Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Former OSU (Oklahoma State) DISSED!

What's on your mind?

by SDSUXO » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:14 pm

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/o ... l?mode=jqm

Not sure if any of you have seen this today, but former OSU stand-out player, Julie Ward, asked for the firing of OSU Head Coach Ken Weigland, after he approved the ceremonial burning of her jersey. Julie is a former player for SMGSA (Sierra Madre Girls Softball - San Gabriel Valley) and Pride traveball. She earned a 5-year FULL ATHLETIC scholarship to play for OSU and hold a number of school records. Additionally, she was an integral player in getting OSU to the WCWS in 2012.

This is the utmost of disrespect to not only Julie, but to the game of softball, and to student-athletes. It touches a major nerve for me, as I met Julie when she worked my softball diner for me for several years. She has returned to California and continues to support the game by coaching travel and high school ball and instructing.
~Lynda~
http://rosecityphotography.smugmug.com/
Playin' for KM: 1964 - 2008
SDSUXO
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:07 pm

I don't get it either. Did they associate the burning of the jersey with Ward, or did they just burn a jersey with a number that no one was wearing this season? I was/am not particularly superstitious about sports stuff, so I find it pretty silly they would do this anyway, but unless they said, "This jersey worn by so and so is the cause of our misfortunes, I don't see any "dissing." It's not like they number was retired.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Nicelag » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:16 pm

Now, if they pulled it out of the trophy case, or the rafters, and it had her name on it maybe some dis-respect could be afoot.
Nicelag

by NumeroUno » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 am

What kind of coach would burn a kids jersey?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by PDad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:30 pm

The roster shows a freshman has Ward's old number, so something must have been said that it wasn't about the current player. I suspect some old bad feelings were involved in this.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Vess Express » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:20 pm

I have to admit burning a jersey is a little strange, but how does she know this is about her? She's been gone for 3 years, yet somehow she knows they are burning "her" jersey?

If a freshman has the jersey # now, I am curious what happened with it the two years before that?
Vess Express

Return to Fastpitch Discussions