Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Time for rule change?

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm

fastpitchdad05 wrote:
PDad wrote:The rule change I favor is removing the advance of runners from the penalty. There is no justification for it and it inhibits some umpires from calling IPs when runners are on base.

So for clarification PDad would the only advancement of a runner result from an IP or IPs that bring about ball 4?

The penalty for an IP would just be a ball. Yes, that may contribute to a BB that forces runner(s) to advance. It wouldn't affect other provisions regarding HBP or giving offenses the option of taking the result of the play.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:02 pm

...question is...where would you draw the line at a crow hop / replant...Only ones I can think who'd be pro, would be pitchers who cant throw legal now
AKA "Thread Killer"

"Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you."
Edward "Blackbeard" Teach
Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nicelag » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:58 am

I have seen more slappers get called out for being out of the box so do we extend the batter's box to eliminate that? No, we make them do it right.

The reason that upper level pitchers are having such a problem with this is because they were allowed to get away with it at the lower levels. The problem I see is inconsistent umpiring. Most umpires simply don't know the rules, or just do not want to be the bad guy and make the call. I am leaning towards the don't know the rules area. They would rather leave it to someone else. So let's not change the rules because umpires don't want to do their job. Let's educate them and hold them more accountable. If IP's are called on a consistent basis the pitchers will adjust, or just learn the right way to begin with.
Nicelag

by Pale Rider » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:30 am

I have a friend whose kid pitches for an SEC team...
He used to want wholesale changes to the game, back to 40ft...65ft base paths, 250ft fences...bats equivalent to wiffle ball...
Wonder why?...
But now his kid is in a program that *really* trains its players, video, all the bells and whistles...and she has improved in the circle AND at the plate...and his desires for change have diminished ;)

One thing about it, for one, Im sure glad the NCAA doesn't take all our 'wishes' to heart...

Or we'd have a game that's like watching paint dry, need a 'due to time constraints' skip 4 innings button and takes 4+hrs to play... called baseball
Or back to the 1 hit ball games of the past...
Personally I think its fun when a Top 10 team can get their butts whipped pretty regularly by an un-ranked team
"This game is HARD, if it were easy, everyone would do it...its the HARD that makes it great"
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:48 am

Was there ever a ruling on the toe flap? Have any more been spotted?
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:04 pm

Safebyahare wrote:Was there ever a ruling on the toe flap? Have any more been spotted?

No idea, but my daughter's new pitching cleats just arrived yesterday:
Attachments
clownshoes.gif
clownshoes.gif (20.87 KiB) Viewed 3762 times
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Pale Rider » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:14 pm

:D :D :D
AKA "Thread Killer"

Pale Rider
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Donnie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:16 pm

How about getting rid of the high school rule which allows the pitcher to step backwards? It makes no sense to me. If travel and college pitchers are not allowed to do it then why high school???
Be The Hunter
Donnie
Premium Member
Premium Member

by AlwaysImprove » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:15 pm

Safebyahare wrote:Was there ever a ruling on the toe flap? Have any more been spotted?

NCAA Softball Rules Committee ruled against it.

MEMORANDUM

March 13, 2015

TO: NCAA Softball Head Coaches and Coordinators of Officials.

NCAA Softball Rules Committee

Susan Cassidy-Lyke, chair
NCAA Softball Rules Committee.

SUBJECT: Rules Interpretations and Clarifications.

Following the monthly NCAA Softball Rules Committee call, we would like to bring the following items to your immediate attention:

Pitching Toes (Rule 3.9): It has come to the committee’s attention that there are homemade products being fastened to pitchers’ shoes that comply with Rule 3.9 which allows for pitching toes of unspecified dimensions to be used as long as they are securely fastened. While these products do technically meet the playing rule, the committee has unanimously voted to invoke its right to intercede in order to maintain the integrity of the game and to ensure a player’s performance is more a product of her individual skill than of her equipment as noted in the opening paragraph of Rule 3. Therefore, products that are fastened to extend the toe of the shoe are to be deemed illegal if the entire surface of the attachment is not in contact with the existing surface of the shoe.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:36 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:

NCAA Softball Rules Committee ruled against it.

MEMORANDUM

March 13, 2015

TO: NCAA Softball Head Coaches and Coordinators of Officials.

NCAA Softball Rules Committee

Susan Cassidy-Lyke, chair
NCAA Softball Rules Committee.

SUBJECT: Rules Interpretations and Clarifications.

Following the monthly NCAA Softball Rules Committee call, we would like to bring the following items to your immediate attention:

Pitching Toes (Rule 3.9): It has come to the committee’s attention that there are homemade products being fastened to pitchers’ shoes that comply with Rule 3.9 which allows for pitching toes of unspecified dimensions to be used as long as they are securely fastened. While these products do technically meet the playing rule, the committee has unanimously voted to invoke its right to intercede in order to maintain the integrity of the game and to ensure a player’s performance is more a product of her individual skill than of her equipment as noted in the opening paragraph of Rule 3. Therefore, products that are fastened to extend the toe of the shoe are to be deemed illegal if the entire surface of the attachment is not in contact with the existing surface of the shoe.

Thanks AI! Then my DD's new shoes are legal...nice!

On a serious note, were there any other college girls using the flap other than the girl from Cal or did they nip this in the bud with just her example?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions