Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Practice

What's on your mind?

by Coach Glad » Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

I have a very talented 12 year old daughter but it's hard to get her to practice. She is a pitcher with a big bat and knows it. Any tips on explaining we need to practice to get to the next level without getting angry.
Coach Glad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Wed May 27, 2015 9:02 pm

Practice? just ask Allen Iverson :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Sounds like she is a gamer. I had one of those on my kid's team back in 12u (great pitcher and hitter).........she doesn't play softball anymore...................
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Wed May 27, 2015 10:01 pm

good topic and good posting.....

my experience is that playing softball at the next level (travel ball)....then, at the next level in college....it has to be a passion for the DD.

nothing you can do as a dad/mom will matter if the DD doesn't have that passion. The only thing that worked for my DD was having to sit out due to injury for an extended period of time....she didn't realize how much she loved to play the game until she couldn't play it. I've never seen her work as hard or focus as much during games AND practices upon her return.
Hurricane

by Safebyahare » Wed May 27, 2015 10:04 pm

I do not mean to be mean or long winded. Pick one or the other.
There are three things that will get a player on the field.
1. A solid pitcher.
2. Someone who hits.
3. A catcher who can frame, understand the unps zone, see a batters weakness, then set her up.
You say she is a pitcher and a hitter,,,pick one and work on it.
About pitching, make a target so you or anyone else does not have to catch or call strike/ball.
Set a rule up about practicing,,day,,time, duration,ect and make a schedule.
If she wants to remain a star pitcher, remind her, it takes practice.

PS Set a practice limit to be eligible for mom and dad to pay for pitching lessons.
As far as hitting practice,,,that I can help you with. Open field, bucket of balls, tea, duct tape.
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hit4power » Fri May 29, 2015 9:06 am

Been there. And I agree with the prior post - passion is a key driver of success at the next level.
With hindsight, I feel I probably pushed too hard at that age and looking back, some of the arguments I had with my 12yr old DD over practicing were pointless.
Does she play other sports? That really helped my DD discover how much she loved softball. (And probably helped prevent over-use injuries)
You didn't say how much practice you are wanting her to do - I'd caution against making softball her life at this age. If that's not the issue, then it's parent judgment on whether to push or let it ride and see what happens. You know your DD better than anyone else...
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Hurricane » Sat May 30, 2015 1:02 am

good point about playing other sports.

I have seen too many girls get freak injuries at a a young age....then, I find out...that's all they do....Travel Ball in the Fall, Travel Ball until HS ball starts...Travel Ball in summer trying to chase down that last PGF birth.

My DD was fortunate to play another sport, too. She enjoyed the other sport just because it was different...but still LOVED softball. As mentioned earlier: The passion finally kicked in when she fell ill with an unrelated health issue. It drove her crazy that she couldn't play softball. Finally after 4 months of healing, she could start swinging a bat and throwing. The long and arduous trip back was a life-learning lesson and challenge.

As a baseball fan....I LOVE SOFTBALL. It is addicting and very hard to explain to my friends sometimes.
Hurricane

by Hurricane » Sat May 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Safebyahare wrote:I do not mean to be mean or long winded. Pick one or the other.
There are three things that will get a player on the field.
1. A solid pitcher.
2. Someone who hits.
3. A catcher who can frame, understand the unps zone, see a batters weakness, then set her up.
You say she is a pitcher and a hitter,,,pick one and work on it.
About pitching, make a target so you or anyone else does not have to catch or call strike/ball.
Set a rule up about practicing,,day,,time, duration,ect and make a schedule.
If she wants to remain a star pitcher, remind her, it takes practice.

PS Set a practice limit to be eligible for mom and dad to pay for pitching lessons.
As far as hitting practice,,,that I can help you with. Open field, bucket of balls, tea, duct tape.

duct tape?????
Hurricane

by Hurricane » Sun May 31, 2015 1:08 pm

:shock:

ha...too funny....but a good point...probably necessary....with my DD it was! :D
Hurricane

by jonriv » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:18 am

Hard work and practice are key, but as mentioned before-it needs to be HER passion. There will always be someone with more talent, but there should never be anyone who works harder
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions