Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

College softball selection tonight

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Sat May 16, 2015 11:11 am

as the world turns wrote:
jonriv wrote:
as the world turns wrote:How does a team with a 257 RPI make it to Regionals? Some of these conferences should not have an automatic berth. No other sport does this, what a joke.

NCAA basketball and baseball do it. It's to keep all conferences relevant. I believe all college sports give berths to conference champs

So it is up to the NCAA to keep the conferences relevant? How about they tell these conferences to step up the schedule or lose their automatic berths?

Politics and blues are the bane of the sport.

LSU-15 vs 257 RPI Team-0

Not fair to the players, fans and the sport.

How and where do you draw the line - by RPI?

#247 FAMU lost 0-6 to #1 FL

#214 Fairfield lost 0-8 (6) to #6 AL
#198 Oakland lost 1-9 (6) to #3 Mich

#148 IN St lost 0-7 to #10 Mizzou
#133 TN Tech lost 1-4 to #4 Auburn
#115 C.Conn lost 1-6 to #14 GA

#109 C.Ark lost 0-8 (5) to #11 OK
#108 Binghamton lost 1-9 (5) to #15 JMU
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Sat May 16, 2015 1:10 pm

PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:
as the world turns wrote:How does a team with a 257 RPI make it to Regionals? Some of these conferences should not have an automatic berth. No other sport does this, what a joke.

NCAA basketball and baseball do it. It's to keep all conferences relevant. I believe all college sports give berths to conference champs

So it is up to the NCAA to keep the conferences relevant? How about they tell these conferences to step up the schedule or lose their automatic berths?

Politics and blues are the bane of the sport.

LSU-15 vs 257 RPI Team-0

Exactly, we need to revise the automatic berth on some of these conferences.
“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” John Wayne
as the world turns

by PDad » Sat May 16, 2015 6:50 pm

PDad wrote:
How about they tell these conferences to step up the schedule or lose their automatic berths?
LSU-15 vs 257 RPI Team-0

Exactly, we need to revise the automatic berth on some of these conferences.

#247 FAMU's performance was more than acceptable along with the other teams listed. FL beat Hofstra 7-0 in their next game.

#257 TX So gave up all 15 runs in the first 2 innings. They lost 5-0 to Nebraska in the next game, which is not shameful. I suspect nerves were a big reason for the 15 runs allowed in the first game and they settled down after that.

Hopefully, the experience will encourage the coaches to step up their schedules and expectations because they're more competitive than they fear.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Sat May 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Exactly, we need to revise the automatic berth on some of these conferences.[/quote]

What is the alternative? Let every team from major conferences in? Did Arkansas deserve to get in the tourney more than Texas Southern?

As mentioned, sometimes these teams have a bad first game due to nerves, and do okay after, even if they go 2 and out. Longwood, who I literally have never heard of, did pretty well against Tennessee and Utah. Like the Men's hoop tournament, there is always a chance for the upset, so let 'em in.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by as the world turns » Sat May 16, 2015 9:40 pm

I guess there are pro and cons to automatic berths and the fix would require a total revamping of the system, that's not going to happen.
We have bigger problems, like the amount of blown calls the blues are making and the vast range of what is the strike zone. The sport deserves better than this. ESPN, please bring out the strike box feature so we can see how bad the problem is, maybe only then, with TV viewing pressure, will the problem be addressed. The TV commentators are even making comments about the sub-par officiating, I think they have also seen enough. I think the instant replay was used more to review questionable calls and strikes/non-strikes than reviewing good plays. Btw, how about Mendoza's outfit?

All the players in regionals get an A+, congratulations players, only a few earn this privilege.
The officiating gets a D
as the world turns

by jonriv » Tue May 19, 2015 7:16 am

Frankly I like that Conference winners get an automatic birth- shows you need to win to get in. There are plenty of at-large to take care of "more deserving" high RPI teams. Seeding will handle the RPI inequalities and weaker teams will be weeded out through tournament play. As for unfair to the players- I'm sure that they would disagree. A friend of my DDs hit a Homerun versus Georgia(first of her career) and was certainly a lifelong memory.

As far as the umps- how are they chosen? Are some of the ssues due to calling differences in different regions of the country?
jonriv

by Battle » Sat May 23, 2015 3:22 pm

jonriv wrote:As far as the umps- how are they chosen? Are some of the ssues due to calling differences in different regions of the country?

Um no. It's the whining crying of parents or team biased opinions.

I guess it's the umps fault because their little "Jennie Finch" can't make a simple catch and throw to 1st either. :roll:

That's getting ridiculous...
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by as the world turns » Sun May 24, 2015 12:41 pm

jonriv wrote:Frankly I like that Conference winners get an automatic birth- shows you need to win to get in. There are plenty of at-large to take care of "more deserving" high RPI teams. Seeding will handle the RPI inequalities and weaker teams will be weeded out through tournament play. As for unfair to the players- I'm sure that they would disagree. A friend of my DDs hit a Homerun versus Georgia(first of her career) and was certainly a lifelong memory.

As far as the umps- how are they chosen? Are some of the ssues due to calling differences in different regions of the country?

It is about the politics that gets me. Minnesota was more deserving than ND and JM to host IMO. Automatic berths is what makes the playoffs interesting I guess.
as the world turns

by as the world turns » Sun May 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Battle wrote:
jonriv wrote:As far as the umps- how are they chosen? Are some of the ssues due to calling differences in different regions of the country?

I guess it's the umps fault because their little "Jennie Finch" can't make a simple catch and throw to 1st either. :roll:

What is ridiculous is that you see no problem with the inconsistency of officiating as we have all seen on TV during the regionals and supers - and some real bad calls. A bunch of old farts still controlling a girl's sport.
as the world turns

by Battle » Sun May 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Battle wrote:

What is ridiculous is that you see no problem with the inconsistency of officiating as we have all seen on TV during the regionals and supers - and some real bad calls. A bunch of old farts still controlling a girl's sport.

LOL...Yeah it's a conspiracy I tell ya. The bad calls are probably coming from the grassy knoll... :roll:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions