Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Practice

What's on your mind?

by Safebyahare » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:21 am

Yes, Hurricane the duct tape is to prevent dads, moms or whomever from opening their mouth and speaking between every pitch or swing. (over critiquing)
Due to her selective hearing at 12s and 14s, my voice was either too demeaning and harsh or annoying and over bearing.
Making fun where she got feedback and visual results was my answer and solution.
I only had one student (her), but was 100 percent correct on method of improvement.
In regards to hitting, she saw how and where the ball flew, she corrected herself and made adjustments to improve.
So when she saw her hitting coach there was only tweaking, and learning insight.
In regards to pitching, (she pitched at 12s and first year 14s) She practiced with a target wood frame and canvas target I made.It did not argue zone, or criticizes. She gave up on pitching because it just took too much time, and took that extra dedication. Which was cool with me.
If I did it again, I would have set up a radar reader, kinda like a carnival game.
So when she pitched the ball and it went through the frame it would show a speed of pitch to her. Now this doesn't help on movement, but she would throw harder just to improve her immediate score, that is just self nature that kicks in.

Great line jonriv,,,,"There will always be someone with more talent, but there should never be anyone who works harder."
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Coach Glad wrote:I have a very talented 12 year old daughter but it's hard to get her to practice. She is a pitcher with a big bat and knows it. Any tips on explaining we need to practice to get to the next level without getting angry.

You tell her one simple truth: If you don't practice, you don't play. Period.

Then you stick by the expectations you have set.

If she has questions, tell her that she gets to explain to the rest of her teammates exactly why they have to work their collective a$$e$ off at practice, but she....on the other hand, does not.

If that doesn't work, make her play soccer.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 am

Oddly...I agree with Sam on this one...barring being an over-reactive, overbearing d-bag parent...
She just THINKS shes good...the game will pass her by like a train...
Had several discussions with mine early on about not playing at her level...and I dont expect perfection, nobody is perfect but I do expect what I know shes capable of...
My only remark to that during a disagreement was..."I dont want to play softball...you do...if you dont think you want to play anymore...or know everything about it...put your shit in the truck because we're done"...
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 pm

Sorry CoachGlad for the Iverson video I just couldn't resist.... however in all seriousness I equate your DD's attitude with the Mom or Dad who says "our son/daughter has always slept with us since she was a baby & now that she's 1/2/3 she throws a temper tantrum when we try to get her to sleep in her bed"

I predict the hard, cold reality of tears & hurt feelings when as paleRider says "the game will pass her like a train" Better sooner than later IMHO
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:23 am

It's amazing the number of posters in this thread that immediately jump to playing "at the next levels." The kid in question is quite obviously a rec ball player and maybe she just plays because it's something to do or her parents make her do something athletic. All this talk about commitment for 12 year old little girls is just bullshit.

Playing ball in college used to be a goal, something to strive for....and now it's nothing but a by product of an industry built on parental egos buoyed by self serving coaches who could give two shits about the kid or the parent.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions