Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

College softball selection tonight

What's on your mind?

by as the world turns » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Obstruction at third? It was a question, Zombie. Open for discussion.
She should have gone shoulder first and leveled the third baseman, knocking the ball out of the glove.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by jonriv » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:12 am

And the answer was it did not look like obstruction
jonriv

by PDad » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:41 am

It's not an obvious call with slo-mo replays, so I don't think you can criticize the umpire if they got it wrong. See below for MTR's explanation of "about to receive."

MTR wrote:Don't really need a clinic, the NCAA rule is basically the same as what it used to be in NFHS & ASA. "About to receive" is when the ball comes between the runner and the defender. Now, this wording obviously confused most of the people who want to outthink the rules and insisted if that is the point, ATR can never exist if the throw is coming from a direction other the that of the runner. All bodies eventually broke it down as simple as it could possibly get, if the ball gets to the defender before the runner, it is not OBS. The ATR portion of the rules simply protects the defender from being called for OBS if she has the opportunity to get the ball prior to the runner coming to the base.

Runner reached the fielder before the ball, so it looks like what would normally be OBS since the fielder impeded the runner without the ball. However, I'm not sure the runner unimpeded would have reached the base before the fielder got the ball or if that matters (see ATR explanation above).

I'd like to hear from some knowledgeable umps, so I sent a PM to MTR and UmpSteve. Seems like this play is a good opportunity to clarify NCAA's ATR.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:19 pm

PDad wrote:It's not an obvious call with slo-mo replays, so I don't think you can criticize the umpire if they got it wrong. See below for MTR's explanation of "about to receive."

MTR wrote:Don't really need a clinic, the NCAA rule is basically the same as what it used to be in NFHS & ASA. "About to receive" is when the ball comes between the runner and the defender. Now, this wording obviously confused most of the people who want to outthink the rules and insisted if that is the point, ATR can never exist if the throw is coming from a direction other the that of the runner. All bodies eventually broke it down as simple as it could possibly get, if the ball gets to the defender before the runner, it is not OBS. The ATR portion of the rules simply protects the defender from being called for OBS if she has the opportunity to get the ball prior to the runner coming to the base.

Runner reached the fielder before the ball, so it looks like what would normally be OBS since the fielder impeded the runner without the ball. However, I'm not sure the runner unimpeded would have reached the base before the fielder got the ball or if that matters (see ATR explanation above).

I'd like to hear from some knowledgeable umps, so I sent a PM to MTR and UmpSteve. Seems like this play is a good opportunity to clarify NCAA's ATR.

I really expected this to pop up in the Umpire Corner. That said, I do think the topic deserves a fresh thread, and will do so with commentary from another officiating site.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:41 pm

Thanks UmpSteve!

The new thread - WCWS No-call Game 2 play.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions