Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is this even allowed?

What's on your mind?

by msdee » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:33 pm

My daughter plays on a ASA rec ball team in The north OC. She is on the 14U team. In the middle of our game, our coaches allowed their 12U travel ball team to take the field and bench our 14U rec ball girls. As I watched the travel ball team load up into the dugout, I couldn't believe my eyes. They actually had their 12U travel ball team playing the rec ball game while the girls sat and watched. The parents were upset. The umpire watched as this team took over in their practice clothes and played the game. They even batted while our rec ball team sat there and watched. There must have been some sort of agreement between our coach and the other teams coach before this happened, because the switch took place so fast. The coaches response was "We are all in the same league" and "The other team is 'like" a travel ball team, so we put travel ball girls in there." Other than this being unethical, is it even allowed? Confused.... :roll:
Aside from our girls not having an opening day ceremony, none of us parents having a game schedule, and not getting a receipt for fees paid, this has got to be the worst feeling. :shock:
msdee

by Yardball » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:53 pm

msdee wrote:My daughter plays on a ASA rec ball team in The north OC. She is on the 14U team. In the middle of our game, our coaches allowed their 12U travel ball team to take the field and bench our 14U rec ball girls. As I watched the travel ball team load up into the dugout, I couldn't believe my eyes. They actually had their 12U travel ball team playing the rec ball game while the girls sat and watched. The parents were upset. The umpire watched as this team took over in their practice clothes and played the game. They even batted while our rec ball team sat there and watched. There must have been some sort of agreement between our coach and the other teams coach before this happened, because the switch took place so fast. The coaches response was "We are all in the same league" and "The other team is 'like" a travel ball team, so we put travel ball girls in there." Other than this being unethical, is it even allowed? Confused.... :roll:
Aside from our girls not having an opening day ceremony, none of us parents having a game schedule, and not getting a receipt for fees paid, this has got to be the worst feeling. :shock:

Msdee,

I don't know the rules but you might want to ask the coach directly and find out why it happened. You guys might of needed help or were short girls and needed a few players in certain spots. I know it sucks that it happened and I'm pretty sure some of the parents took there frustration out on the 12U girls which wouldn't be right. Tell me I'm wrong hopefully... Those girls were probably told to help out. Is it wrong, yes! Because as a parent you put money and time to see your daughter and her team play not a 12u squad.
Yardball

by Sam » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:23 am

msdee wrote:My daughter plays on a ASA rec ball team in The north OC. She is on the 14U team. In the middle of our game, our coaches allowed their 12U travel ball team to take the field and bench our 14U rec ball girls. As I watched the travel ball team load up into the dugout, I couldn't believe my eyes. They actually had their 12U travel ball team playing the rec ball game while the girls sat and watched. The parents were upset. The umpire watched as this team took over in their practice clothes and played the game. They even batted while our rec ball team sat there and watched. There must have been some sort of agreement between our coach and the other teams coach before this happened, because the switch took place so fast. The coaches response was "We are all in the same league" and "The other team is 'like" a travel ball team, so we put travel ball girls in there." Other than this being unethical, is it even allowed? Confused.... :roll:

Apparently.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by B34R DOWN » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Sounds like a shady league to me... I know ASA rec programs have rules against playing or practicing with Travel ball teams... It could jeopardize All-Star eligibility... Not sure we have all the details, but if they brought in a whole squad during a game and benched an entire 14u rec team seems the coaches might not be keeping with the spirit of rec ball...
B34R DOWN

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:50 pm

Sam wrote:

Apparently.

Right... And I never agree wth Sam!

Aren't you embarrassed you posted that? I'm embarrassed for you!
tbjd33

by Battle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:53 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Sam wrote:

Apparently.

So if it actually is the way the OP described it, you would accept this as a rec parent?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by tbjd33 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Battle wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Sam wrote:

Apparently.

So if it actually is the way the OP described it, you would accept this as a rec parent?

In any form or setting that behavior should never be tolerated...
tbjd33

by B34R DOWN » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 am

According to the ASA Yellowbook it is NOT allowed... See pages 16-17...

http://www.socal-asa.com/jo/forms/YellowBook.pdf
B34R DOWN

by Battle » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:41 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
Battle wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:
Sam wrote:

Apparently.

In any form or setting that behavior should never be tolerated...

Which behavior are you referring to?...The coach or the OP?
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by eclipse09 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:55 pm

B34R DOWN wrote:According to the ASA Yellowbook it is NOT allowed... See pages 16-17...

http://www.socal-asa.com/jo/forms/YellowBook.pdf

This link is outdated. ASA has not updated it for 2 years. A rec player or rec team can face, participate and associate with a travel team up until March 31st. The rule about 4 or more players doing travel together was changed last year, but I believe ASA plans on reinstating it next year.

Still not sure why it happened, but it should be reported to the league.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions