Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Anyone Tired of the Money Grab with these Tournaments

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 pm

>> ="jonriv"]The school raising funds is more the rule than the exception. This is true even in D I <<<

No, its not the rule. Been around D1 a while, and havent come across it.
Last edited by DonnieS on Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:49 pm

Regarding the travel ball money grab, you arent kidding. The costs were really high and have now gotten , imo, out of hand.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PuraVida » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:24 pm

It’s more of a lack of quality and integrity than the cost of TB.
Lack of quality/integrity in: Coaching, TB club, TD & Fields. Someone equated it to buying a Ferrari and complaining about the cost. When you buy a Ferrari you expect a high level of quality and integrity. What we have in FP is the equivalent of used car salesman selling you a Ferrari only to find out you drove off with a pinto. By the time you realized what has happened you are at minimum a few months into it and playing in some crappy fields in CO so far from the main field, there are no coaches in sight.
At this point the gate fee would be the last of your concerns. As a matter of fact you would welcome the opportunity to go see your dd playing at a facility with a gate fee.
The open market has a way of cleansing its self of the unethical used car salesman mentality. TB will experience this open market principal in the near future.

If your budget only allows for the cost of a pinto (b level TB). Nothing wrong with that as long as the TB club, coach are upfront about the turny they can play in $$. If you & your dd did your jobs the coaches will come.
PuraVida

by lampho3 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:07 pm

PuraVida summed it up well!

We are all aware that there are expenses to pay. (fields, umpires etc)..nothing wrong with that.

But when they are making out like bandits, that is the problem. If I pay for a Ferrari, I want a Ferrari, not a Pinto. Right now we are getting a Pinto.

Just want a fair shake. That's all!
lampho3

by as the world turns » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:05 pm

lampho3 wrote: If I pay for a Ferrari, I want a Ferrari, not a Pinto. Right now we are getting a Pinto.

Who's fault is that?
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by as the world turns » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:11 pm

Solution, have your DD earn a spot on a top team in order for her to play on the best fields. The "No Name" teams do not get on the top fields - just the way it is.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:31 am

DonnieS wrote:>> ="jonriv"]The school raising funds is more the rule than the exception. This is true even in D I <<<

I know of at least five in this area that held camps(an other fundraisers) for the purpose of paying or defraying the costs of their spring training tour. Perhaps not the norm at the bigger schools, but a reality at many of the non-major programs
jonriv

by Pale Rider » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:15 am

...and right now its almsot like a Meth head Marathon tour
Always searching for the biggest rock and brightest lights.
And yes it is self inflicted...wholeheartedly agree

New 'orgs', claiming to be Champion this and Champion that...And claim they're the bestest 'ever'...and try market themselves as such.

Which only tends to water down each others things...

Gonna start one, the "Retired Dads D-1 Seeker Series"...ONLY $10K buy in, limited to first 100 teams...coming to a REC field near you...or at least on the same continent....I'm think west Texas in August...or in Death Valley ;)
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:33 am

jonriv wrote:
DonnieS wrote:>> ="jonriv"]The school raising funds is more the rule than the exception. This is true even in D I <<<

I know of at least five in this area that held camps(an other fundraisers) for the purpose of paying or defraying the costs of their spring training tour. Perhaps not the norm at the bigger schools, but a reality at many of the non-major programs

Most schools seem to have camps - I wasnt considering those - I know they have to be money makers but I figure a big part of those is to get kids they are interested in onto the campus so they can speak to them legally , NCAA wise I mean. What do you mean by "spring training tour"?

The kind of fund raisers I thought you were referring to is requiring the kids to sell spots on banners or ads on the fence , or sell so many raffle tickets, that kind of stuff.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PuraVida » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am

as the world turns wrote:Solution, have your DD earn a spot on a top team in order for her to play on the best fields. The "No Name" teams do not get on the top fields - just the way it is.

yea, like FC, BB, MG, SCA.

No use car salesman there, and they always play on the main fields. just check their postings :lol: :lol: :lol:
PuraVida

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions