Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Pitcher charged with assualt

What's on your mind?

by Sam » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:33 am

jonriv wrote:The problem in players policing themselves(besides the obvious injuries) is what i they are wrong and target the wrong player? It seems that the coach confronted the Pitcher, but what were the consequences? Sam I find it ironic you are so cavalier regarding potential injury here when you get on your soapbox for so many other potential injuries?

Getting hit by a softball travelling 56mph once will result in a bruise that will go away rather quickly. Its a nuisance and not an injury. The ball coming off of a bat travels much faster back at the pitcher. Sometimes irony can be so.....ironic.

The coach needs to ignore the situation. Its players policing players.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cannonball » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Isn't "players policing players" bullying? I thought that the NCAA and member schools came out against bullying and hazing. Then, of course, where is the line? So, getting hit by a softball isn't damaging? Lets suppose that this young lady stepped out and took that pitcher's teeth out. That would be ok then since it is "players policing players?" Hey suppose that a teammate came in late after team curfew and team wants to do a little "players policing players?" It would be just fine to wrap that player up in their bedsheets and beat the heck out of them. After all, she's padded with the sheets.

Actions have consequences. It is that simple. That applies to me, you, player, that pitcher ... So, young lady feels like she was assaulted. She has the right to seek damages.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Sam wrote:
jonriv wrote:The problem in players policing themselves(besides the obvious injuries) is what i they are wrong and target the wrong player? It seems that the coach confronted the Pitcher, but what were the consequences? Sam I find it ironic you are so cavalier regarding potential injury here when you get on your soapbox for so many other potential injuries?

Getting hit by a softball travelling 56mph once will result in a bruise that will go away rather quickly. Its a nuisance and not an injury. The ball coming off of a bat travels much faster back at the pitcher. Sometimes irony can be so.....ironic.

The coach needs to ignore the situation. Its players policing players.

C'mon Sam, pull your head out of your...oh never mind. :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fasterpitch92701 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:04 pm

The problem with "players policing players" is that often the "policing" isn't controlled, consistent, honorable, constructive...all the other attributes that one would hope would apply to "police". What it can lead to is something closer to "Mean Girls", that dippy teeny movie with the clown (now druggie) actress. Don't think I ever saw more than 13 minutes of that movie but the concept is there. It's bullying by a group threat. And where does "policing" stop and self indulgent, self absorbed att-ti-tude start? The problem with many teams is girl drama. What better way to promote drama than to have a group "policing" because we ALL know that the policing girls are right. But....but....but....what if they are not? Then what? Team root rot. IMHO the head coach needed to pull the pitcher over to a quiet corner and give her the "don't ever pull that bull$hit again, ever..." lecture. As an adult...and a coach, that is his responsibility.
fasterpitch92701

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:41 pm

fasterpitch92701 wrote:The problem with "players policing players" is that often the "policing" isn't controlled, consistent, honorable, constructive...all the other attributes that one would hope would apply to "police". What it can lead to is something closer to "Mean Girls", that dippy teeny movie with the clown (now druggie) actress. Don't think I ever saw more than 13 minutes of that movie but the concept is there. It's bullying by a group threat. And where does "policing" stop and self indulgent, self absorbed att-ti-tude start? The problem with many teams is girl drama. What better way to promote drama than to have a group "policing" because we ALL know that the policing girls are right. But....but....but....what if they are not? Then what? Team root rot. IMHO the head coach needed to pull the pitcher over to a quiet corner and give her the "don't ever pull that bull$hit again, ever..." lecture. As an adult...and a coach, that is his responsibility.

Agreed. Can't let the inmates run the asylum.
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:24 am

I think it's hilarious that you guys think this isn't already going on in college teams all over the country.

You are building excellent straw men, though......suppose the pitcher decided to behead this kid instead of hitting her with a pitch....suppose the batter obtained a nuclear weapon....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:14 am

Yep...Happens more than you think but I'll bet it will decline now that this story is out.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Pale Rider » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:30 am

...my 9th grade English teacher stole my heart...Can I sue? :D
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:10 am

Battle wrote:Yep...Happens more than you think but I'll bet it will decline now that this story is out.

No way... Even if the charges don't get dropped players will still do this... They may just not make it so obvious...
B34R DOWN

by Cannonball » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:36 pm

Sure it happens. It depends upon the school and the coaching staff. Many schools and especially coaching staffs are making the consequences clear to players during those first fall practices as to what will happen if bullying and hazing happen. Believe me, no school wants this kind of publicity and so, have measures in place now that include loss of scholarship, expulsion from campus, etc. You can search college softball bullying and read all you want to about the accusations and the consequences.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions