Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

10U National team- opinons wanted

What's on your mind?

by xxxYerOut » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:10 am

Sam wrote: If you are complaining about Daddy Ball...there is just one fact that you need to know...your kid just isn't that good.

Not always the case. Mine can definately play the game. Has a good glove, strong arm and is a very good hitter. Last year at Western Worlds, DD sat the first 3 games until the team was facing elimination. Daddy's, err.. Coaches dd was a catcher and played 3rd. When we got to qualifiers and Reg's, coaches decided she was not good enough to catch so they planted her at 3rd. She was 0-forever and after striking out (again), stomped her foot in the box and says "dang, everytime" and storms back to the bench. We didn't expect this as it was an A team, not rec.

DD and one other girl finally got in and hit a ton, putting balls out to fences. They won the next 5, including giving the winner's bracket their first loss, before we ran out of pitching and lost in the championship game. The parents on the other team were saying "back up - big hitter" when dd came up. She never played an inning on the field. It's funny, they saw her play for a couple hours and knew more than the coaches that had her all season.

The team won quite a few tournaments early when using a solid rotation, but lost everything down the stretch when it went to Daughter Ball (NorCal's tag for Daddy Ball). I try hard not to see things through Daddy's rose colored goggles. And have always been there to help where ever I can. I will not coach however, just so DD can play where she wants to. She knows she has to earn it. And if there is a coaches daughter in her position (which we try to avoid) she better work even harder. 110% at 110 MPH.

Something that many do not realize, it is different playing the game outside of SoCal. It is not nearly as evolved. Still very much a rec ball mentality, even on travel clubs.
xxxYerOut

by Sam » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:29 am

addiction wrote:
DonnieS wrote:>> If you are complaining about Daddy Ball...there is just one fact that you need to know...your kid just isn't that good. <<

Dead on, Sam. I have never heard a more accurate statement made regarding coaches and the inevitable pita parents. I may get some t-shirts made up with that on it and sell them, heck, give them away to fellow coaches.

I knew I could smoke a few of you daddy ballers out :lol: :roll:

FYI, yes, I have coached several seasons of rec ball and put my blood, seat and tears into the league, and yes, my DD made all-stars all but one season in rec ball

I understand that daddy has to coach and help run the league, what I dont understand is why they let a guy or girl coach an all-star team when their own DD isnt even worthy of a spot on the team, they should allow a person to be the all-star coach IF their DD is really good enough, not so their DD can get a free unearned ride. I got sick of seeing weak teams assembled because of the back door "you vote for my DD ill vote for yours" crap going on. I got tired of seeing kids who deserved to be on the all-star team get the shaft because their parents were not coaches or board members, not part of the little "clique" of butt kissers and leg humpers.

"If you are complaining about Daddy Ball...there is just one fact that you need to know...your kid just isn't that good" that statement is complete BS and you know this

Here's a news flash.....if the coaches' kids and board members kids don't make all stars...they won't be coaches and board members any more...and you won't have a rec league. If you don't like it...coach....be a board member....put in the extra work that these people do to earn their kids a spot any damn where they want to be.

There are tons of kids whose parents don't coach and aren't board members who make all-stars annually and play and lead their teams.

I've coached my daughters for years. I've been a board member. I've coaches all stars. I've seen the daddy ball complainers and they were parents who didn't put the time in to help their DD improve enough to make the all star team...they only saw the good plays Little Susie made...they were blind to the fact that Little Susie couldn't hit water if she fell out of a boat...that Little Susie couldn't catch a cold if she was taking a bath outside at the North Pole...that Little Susie was so stupid it took her 2 hours to watch 60 Minutes....all they saw was the single dribbler she hit to 3B that the thirdbaseman overthrew into RF, that the RF threw to CF, that the CF threw past 3B, that the thirdbaseman threw into the dugout....Little Susie's Home Run. She should obviously be an all star...the starting SS...and hit 3rd in the lineup....of every game. Who could argue with that?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by addiction » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:42 am

Sam wrote:
Here's a news flash.....if the coaches' kids and board members kids don't make all stars...they won't be coaches and board members any more...and you won't have a rec league. If you don't like it...coach....be a board member....put in the extra work that these people do to earn their kids a spot any damn where they want to be.

AND THERE IT IS :!: :lol: DADDY BALL AT ITS FINEST FINALLY ADMITTED :!: :lol:

personally, I would never want to "buy" my DD a spot anywhere

the big problem is that when the DD who was handed everything on a silver platter without really earning a thing gets to travel, they really suffer because they have not had to work as hard as they should have, now in the world of travel, they suffer and dont have the talent and are mediocre players at best, I have seen it too many times
addiction

by xxxYerOut » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:45 am

Susie..? What's your other daughter's name? :mrgreen:
xxxYerOut

by addiction » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 am

Sam wrote: I've seen the daddy ball complainers and they were parents who didn't put the time in to help their DD improve enough to make the all star team...they only saw the good plays Little Susie made...they were blind to the fact that Little Susie couldn't hit water if she fell out of a boat...that Little Susie couldn't catch a cold if she was taking a bath outside at the North Pole...that Little Susie was so stupid it took her 2 hours to watch 60 Minutes....all they saw was the single dribbler she hit to 3B that the thirdbaseman overthrew into RF, that the RF threw to CF, that the CF threw past 3B, that the thirdbaseman threw into the dugout....Little Susie's Home Run. She should obviously be an all star...the starting SS...and hit 3rd in the lineup....of every game. Who could argue with that?

I agree with you on that. there are a lot of parents with "parent goggles" on and wont face reality. It also applies to some of the coaches daughters as well. some of these coaches need to take a step back and quit trying to make their own DD out to be a superstar when their DD has zero talent, never has never will
addiction

by Sam » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:00 am

addiction wrote:
Sam wrote:

the big problem is that when the DD who was handed everything on a silver platter without really earning a thing gets to travel, they really suffer because they have not had to work as hard as they should have, now in the world of travel, they suffer and dont have the talent and are mediocre players at best, I have seen it too many times

No, the problem is that whiners can't be kicked out of rec ball leagues. I can assure you that they can in TB and they don't last long, especially when the DD isn't extremely talented.

I've coached/managed TB teams for 9 years and I couldn't name even a handfull of coaches' kids that weren't good ball players. Why do you think that is? In fact, the vast majority of coaches' kids that I've seen were normally some of the best players on the team.

What do you guys call a coach who doesn't have a kid on the team when he does't play precious all the time? I remember....."he just plays his FAVORITES"...."he just plays her because her parents kiss his butt"....always an excuse and never looking at the real source of the problem....try looking in the mirror.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by addiction » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:04 am

Sam wrote:
addiction wrote:
Sam wrote:

No, the problem is that whiners can't be kicked out of rec ball leagues. I can assure you that they can in TB and they don't last long, especially when the DD isn't extremely talented.

I've coached/managed TB teams for 9 years and I couldn't name even a handfull of coaches' kids that weren't good ball players. Why do you think that is? In fact, the vast majority of coaches' kids that I've seen were normally some of the best players on the team.

What do you guys call a coach who doesn't have a kid on the team when he does't play precious all the time? I remember....."he just plays his FAVORITES"...."he just plays her because her parents kiss his butt"....always an excuse and never looking at the real source of the problem....try looking in the mirror.

maybe some of these unrealistic coaches should take themselves out? just a thought. its not always the "complaining parent" who is wrong.
addiction

by addiction » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:06 am

Sam wrote: I couldn't name even a handfull of coaches' kids that weren't good ball players.

I can but I wont :lol:
addiction

by artomatic » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 am

addiction wrote:you were lucky, a lot of rec leagues dont do it right. I have heard that Huntington is a good league though 8-)

that's all I'm saying, and I can't speak for any other league out there...just my own experience, and yes, I coached our All Star team in 10's...I'm also blessed to have a hard working kid who doesn't expect anything handed to her.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Gone in 2.6 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 am

Luv_SC wrote:Last year at nationals for 10u it seemed as a lot of states has assembled Nationals Team. Meaning that they took the best 13-15 players and combined teams vs taking a team that had played together during the season. I think this would be the best way for California to be sucessful in that age group. This year especially the 10u division seems watered down. There is not the talent of last year and definitely not of the 95's. Does anyone else think sending two teams vs seven is a better option? I personally think the 10u division is weak and there are way too many teams. I have only been involved with travel for three years but some of the teams out there wouldnt give a decent all star team a run and definitely should not be playing at the travel level. I have yet to see a strong team and honestly do not think that one will emerge there are probabley 4 good quality teams but none that can compete at a national level and none that I see becoming strong enough in the upcoming months. Combine two or three of those and then being able to compete at nationals would be a whole different story. Just wondering what others thought of this idea?

Is this for real?

Warning: Unsolicited advice coming.......

Many of us are a little embarrassed when we look back at our outlook back in 10u. You can save yourself some of that embarrassment by stepping back and mixing in a little perspective. Because when your DD is College, Gold, 16's or maybe as soon as 14's, you will look at this thread and slap yourself upside the head. Repeatedly.
Last edited by Gone in 2.6 on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And as I watch you disappear into the ground
My one mistake was that I never let you down"
Gone in 2.6

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions