Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

What Does It Mean To Be ...ATHLETIC?

What's on your mind?

by fastpitchdad05 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:43 pm

DonnieS wrote:
fastpitchdad05 wrote:
DonnieS wrote:I saw a kid get offered a full ride, it was to a juco, but still it was a full, based on the coach watching her walk from on deck to home plate. He said, "I know an athlete when I see one."

How did that turn out?

She didnt accept - she had a full to a D1.

I guess that coach knew what he was talking about. :lol:
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:32 am

I have seen the term "athletic" used in several ways and meanings:

1) Like mentioned throughout the post- to describe a player that is fast, powerful agile fluid etc.... Sort of - "I don't know how to define it, but I know it when I see it!"

2) I have seen it used to describe someone that might not have the "skills", but has the raw ability that the skills can be taught. I have seen many players whose raw ability(speed, strength)has help them overcome poor judgement or bad psositiong

3) I have seen the term "un-athletic" to describe certain "larger" players or teams that seem to attract that type.

4) I have also seen "athletic" used as a PC way of decribing african-american players
jonriv

by EM Speed Guy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:19 pm

Back in the day, we didn't play 'one sport' all year long - those real good athletes were easy to find, they were the shortstop, the quarterback, the track star, etc... In todays 'year round' world of travel ball (in every sport), it is still pretty easy to spot those great athletes (look to the skill positions). Recently we sat with USC baseball coach Dan Hubbs, when asked how he recruits, he said unequivocally that he 'recruits ATHLETES' ... and pitchers :D .. He thinks his program can take the rough edges off of a more 'raw' skill player with unusually good 'athletic' skills and get them up to game speed by the time they need to make a contribution. The other Division 1 coaches we talk to in softball, football and basketball echo that sentiment.

Now to get to the question, What does it mean to be ... athletic. Sometimes known as the 'IT' factor, in our opinion, athleticism is primarily made up of skills that can be acquired - or at the very least, improvements in athleticism. Explosiveness, Range, Power, Strength, Quickness, Speed, Efficiency .. as far as raw 'athleticism', these are some of the factors recruiters, coaches and decision makers are paying attention to. There are some factors that are more natural, or intuitive - like getting a quick jump on a fly ball right off the bat, or having a feel for the game, in which case a coach needs to witness live game reps.

HOW CAN YOU FIND OUT WHERE YOU STAND ATHLETICALLY? PERFORMANCE TESTING
At a recent PGF Softball Combine, we (EM Speed and Power) tested athletes in 5 separate areas of athleticism and 5 areas that were sports specific, giving college coaches an athletic and skill specific 'profile' that gave them the information that would help them with recruiting. I mention this because it solidifies the premise that college coaches use 'athleticism' as a main consideration for recruiting a top level athlete. You can get a profile similar to this and discuss your potential with a qualified coach at http://www.emspeedtraining.com

HOW CAN YOU GET MORE ATHLETIC?
This sounds like a commercial, but .. For the past 10 years, EM has trained upwards of 40,000 athletes with the philosophy that 'a better athlete, does everything better'. As we prepare a Softball Athlete for college and beyond, athleticism and injury prevention are two main focuses that will take an athlete a long way toward their goals. As stated before, the main factors in athleticism can be acquired with the proper training program and supervision. The proper training program, developed by a qualified coach, would include all of the goals not only specific to the sport, but since a softball athlete plays year round, we must train 'seldom used' areas to shore up the demands on an athletes weaker links - which will keep everything firing better and more efficiently, not to mention keep the athlete injury resistant. To find out more call 909-483-9000 or visit http://www.emspeedtraining.com

WHAT SOFTBALL ATHLETES HAS EM TRAINED RECENTLY?
If you look at the current National teams - we have 7 athletes on that list
PGF 18U Premier Champions - every athlete
PGF 16U Premier Champions - every athlete
Big10 Player of the Year
6 of the top 10 HS Seniors in the Nation
... more of a list is available at http://www.emspeedtraining.com
EM Speed Guy

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Pale Rider wrote:
Dugout Dad wrote:I think it is an overused term. Most top level TB players and collegiate players are athletic to a certain extent, they have to be. I hear the term athletic used a lot on teams with average players where the athletic player stands out. I have also seen many athletic kids with the sharpness of a bowling ball.

When I first joined Team Uncle Sam...there was a guy...built like a greek statue...ripped,...never worked out...
I swear if I had his body I 'd walk around buck naked EVERYDAY...Biggest nerd, geek, non athletic, weak, no running, uncoordinated man in the company...looks are deceiving...He got kicked out eventually...

Heard a few years later he had sugar in his tank...

I just threw up in my mouth
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I do not believe that you can look at someone or watch them perform and say 'they are athletic' ... It is my opinion that 'athletic' is also between the ears, in the heart and in the soul of a person.

I was timing the HS team yesterday from home to first ... The athletes were the ones who were not satisfied with their first 3 attempts (which were mandatory) ... The athletes were the ones who said, "Can I go again? " I don't care if they were trying to beat their personal best of 3.90 or 3.02 ... Just my 2 cents
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by tbjd33 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:02 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:I do not believe that you can look at someone or watch them perform and say 'they are athletic' ... It is my opinion that 'athletic' is also between the ears, in the heart and in the soul of a person.

I was timing the HS team yesterday from home to first ... The athletes were the ones who were not satisfied with their first 3 attempts (which were mandatory) ... The athletes were the ones who said, "Can I go again? " I don't care if they were trying to beat their personal best of 3.90 or 3.02 ... Just my 2 cents

Can I go again?? Ok so then in my mind if I try really hard I will beat Usain Bolt in the next Olympics. It's all mental and heart right?!?!

An athlete is someone who can move in a coordinated way with a good understand of their body. At a place like EM they do similar movements for a particular sport to help improve that trait. An athlete isn't the fastest, jumps the highest, moves the quickest etc... They do those things well and will excel in any sport they play. That's why coaches like "athletes".

Oh Mr EM... Hubby gets to choose from the cream of the crop. He never doesn't see an athlete he only sees the top 1%. Actually know him pretty well from his days at Cal.

Great Coach and great man!
tbjd33

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:42 pm

tbjd33 wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:I do not believe that you can look at someone or watch them perform and say 'they are athletic' ... It is my opinion that 'athletic' is also between the ears, in the heart and in the soul of a person.

Can I go again?? Ok so then in my mind if I try really hard I will beat Usain Bolt in the next Olympics. It's all mental and heart right?!?!
An athlete is someone who can move in a coordinated way with a good understand of their body. At a place like EM they do similar movements for a particular sport to help improve that trait. An athlete isn't the fastest, jumps the highest, moves the quickest etc... They do those things well and will excel in any sport they play. That's why coaches like "athletes".

Oh Mr EM... Hubby gets to choose from the cream of the crop. He never doesn't see an athlete he only sees the top 1%. Actually know him pretty well from his days at Cal.

No, I said " I do not believe that you can look at someone or watch them perform and say 'they are athletic' ... It is my opinion that 'athletic' is also between the ears, in the heart and in the soul of a person " .. You can't see that from the stands ...

As far as you beating UsainBolt ... Well, maybe not you, but the athletic people who excel have something more than the physical traits you speak of... IMHO

As for me ... It's almost 5, at which time I will move in a coordinated way with a good understand of my body in the general direction of the cooler ... I love being athletic :lol:
GIMNEPIWO

by Fastpitch4Life » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:02 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
tbjd33 wrote:

No, I said " I do not believe that you can look at someone or watch them perform and say 'they are athletic' ... It is my opinion that 'athletic' is also between the ears, in the heart and in the soul of a person " .. You can't see that from the stands ...

As far as you beating UsainBolt ... Well, maybe not you, but the athletic people who excel have something more than the physical traits you speak of... IMHO

As for me ... It's almost 5, at which time I will move in a coordinated way with a good understand of my body in the general direction of the cooler ... I love being athletic :lol:

Nailed it!! :lol:
"I learned the path to Heaven is full of sinners and believers,
learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers."
Fastpitch4Life
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:48 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:As for me ... It's almost 5, at which time I will move in a coordinated way with a good understand of my body in the general direction of the cooler ... I love being athletic :lol:

I think that's call alcoholic...Close to athletic but not quite... :lol:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:52 am

Battle wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:As for me ... It's almost 5, at which time I will move in a coordinated way with a good understanding of my body in the general direction of the cooler ... I love being athletic :lol:

I think that's call alcoholic...Close to athletic but not quite... :lol:

Po - tay - toe / po- ta- toe ... Toe- may- toe / Toe- ma- toe
GIMNEPIWO

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions