospect Questionnaire at the school's website. No you can continue to whine about field location and "waste of money", but my only point is that any showcase is a waste of money if you don't do the pre-work.

I saw the same as JR with not just my girls but other kids that were looking to play. You have to do the contacts - and Colorado is certainly not the only place to go. One of my daughters never played there and the other was recovering from Mono when she went there her one time. A couple of coaches showed up to see her pitch , and she stunk it up in the game the coaches were there, and perfected a game where there were no coaches. One night at home, picked up the phone and called who we thought was her best choice of schools at the time, the coach answered , and she showed up at the next big tournament we played in Houston. Those sparkling miracle performances where a coach comes to see a team and a kid on the other team - has a stand out day - and gets offered on site - do happen, but in my experience I saw that that happen 1 time in the years we were involved. If you count on that, save your money and go buy lottery tickets. The other cases where the kids/parent made the contacts and over time, the coaches saw enough of the kid to see they had promise , etc. was the normal process of getting to play college ball. One of my kids had all the luck in the world of going yard when the coaches were looking and striking out when they werent, the other kid , couldnt catch a break, and I am glad, because she learned how life really works. She has a insane work ethic (for softball, ) and its because she knows how crazy it all is. And if you are on a team, that doesnt get the #1 or #2 fields, just make sure you make the contacts, and the coaches will walk by, sometimes walk, sometimes jog, the talent has to be there too.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions