Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Time for rule change?

What's on your mind?

by jtat32 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I've been watching some college softball, and there are a lot of illegal pitches being called. I know that this has been a point of emphasis in recent years, but it doesn't help the game and doesn't make it more interesting to watch, IMO.

From what I've seen, it seems like they should at least get rid of the leaping portion of the rule. This doesn't give the pitcher much, if any, advantage, and this is the primary thing that I see getting called.

Given that it's not a pitching-dominated game anymore, maybe it's time to get rid of the replant, too. I get that 1-0 games are boring to some, but football scores can be just as boring.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Fastpitch4Life » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

jtat32 wrote:I've been watching some college softball, and there are a lot of illegal pitches being called. I know that this has been a point of emphasis in recent years, but it doesn't help the game and doesn't make it more interesting to watch, IMO.

From what I've seen, it seems like they should at least get rid of the leaping portion of the rule. This doesn't give the pitcher much, if any, advantage, and this is the primary thing that I see getting called.

Given that it's not a pitching-dominated game anymore, maybe it's time to get rid of the replant, too. I get that 1-0 games are boring to some, but football scores can be just as boring.

I've been watching alot of Pac-12 and SEC games and haven't seen that many illegal pitch calls, but it never fails that comes time for Regionals, Supers and WCWS the umpires start cracking down on pitchers. I've heard Michelle Smith and other "experts" continually say that the crow hop provides no advantage to the pitcher. I've never pitched so I will take her word for it. Either call it all season long or get rid of the rule. There is nothing worse than seeing a post-season game with a whole bunch of EP calls that were never called during the regular season.
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:24 pm

Fastpitch4Life wrote:
jtat32 wrote:I've been watching some college softball, and there are a lot of illegal pitches being called. I know that this has been a point of emphasis in recent years, but it doesn't help the game and doesn't make it more interesting to watch, IMO.

I've been watching alot of Pac-12 and SEC games and haven't seen that many illegal pitch calls, but it never fails that comes time for Regionals, Supers and WCWS the umpires start cracking down on pitchers. I've heard Michelle Smith and other "experts" continually say that the crow hop provides no advantage to the pitcher. I've never pitched so I will take her word for it. Either call it all season long or get rid of the rule. There is nothing worse than seeing a post-season game with a whole bunch of EP calls that were never called during the regular season.

My DD pitches but I'm certainly no expert, but I wonder if they allowed the hop but maybe limited the distance they could hop if that would help?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:05 pm

A leap will get you 6 inches closer to the batter at release.

A crow hop, or replant, can get you another foot closer.

So a 60 mph fastball released at 39 feet will allow the batter .4432 seconds to get the bat to the ball. A leap allows .4375 seconds and a crow hop allows .4318 seconds.

Not a great advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

That said, I think they should be allowed to throw under the same rules as the men, who are allowed to leap.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by UmpSteve » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 am

Sam wrote:A leap will get you 6 inches closer to the batter at release.

So a 60 mph fastball released at 39 feet will allow the batter .4432 seconds to get the bat to the ball. A leap allows .4375 seconds and a crow hop allows .4318 seconds.

Not a great advantage, but an advantage nonetheless.

That said, I think they should be allowed to throw under the same rules as the men, who are allowed to leap.

Let's be clear; the only reason the rules were changed to allow men to leap was the sport (men's fastpitch) is dying a slow death, and the reason is primarily the lack for pitchers. So the rules were relaxed to allow those that couldn't or wouldn't pitch legally to continue to play for the very existence of the sport.

NCAA and youth fastpitch aren't dying. The numbers remain strong, and there are many available and competitive pitchers. The premise that we should change the rules to allow those that simply haven't the discipline to pitch legally is a slap, an insult, and a competitive DISadvantage to those who do!!
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 am

Spazsdad wrote:I love how many people say it gives no advantage. Then why do they do it? Why are they taught this mechanic. [...]

This is absolutely correct. Why do they do it? Why do they want to do it? The reason is because it is an advantage. Allow it and the crow hop will follow.

Sam wrote:A leap will get you 6 inches closer to the batter at release.

[...]

The men who are good at leaping are also good at crow-hopping. The advantage is far greater than 18 inches. As UmpSteve notes, this isn't called in the men's game because that game is dying.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by DDG » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:13 am

There are only two things that need to change:
1. Enforce the rule the entire season - not just in playoffs
2. Pitchers learn to pitch properly.

What would happen if they changed the rules every time a few players refused to comply?

Reward those that learned and put the time and effort into doing the job properly. Don't cave into those that do it wrong.

If it doesn't provide an advantage, why are they doing it?
DDG

by jtat32 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Interesting points, and FWIW, I have no dog in the fight other than a preference to watch close, hard-fought games. I have two DDs that pitch, but neither have ever come close to having a leap called on them - they are both genetically gifted with my predisposition to maintain contact with the earth during athletic activities.

I was a little unclear in what my main point was: hitting and scoring seem to be on the rise. I'm not trying to argue that leaping doesn't provide an advantage, although I would tend to agree with Sam that it's a limited benefit.

I'm primarily wondering whether college offense is getting to a point where it's worth considering giving the pitchers a little more of an advantage.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:05 pm

The rule change I favor is removing the advance of runners from the penalty. There is no justification for it and it inhibits some umpires from calling IPs when runners are on base.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:33 pm

PDad wrote:The rule change I favor is removing the advance of runners from the penalty. There is no justification for it and it inhibits some umpires from calling IPs when runners are on base.

So for clarification PDad would the only advancement of a runner result from an IP or IPs that bring about ball 4?
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions