Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitcher charged with assualt

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:35 am

Does thi incident qualify as "assault"? Probably by literal legal definition…, not sure if the actual incident warrants the DAs involvement. Scholl admin and disciplinary action… probably.

Generally law enforcemnt gives some leeway in the sports arena, the exception being when the act is beyond the sport itself.

My biggest issue here is the concept of players "policing" their own and using physical force and intimidation to do it. Besides being against most school's hazing policies, it IMO is an abdication of responsibility on the Coach's part. The concept of Full Metal Jacket "blanket party" or A Few Good Men "Code Red" might sound good- one has to remember that the results were three dead Marines, 2 courtmartialed marines(dishonorably discharged) and the ruining and potential court martialling of two Marine officers. Letting the inmates run the asylum is a huge cop-out.

The other issue I have is-what were they policing? The supposed "crime" was that she reported a coach for an alcohol rules violation. Who actually did something wrong here??? Why is the coach breaking the rules? Are not the players/students required at most schools to report rules/honor violations. Sam you would rather have mob rule??

As far as being sexist- most guys would not have the guts to report it. I think this young laday showed a lot of courage to not only get in that batters box, but report the incident. The cowards here are the pitcher and the coach involved
jonriv

by Sam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:55 am

jonriv wrote:Does thi incident qualify as "assault"? Probably by literal legal definition…, not sure if the actual incident warrants the DAs involvement. Scholl admin and disciplinary action… probably.

Generally law enforcemnt gives some leeway in the sports arena, the exception being when the act is beyond the sport itself.

My biggest issue here is the concept of players "policing" their own and using physical force and intimidation to do it. Besides being against most school's hazing policies, it IMO is an abdication of responsibility on the Coach's part. The concept of Full Metal Jacket "blanket party" or A Few Good Men "Code Red" might sound good- one has to remember that the results were three dead Marines, 2 courtmartialed marines(dishonorably discharged) and the ruining and potential court martialling of two Marine officers. Letting the inmates run the asylum is a huge cop-out.

The other issue I have is-what were they policing? The supposed "crime" was that she reported a coach for an alcohol rules violation. Who actually did something wrong here??? Why is the coach breaking the rules? Are not the players/students required at most schools to report rules/honor violations. Sam you would rather have mob rule??

As far as being sexist- most guys would not have the guts to report it. I think this young laday showed a lot of courage to not only get in that batters box, but report the incident. The cowards here are the pitcher and the coach involved

The alledged violation had nothing to do with this kid....yet she took it upon herself to report the coach. Nobody likes the Hall Monitor. Nobody likes being around a tattler. Did she expect her teammates to embrace her after her triumphant report of misdoings?

No. She got plunked on the shoulder. Message sent. Message received. Move on.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by rlblue82 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 am

AlwaysImprove wrote:Katelyn Burge intentionally hit teammate during batting practice. The batter was believed to have snitched on a coach for violating the universities alcohol policy. After hitting the batter, Katelyn said "That was for (the coach that was reported)".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/softball/2015/06/25/penn-state-altoona-softball-player-charged--hit-batter/29272953/
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4325414350001/can-your-kid-face-legal-trouble-for-little-league-pitching/?intcmp=watchnow#sp=show-clips

This is getting out of control. What happened to the days when people with differences just went out back and fought it out and that was the end of it?
rlblue82

by jonriv » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:26 am

rlblue82 wrote:
AlwaysImprove wrote:Katelyn Burge intentionally hit teammate during batting practice. The batter was believed to have snitched on a coach for violating the universities alcohol policy. After hitting the batter, Katelyn said "That was for (the coach that was reported)".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/softball/2015/06/25/penn-state-altoona-softball-player-charged--hit-batter/29272953/
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4325414350001/can-your-kid-face-legal-trouble-for-little-league-pitching/?intcmp=watchnow#sp=show-clips

This is getting out of control. What happened to the days when people with differences just went out back and fought it out and that was the end of it?

So your solution is two adults go out back and duke it out?
jonriv

by UmpSteve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:33 am

Sam wrote:The alledged violation had nothing to do with this kid....yet she took it upon herself to report the coach. Nobody likes the Hall Monitor. Nobody likes being around a tattler. Did she expect her teammates to embrace her after her triumphant report of misdoings?

Sam, help me understand your position on this. Obviously, we don't have all the facts, but here's my points of confusion:

1) We don't know much about the alleged alcohol incident by the coach. If it occurred in any way related to a team activity, didn't she potentially put the players/students at risk? If that is any part of the situation, shouldn't one of those placed at risk have the right/responsibility to avoid being in that situation again?

2) The whole issue relates to the "team". One team member (coach) let down the team; another (the player) felt it needed to be pursued, and obviously felt the "team" (head coach) wasn't addressing it. As a team member, are you saying it's none of her business? Do team rules not apply to all team members?

2a) If reporting it, be it for her own protection or simply a sense of what is right and what is wrong is none of her (the player's) business, then what makes the retaliation the pitcher's business? How is that different in your mind?

3) The message sent was the coach's message, it seems to me. At least the Michigan State coaches had the guts to send their own message, not involve another player. Not hearing the coach is facing any charges or disciplinary actions, so the "adult" leader lets/makes another student take hit. You condone that?
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:56 am

UmpSteve wrote:
Sam wrote:The alledged violation had nothing to do with this kid....yet she took it upon herself to report the coach. Nobody likes the Hall Monitor. Nobody likes being around a tattler. Did she expect her teammates to embrace her after her triumphant report of misdoings?

Sam, help me understand your position on this. Obviously, we don't have all the facts, but here's my points of confusion:

1) We don't know much about the alleged alcohol incident by the coach. If it occurred in any way related to a team activity, didn't she potentially put the players/students at risk? If that is any part of the situation, shouldn't one of those placed at risk have the right/responsibility to avoid being in that situation again?

2) The whole issue relates to the "team". One team member (coach) let down the team; another (the player) felt it needed to be pursued, and obviously felt the "team" (head coach) wasn't addressing it. As a team member, are you saying it's none of her business? Do team rules not apply to all team members?

2a) If reporting it, be it for her own protection or simply a sense of what is right and what is wrong is none of her (the player's) business, then what makes the retaliation the pitcher's business? How is that different in your mind?

3) The message sent was the coach's message, it seems to me. At least the Michigan State coaches had the guts to send their own message, not involve another player. Not hearing the coach is facing any charges or disciplinary actions, so the "adult" leader lets/makes another student take hit. You condone that?

1) Her teammates didn't state that they felt at risk due to the alleged incident.
2) Her teammates appear to have done some math: the violation was no big deal + the player reported the alleged violation + the coach did nothing to the coach = this player was purposely trying to get this coach. they didn't like it and they took minimal action to correct the situation.
2a) The player appears to be acting in her own self-interest while the pitcher is ostensibly expressing the sentiment of the team. Big difference.
3) You are assuming that the coach knew that there would be some self-administered discipline doled out by the team. You are also assuming that the coach didn't speak one on one with the pitcher afterwards to let her know that her actions either were or were not OK.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:10 pm

So according to Sam morality- If I'm a cop and I see another cop is taking a bribe, I should not report if other cops are OK with it? :?
jonriv

by B34R DOWN » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:47 pm

jonriv wrote:So according to Sam morality- If I'm a cop and I see another cop is taking a bribe, I should not report if other cops are OK with it? :?

Comparing Apples to Oranges... Let's stick to the story at hand...
B34R DOWN

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Sam wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:

1) Her teammates didn't state that they felt at risk due to the alleged incident.
2) Her teammates appear to have done some math: the violation was no big deal + the player reported the alleged violation + the coach did nothing to the coach = this player was purposely trying to get this coach. they didn't like it and they took minimal action to correct the situation.
2a) The player appears to be acting in her own self-interest while the pitcher is ostensibly expressing the sentiment of the team. Big difference.
3) You are assuming that the coach knew that there would be some self-administered discipline doled out by the team. You are also assuming that the coach didn't speak one on one with the pitcher afterwards to let her know that her actions either were or were not OK.

Violence begets violence. What if the girl that got plunked decided she would go after the pitcher and ends up beating her up? Is that ok? And then a few of the other girls go after that girl. And then the parents get involved and dole out their own brand of justice. When does it stop being ok and start being assault?

Slippery Slope.

Inmates running the asylum.

There are rules for a reason. Break them at your own risk and remember that your "in-house policing" may end up with you (or your precious little Suzy) getting a severe beatdown.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Sam wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:

Perhaps you have some inside information we aren't privy to. Absent that, I would submit the following is an equally likely scenario:

1) She, and several others on the team felt at risk; or, at a minimum disappointed in the inappropriate behavior of their coach. I see no police interviews or news reports contradicting that possibility.
2) The teammates math was: it could have been a big deal + lucky us it wasn't + it's been reported so why should I stick my neck out now, too + the "interim" head coach is sweeping it under the rug in hopes to get the permanent position = WE (the team) are taking no further action, and don't condone nor agree with what the pitcher did.
2a) The PITCHER may have a personal relationship with the coach involved, and was acting in HER own self-interest, not necessarily expressing a team sentiment.
3) Missing my point on this one. The PITCHER is facing assault charges, whether approved or unapproved by the coach, while apparently fighting the coach's battle. The coach is not charged, apparently not disciplined, and moving forward unscathed.

I don't know any part of what I wrote is true; we simply don't have enough information. So, I wonder how/why you take such a definite position in support of the pitcher.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions