Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Time for rule change?

What's on your mind?

by UmpSteve » Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm

Safebyahare wrote:If anything it allows more velocity/speed without the drag, and it probably adds an inch or two to the release point closer to the plate.(again free from drag).
Sometimes a little change is good. Just ask the panhandler.

Not being sexist, simply pointing out physiological differences (while watching BONES reruns on TV, ironically).

Male physiology: Genetically stronger legs, pitchers gain velocity from the step back and leap. Male pitchers rarely pitch more than one game in a day; their legs simply cannot handle it.

Female physiology: Genetically broader (childbearing) hips, pitchers gain velocity from closing the hips the men don't have. The drag closes the hips with maximum force and minimal energy expended. Female pitchers recover faster and generally can pitch repetitively due to less fatigue because the drag makes it a no-to-little effort event.

Okay, I know, "childbearing hips" may sound sexist to you, but it an evolutionary scientific reality. And, NO, Sam and Fresh, I am NOT suggesting that females can be overused ad infinitum. I'm saying their legs are rarely a factor in fatigue or overuse, while that is what stops the men.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Wed May 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Quote: Men rarely pitch more the one game a day. Huh! Obviously don't know what ur talkin about!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jtat32 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:04 pm

UmpSteve wrote:
Male physiology: Genetically stronger legs, pitchers gain velocity from the step back and leap. Male pitchers rarely pitch more than one game in a day; their legs simply cannot handle it.

Female physiology: Genetically broader (childbearing) hips, pitchers gain velocity from closing the hips the men don't have. The drag closes the hips with maximum force and minimal energy expended. Female pitchers recover faster and generally can pitch repetitively due to less fatigue because the drag makes it a no-to-little effort event.

For the record, I'm just a dad of two pitchers and I'm certainly no expert. That said, I would argue that it isn't the leaping itself that adds to the velocity of the pitch - it is the stop and the energy that this transfers to the elbow and wrist snap. If the leap and stop aren't timed correctly with the arm circle, then it adds nothing to the pitch. The physics are the same for male and female pitchers.

It's kind of a tangent, but somewhat relevant to the topic here. It is the linear movement (momentum) that effects velocity, not any upward movement. Same thing with an outfielder's crow hop. Losing contact with ground because of a higher leap isn't going to help a pitcher all that much.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by hogtyed » Sun May 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Spazsdad wrote:I love how many people say it gives no advantage. Then why do they do it? Why are they taught this mechanic.

You offered absolutely zero evidence that leaping provides an advantage.
hogtyed

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions